PDA

View Full Version : I bought a 2000 Yamaha Bear Tracker..what's the scoop on this machine??

dougspcs
11-30-2011, 11:46 AM
I found a 2000 Bear Tracker 250 2x4 locally for $800. I don't know anything about the Yamaha machines or this model personally but the condition is decent, all the major mechanicals are good..differential, engine, transmission..etc. Seemed like too good a deal to pass up!

I like the design..meaning single cylinder, basic mechanical 5 speed semi-auto with shaft drive. Looks like Yamaha cloned the 250ES drivetrain and why not it's bulletproof, hopefully the quality is comparable. Simple mechanics, no electronic crap like traction control and what not! I've been all over this machine, took it apart and cleaned, lubed and adjusted..so far I see nothing bad!

I'm cleaning it up for my brother as a starter machine..change the fluids, replace the worn out tie-rods, install a couple tires.

Just wondering what these machines are like from a reliability perspective?? Am I giving him a decent machine with a good number of years left??

tx200m
12-02-2011, 07:18 PM
Looks pretty good for the money!

leevarnado
12-02-2011, 11:15 PM
i have a bear tracker,there are pretty decent bikes,the motor will swap right in the ytm225 and shares alot of the same parts.

dougspcs
12-09-2011, 02:11 PM
i have a bear tracker,there are pretty decent bikes,the motor will swap right in the ytm225 and shares alot of the same parts.

Thanks, good to know about the motor..I just did an oil change and found some metal flakes in the filter. Damn!!!

Anyway, I will do the oil change and run it and see where it might end up.

So you know that this motor is a direct swap from experience? Are there any others??

I may need a motor!!

leevarnado
12-09-2011, 04:16 PM
motors that are interchangeable i know of are beartracker,timberwolf,ytm225,ytm200,yfm200,yfm225 .

hillbilly 200x
12-09-2011, 04:25 PM
KEEP THE DIFF OIL CLEAN!!!!!! friends of my dads have them and as soon as they get any water in the diff's they will blow apart and take the axle with them. just my .02

dougspcs
12-09-2011, 05:38 PM
KEEP THE DIFF OIL CLEAN!!!!!! friends of my dads have them and as soon as they get any water in the diff's they will blow apart and take the axle with them. just my .02

I hear you..there is so much about this machine that is the same as the 250ES it's scary. Almost like a Honda ripoff..but I did check it and replace the fluid.

Thanks for the heads up 'leevarnado'..I will be on the lookout for as engine from one of these machines. I think it will be needing it soon!!

bigredridr
12-09-2011, 05:45 PM

my father in law has one, they are decent machines the rear end are noted to have issues. odds are the rearend will go out before the engine.

dougspcs
12-09-2011, 11:07 PM
my father in law has one, they are decent machines the rear end are noted to have issues. odds are the rearend will go out before the engine.

Even with filings in the filter?? I hope it last a while..it's my brothers 1st machine. If I can see him thru a season then help him dump it and upgrade then I'll be happy.

Did these engines have any problems to explain the filings? They were pretty fine and contained small black flecks..I thought maybe part of the timing chain guide??

hillbilly 200x
12-09-2011, 11:30 PM
my father in law has one, they are decent machines the rear end are noted to have issues. odds are the rearend will go out before the engine. Yes don't forget yamaha's great splines on there axles. My buddy is on his 2nd OEM axle and my dads bigbear is one 2nd to. I am trying to talk him into a br but so fare it wasn't work. :(

Even with filings in the filter?? I hope it last a while..it's my brothers 1st machine. If I can see him thru a season then help him dump it and upgrade then I'll be happy.

Did these engines have any problems to explain the filings? They were pretty fine and contained small black flecks..I thought maybe part of the timing chain guide?? You never know what the P.O. had put in it befor you got it, there may have been some stuff in the oil can you just never know. I would run it for a weekend and then dump the oil. It is pretty cheap to rebuild the top end on that bike if it does ever need a rebuild to.

dougspcs
12-10-2011, 09:06 AM
Yes don't forget yamaha's great splines on there axles. My buddy is on his 2nd OEM axle and my dads bigbear is one 2nd to. I am trying to talk him into a br but so fare it wasn't work. :(
You never know what the P.O. had put in it befor you got it, there may have been some stuff in the oil can you just never know. I would run it for a weekend and then dump the oil. It is pretty cheap to rebuild the top end on that bike if it does ever need a rebuild to.

Thanks for the props 'hillbilly'..I hope to get the carb cleaned and setup this weekend and take it for a spin.

atvnut
05-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Twolf with an improved frame.
Good beginner machine for sure

Angore
05-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Even with filings in the filter??

When you found the filings , did you pick some out & hold a magnet to them ( to determine if they were aluminum or steel) ?
Could be a big help down the road .

dudethatssick
05-10-2012, 11:33 PM
I had a 2001 model that I had gotten brand new, and being 9 yrs old, beat the absolute crap out of it for ten years. I was an ignorant kid and did virtually no maintenance on it. Probably 5 oil changes over ten years and 3 filter cleanings. It ran on a soaked air filter many a times. After ten years of ridiculous abuse, it finally began to burn oil and the clutch began to slip. From my personal experience, Beartrackers are BULLETPROOF and looking back I'm ashamed I ever treated it as bad as I did. Never again will I neglect a machine like that, and I'm curious as to how long she would have lasted if I would have taken care of the poor thing. Great bikes.