PDA

View Full Version : 350X swingarm question

atclover350
12-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Ive finally got a swingarm for my 86 350x. Its in ok condition but I figured I should try and make it look as good as possible. These are made of steel not aluminum so would paint stick to this? I have purchased some chrome paint and clear coat, but is it worth doing or would it make it look worse? Thanks for any help.

ATCcountryboy
12-05-2011, 07:44 PM
I would powdercoat it.

jb2wheels
12-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Painting steel is the same as painting anything else - the prep (clean and rust free) is the key.

Will chrome paint make it better or worse - define better or worse than what? What's the goal and budget?

Since you already bought the chrome paint, prep the arm and try it. If you don't like it, scuff it and paint it some other color. Unless chrome paint has changed a lot recenlty, it won't look like chrome but you might still like the results

I've painted 2 swingarms recently - both on 84 200x's. Both got cleaned, then wire brushed (with a wheel in my drill), then cleaned with brake cleaner.

The first I painted with duplicolor silver wheel paint. Looks nice - similar to stock.
The second I painted with white auto paint poly BC/CC over epoxy primer. It looks great. I used the paint because I had it left over from another project. It's kinda pricey but I did the frame, too. I wish I had enough to paint the gas tanks but I'm too cheap to buy another batch.

I'll be painting my 350X swingarm in the near future. I'll clean it up and bead blast (it in my $75 Craigslist blasting cabinet!) then prime and paint with Duplicolot hi-temp engine paint. I've been using this paint a lot lately based on another board member recommendation. It's cheap, it dries fast, and it seems to hold up to chemicals well for a rattle can.

Good luck!

atclover350
12-05-2011, 08:03 PM
Well its not in that bad of condition. I would almost throw it on without doing anything to it but since its a complete resto i really wanted it to look good. It just has a few small places where the paint has came off. In order to paint it, what should I do to prep it? Also would a couple coats of clear coat be a good idea? Also how much would it cost to get it powder coated? Thanks

RIDE-RED 250r
12-05-2011, 08:12 PM
I have used a product called "Tal-Strip II Aircraft Coating Remover" with very good results. Just spray it on and watch the old paint bubble up in minutes. It practically falls off. Sometimes a second application in nooks and crannies is needed. But all in all it's very fast and easy to use. Just use it in a well ventilated area as the fumes are pretty strong. Don't get it on bare skin either, it does tend to get a little warm. Once you strip it and then clean the piece with brake cleaner or any other cleaner that dries quickly and leaves no residue, you should be ready to paint it or get it powdercoated.

Powder coating would probably run you $100 and up depending on the rates at the shop. Powder coating is a little pricey, but it's alot more resilient. Which is nice for parts like swingarms that tend to be subjected to bumps, nicks and dings.

Huntsman
12-06-2011, 12:05 PM
You should have it powdercoated or plated. If you must paint it use a good paint strip and clean it thouroughly. Then degrease it and apply a basecoat or primer. Let this dry then apply a second coat. Repeat for as many coats of paint as you feel is neccessary but let them dry between applications then apply your clearcoat.

I would also like to add that pait does better if it is sprayed around 70-80 degrees F and is not subjected to direct sunlight.

fabiodriven
12-06-2011, 12:09 PM
There is nothing wrong with painting steel. Your mistake was buying "chrome" paint. Nothing screams hack louder than "chrome" or "gold" spray paint.

Tking
12-06-2011, 01:29 PM
I've painted several 350x swingarms recently. What I've done is first bead blast it clean, then spray a coat of primer, then several coats of spray several coats silver color (as close to the original color as I could find) then several coats of clear. Both swing arms I did this way and they look real good. Just take your time and don't rush the paint drying process and it will turn out great.
You can always get it powder coated if you want but it will cost a lot more.

Mr. Clean
12-06-2011, 02:56 PM
I have painted everything on my trikes until my last build where I did experiment with a powder coater. Based on the fact that you already bought some spray bombs, I guess you do not have an air compressor, and the equipement to apply a proper paint job. I fail to see where it would be cheaper to paint something correctly versus powder, note I said correctly. Automotive quality paint would be doing it correct and the supplies are not cheap.

I was just at a powder coater and they wanted $75 to powder a swinger. That is degrease, blast, all prep work and powder coat.

To paint yourself would require all the prep work to get it ready for paint, if you take it to bare metal......then you will want to buy a proper base primer (epxoy or self etching) in a quart ~$40, then a pint of paint say enamel, you will need reducer, and hardener ~$40. Or you could do single stage urethane which ususally only requires a reducer. Either way you are going to have at least $75 into those supplies + your time to get it prepped.

Or you could just go hack and spray bomb it.

There are a number of options. However if you go and make the swinger look great what about the rest of the trike? If it is a rider, just use some soap and water and install that pup.....

Tking
12-07-2011, 12:28 AM
I agree that powder coating looks fantastic, I would jump at $75 for a powder coater to do a swingarm.

It all depends on how much money you want or have to spend on it.

My closest option for powder coating is about 20 miles from my house and he charges min $125 weather he powder coats a frame or a swingarm and I have to bring it to him clean. Clean means acid washed with a rust inhibitor applied (not sand or bead blasted) the guy is way to fussy but I don't have another option right now. The place where I have to go to get parts acid washed is 35 miles from my house and they charge $50 for there service. So I have two trips to the powder coater and two trips to the acid wash place which is around 220 miles total that costs me another $47 in gas and thats not including the time I have to take off work to get this all done.

I've done this several times and its a pain unless you have a lot of parts to do all at once.

Thats why I decided to paint a few things myself and they turned out great.