PDA

View Full Version : 1983 atc 110 needs help

Mikeys3
12-01-2011, 06:17 AM
My atc 110 has an oil leak that ends up in the exhaust. I got gaskets on order, changed the carb, what could be the cause?

dcreel
12-01-2011, 10:22 AM
So, is it burning oil? Smoke out the tailpipe, or just oily inside the tailpipe? Do you have a compression checker? How is it running besides the oil leak? Or is the oil leak so bad you have no spark? Have you owned this 110 for a while, or is it new to you?

Mikeys3
12-01-2011, 10:26 PM
No i have only had it 2 months and because of the oil burning and smoke, it has a loss of power and it wont idle without the throttle pushed in a little(need to adjust the carb) but after about 15 pulls it will start and run good i guess. I havent really been able to ride it cause it needed a chain and new carb and now im trying to get this leak taken care of before the first snow so i can do some sled pulling.

SWRWIZ1
12-04-2011, 09:56 PM
I would bet it is low on compression, hence the hard starting, along with that you prob have valve guides and seats that are worn in the head, letting the oil into the cylinder...

Mikeys3
12-04-2011, 11:19 PM
Well there is no oil in the spark plug chamber, and the spark plug wasnt gapped. So what should my repair plan consist of? I have the top end seals and gaskets ordered and I was thinking about ordering new piston rings.

wisconsinite
12-05-2011, 05:46 PM
before you buy parts, check the valve clearance. specs should be on this site, search for manual downloads. incorrect valve clearance can cause loss of compression and difficult starting, and it's a relatively simple adjustment to make. this will not affect oil consumtion/smoking, however. but my experience with these horizontal four stroke hondas is they can burn a heck of a lot of oil and still runn pretty good. good luck!