PDA

View Full Version : carb flooding and gas in the oil

lou32
12-03-2011, 08:28 PM
its a 84 200es and the carb is flooding and i changed the oil to find that it was there as well any answers to this problem

hoosierlogger
12-03-2011, 08:41 PM
Stuck float in the carb causing gas to flow backwards thru carb and dripping into your cylinder, then finding its way through the rings in ti the crank case?

lou32
12-03-2011, 08:47 PM
going to get a carb kit but what about the o-ring to the crank case

hoosierlogger
12-03-2011, 09:06 PM
What o ring are you talking about to the crank case? There shouldnt be any other way for gas to get in the oil than thru the cylinder. If its not going around the piston, then you have major problems.

lou32
12-03-2011, 09:14 PM
ok so a carb rebuild is not going to fix the problem?

muthey
12-04-2011, 03:45 AM
ok lou32 you are way confused I take it. If you do a carb kit and clean the carb completely it should fix your flooding problem, gas will bypass around the ring more easily than oil so if you weren't burning oil before you should be all right. We are not sure what crankcase o-ring you are talking about as tranny oil and cylinder oil on fourstrokes are one in the same. If you are seriously concerned and thinking about doing a rebuild I highly recommend downloading a manual from here before tearing into it. http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/ I once had to change the oil on an 83 185's that we flooded with water through the intake inlet. It is still running today with no oil burn so if that answers your concerns with it going down the cylinder I'm glad.

hoosierlogger
12-04-2011, 08:33 AM
It sounds to me like the fuel inlet needle has some trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro on it or the seat, not letting the gas flow shut off. If the overflow hose is plugged, that would make the extra gas run into the cylinder if it cant get out of the carb through the overflow passage. The rebuild should fix it along with a good thorough cleaning.

lou32
12-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Thanks hoosier the info is very helpful! im not quick to tear it down just wanted to know is there was another issue within the motor! sorry for the confusion! i ordered the carb rebuild kit and soaking the carb in cleaner and will do a good blowout with compressed air i do have a manual for this model but somethings the manual just cant answer and oce like the float should be 0.49 in or 12mm im thinking thats 1/2 inch but will let you know how things are comming along

SWRWIZ1
12-04-2011, 10:14 PM
trick for setting you floats and checking the needle condition.
1. Pull the bowl off the carb and turn carb upside down.
2. put a piece of preferably new fuel hose about 1' long on fuel inlet port of carb
3. insert end of fuel hose in your mouth and blow with consistant presure, if you cannot blow through it you needle is seating in the seat good
4. Take your fingers and gently raise the floats up (this will be pulling the needle out of the seat) you should start to be able to blow through hose at this point
5. Let the floats back down and see if it shuts air off again..
6. turn carb back right side up (floats will drop down all the way)
7. push floats up until the stop air flow (note position)
8. they should shut air off about 1/4" from when they reach top (ballpark figure)
9. if adjustment is not close, bend float tang to adjust.

If at full close of the float the needle will not shut off air supply this means that either the needle or the seat has gotten some debri in them or they have worn grooves in them and need to be replaced...