PDA

View Full Version : bigred overheating?

ATCcountryboy
12-02-2011, 11:37 PM
I have a 250 bigred and it seems to get hot extra fast. Sometimes when I ride it for a while(1 hr +) it won't start, sometimes it takes more than a day to start with the ES. Any thought on whats going on?

sweetip2000
12-03-2011, 12:12 AM
Make sure your air filter is clean. If its not breathing it can get real hot, check for cracks in intake boot to carb. Open the carb and clean it out. Use a inline fuel filter. Make sure the gas is not dead. Use fresh gas. Make sure the exhasut is flowing. Just my 2¢.

tri again
12-03-2011, 10:19 AM
I have a 250 bigred and it seems to get hot extra fast. Sometimes when I ride it for a while(1 hr +) it won't start, sometimes it takes more than a day to start with the ES. Any thought on whats going on?

Are you pretty sure it's heat related or perhaps more of a 'duty cycle' effect.
Hot stuff topics I test with a hairdryer...like when you KNOW it will or should start, hit
parts one at a time, like heat up the coil, then the cdi etc. or better when it's running,
heat up different components until it croaks.

Just as a though, if your gas tank vent is plugged or your gas filter/screen is marginal,
it may take a while for new fuel to make it's way to the carb. drip by drip.

I've noticed that some of my 250's will kick start INstantly, but will spin with
5 or 10 shorts bursts with the starter and Not start.
I posted a question about this a few days ago.

Just walk it around to compression stroke and kick it.
Yeah, still not sure what that's all about. Maybe the starter is sucking just enough extra
amperage to diminish the spark...I have NO idea.

x2 with sweetIP
Hot, as in glowing exhaust pipe could mean lean.
Timing and mixture, valve adjust etc.
Maybe time for a full once over.

yeah, and real funny that they'll start with 1/2 kick but not with
a healthy fast electric starter spin.

ATCcountryboy
12-03-2011, 07:50 PM
It happend again today! I went riding for about 45 minutes and put it in the garage. I went to start it up and it made a clicking noise...it didn't even try to turn over. Just put new fuel in it. Its making me MAD! It might be lean because whenever I let off the gas it sputters. And I checked the air filter and it was brown...do you thing thats why its getting hot. I will most likley end up having to change the cdi and coil. Somethings going on because I know its not normal. I would like to be able to go on a 3+ hour ride without it acting up.