PDA

View Full Version : My ATC250

another owner
12-07-2011, 03:11 AM
Hey everyone, Finally got some photos of my ATC. I'm having trouble finding exactly what ATC 250 it would be (ES/SX big red). Problems with it at the moment is no starter motor, No starter motor Cogs/Gears, No Plastic protector for the starter motor and gears.

kick start doesn't engage but will release after kicking it down (Doesnt engage but clicks back up) if anyone knows what could be the possible cause of that, That would be good I'm not mechanically minded an im not exactly keen to pull it apart because I have a issue where I start tearing at something and lose interest when I peed off with it, And my luck with successfully fixing stuff is slim.

Half the VIN numbers have been scratched/removed off which pissed me off when I found out after deciding to get it going after the previous owner put the boot up it and sold it on. The numbers showing are "GM109211" And according to identifying what i can I'm glad the letter 'G' which turns out to be the 10th digit on the VIN/Frame numbers resembles the year 1986. And according to what i have compared to the stats here http://www.3wheelerworld.com/oldsite/1986HondaSpecpage.shtml it seems that mine is a ATC250SX The wheel size is what it says on the statatistics shown on that page. And my Engine number is "TE04E-5165985" (Google doesnt show up anything for that).

Has no front brake cable and lever and the rear foot brake lever stays down.

I haven't got it running as of yet but if someone can clarify what it is exactly then that would really put me a step ahead on what i need to source.

And enough of the yakkin here's the photos of my toy(s)
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg41/scaled.php?server=41&filename=hpim0749e.jpg&res=medium
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg337/scaled.php?server=337&filename=hpim0748o.jpg&res=medium
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg842/scaled.php?server=842&filename=hpim0747l.jpg&res=medium

And the buggy - Got a work mate to give the ol'mate carby a good soak and clean and now it hums along the river-beds, through some decent streams and up some wicked hills. Unfortunately it's getting too small for me I can barely get in and out of the dam thing every time it conks out or stalls I have to do the whole stand up and get out through the top type of thing just to start it back up. Also has no brakes that 'work' :lock: Engine braking for the crash.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg38/scaled.php?server=38&filename=hpim0751c.jpg&res=medium
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg7/scaled.php?server=7&filename=hpim0750t.jpg&res=medium

Back to the yakkin, My original plan was to if I manage to get the three wheeler up and running I was thinking on swapping the ass end off the three wheeler onto the buggy seeing i like the idea of the whole shaft driven axle, But as i get bigger and the buggy becomes a tighter squeeze for comfort AND after watching hours of you tube clips of 3 wheeler fun that plan has gone down the drain, Which I must say will probably make you all happy :lol:.

Sick.

ytm200steve
12-07-2011, 03:21 AM
by the looks of the headlight thats a 250sx

ytm200steve
12-07-2011, 03:29 AM
by the looks of headlight 250sx and most the parts interchange with the two

MonroeMike
12-07-2011, 03:53 AM
TE04E-5165985 = 1985 engine

another owner
12-07-2011, 04:02 AM
So what has happened right, At some stage the original motor has been replaced. If i were to try get the items I need to fix the bike I could still use the parts off of a 1986 atc 250 as long as the motor has 'TE04E' then the parts will be the same.

thestud25
12-07-2011, 11:18 AM
It is definitely a 250sx. My guess is that you now are in the possession of a stolen trike. Half the VIN is scraped off and the entire trike is spray bombed. I would be very apprehensive to put any money into it.

I like your creek buggy. The one thing I would do is run a snorkel up to the top of the roll cage.

another owner
12-07-2011, 01:44 PM
I see. I will look into it more over the next couple days, Hopefully the trike has been retrieved from when/if it was stolen. I will most likely notify the police that way I don't have feel wrong for retrieving and putting money in to it.

Finding a good working trike here in new zealand isn't easy, I'm not a big fan of the whole pull to start type of thing as apposed to electric, And a 200cc trike just doesn't grasp what I want. And when there is one for sale they seem to be over priced compared to what's for sale in other countries.

Thanks.

Mk3ryan
12-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Good luck with the 250sx. They are pretty bullettproof. You'll probably get it running in no time.

another owner
12-08-2011, 01:36 AM
Thanks for the posts team. Stud, I have come to the conclusion where the bike could have been stolen years ago and then retrieved, But whether or not my guess is right I am not keen to find out.

My plan will hopefully to strip the paint off and give it a good proper coat of red or maybe a good black paint over.

If anyone is good at identifying engines, then can someone point me in the direction on what this motor could be off. Looks very similar to mine, And its a complete motor although i will only be needing the starter motor and the starter motor gears i will end up leaving the rest of it as a back-up seeing it comes with a full loom and everything is there. If i could get it for under $200 (a rough 250USD?) then I find that as a decent buy.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=430391000&permanent=0

Thank you all.

Stalkingpoles
12-08-2011, 09:05 AM
Wow its like looking in a mirror, I just bought a 250sx for $250, it looks JUST like that, the black spray paint and all. Exept mine has a 400ex carb and aftermarket airfilter, My kickstart does the same thing. Exept mine will engage 25% of the time, but its about out. There is a one-way bearing that controls the kickstart and when the bearing begins to wear out it just slips. The reason for this is because the kickstart was a backup for the sx. The main way to start them was the electric start, so these bearing didnt last too long. To replace it you will need to remove the side cover and buy a new gasket for it. As for the rear brake arm staying down, thats because your brake cam(the arm) is seized up inside the drum. To fix this you need to remove the drum and shoes on the rear brake and remove the arm (spot where cables attach) on the brake cam. Then you will need to carefully pry that shaft out of the brake, this will be very difficult i recomend alot of pb blaster. then you want to sand the rust off the cam, lubricate the hell out of it, then slide it back in, replace brake shoes if nessisary and do some adjustments and your brakes will work like a charm. If your machine isnt running tell me if its getting spark or not i might be able to help, i fixed mine for.. nothing i just had to bypass the killswitch (:

another owner
12-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Dude, Thank you so much. I will look into that bearing you're talking about and There's a service manual on here that i bookmarked on my browser as a just in case.
It will always be good have a back up way of starting it, I don't think you can always rely on electrics. I will have a quick nose around in the search function when i get some time.

I will have to have a search around for the front brake lever and cord, With only a rear brake I will most likely find it a bit dodgy.

Thank you so much for the reply, That has put a smile on my face.

MonroeMike
12-08-2011, 02:04 PM
More info here.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/126168-ATC250-(es-sx)-amp-TRX250-Service-Data

another owner
12-09-2011, 06:54 PM
OK, So I found a thread with a diagram of the bearing I may need to replace. I tried replying on it but unfortunately im too new. the link is http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/65263-kickstart-slipping-on-250-big-red
And my question is how much of an issue is it to remove and replace that bearing, From what I sort of see it look like I might have to disassemble the clutch to fix the problem.

What Team red rider said, "its 99.9% the one way clutch sprag . if you dont replace it you risk damaging alot more and spending 50% more to fix it". Can someone explain what else gets damaged, And does the damage occur when the motor is running or when you keep trying to kick it over?

Also, What sort of tools am I going to need to use eg; Socket set/pliers?

Thanks.

chuckiedog04
12-10-2011, 12:05 AM
really like that buggy!

another owner
12-10-2011, 02:53 AM
Thanks, I may be selling it soon, It's getting too small for me to fit in and out of. I'm gutted I don't live in america, Trying to find a reasonable priced racing trike here is like rock'n'horse trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro. I plan to save up enough to maybe import one from the US, They seem to go for as little as 600-800bucks for rough conditioned. The part that may hurt will probably be the import cost after tax and freight it will get costly, They only weigh couple hundred kg's.

There's a couple advertised here but people want a arm and a leg for'em.