PDA

View Full Version : forklift gloat

plastikosmd
12-07-2011, 05:41 PM
I got a sweet 12" hendy metal shaper with all the bells and whistles. Weight is not too bad, maybe 4000lbs. I was unable to get the shaper into my shop due to the wet lawn and location of the door. Had to have it dropped in the garage. For some reason my wife does not think the shaper belongs in the garage. I sold my hydraulic lift trailer some years ago. Not really kicking myself as my shop was pretty much done till this deal came around. I paid 200 or so for the shaper.
To move the shaper across my very sloped and tilted lawn, I had planned to build a sled, if not a trailer to get it back there. I had a bunch of steel sitting around, I cut it up and build a frame.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j5/plastikosmd/c2d1da86.jpg

Of course I used my cool little hypertherm to cut the steel, thus proving to my wife that I needed that plasma cutter.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j5/plastikosmd/a838c13a.jpg

Well it came time to move it, on thanksgiving with dad and the brother in law to help. I dug out my trusty JD 3320 to give it a lift and a tug. Tug it did, lift, not so much.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j5/plastikosmd/200espartbike.jpg
While I knew it wasnt gonna pick it up, my goal was to just lift the front a touch, chain it and drag it back to the door. When I saw that I could only clear 2" in lift on concrete, I aborted as not to get it 1/2 there and then stuck in lawn. Now I had to consider hiring a 4wd forklift/towtruck or something to get it behind the house. I started lookin on craigslist and ran acoss a ranger forklift for sale. I had seen one of these for sale years and years ago. In fact there was no name on the lift but I had remembered researching it and felt it would be the perfect forklift for me. I did not have the space at the time or the need. Low and behold now we have a need. A deal was struck and I had it delivered. For me it is the perfect machine (home in suburbs, I know, I know)
Clark Ranger
4wd, can be FWD or RWD or both
Articulates both side-side and up/down for rough travel
12 lift height
pneumatic tires for lawn travel with good flotation
6000lb capacity (underrated, previous seller lifted 8k all the time, rated for military in vietnam, I guess it's last job was to pick up a 12x12 foot building, done with ease on 24" load center
Easy to work on, 6 cylinder continental

What I dont get is why my wife doesnt think the shaper was a great deal?

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j5/plastikosmd/314844b4.jpg

thestud25
12-07-2011, 06:00 PM
I think it is effing amazing!! I literally laughed out loud reading this. However all I could think about when you said you paid $200 for a 2 tons machine was you could scrap it and make money(I know really redneck).

What are your plans for the newly acquired machine(s)?

Dirtcrasher
12-07-2011, 07:06 PM
Talk about ruining the neighborhood silence :lol:

Thorpe
12-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Women just dont have the same sense of humor as the male species, do they...?

rkoley1
12-07-2011, 09:22 PM
I want that Mack rollback!!

plastikosmd
12-07-2011, 09:47 PM
ya, is a nice truck, he wants to sell, not sure on price. I thought the forklift would weigh in at around 12k lbs. Driver thinks I was off by a bit, was throwin him all over the road he said.

how u been DC?
neighborhood hasnt been quiet with me around for a while. no cops of late chasin me down on the trikes, that has been nice

aldochina
12-07-2011, 10:09 PM
hilarious man!! want to see more pics of the move, and then the shaper in action!! i had no idea they were that heavy!!

plastikosmd
12-07-2011, 10:18 PM
Ya they are hefty. Small benchtop types are 6" stroke and they are pretty light. Once u go to the free standing, whole different machine. Seen one that was 15k lbs. U should see the chunks if metal it would peel off.

aldochina
12-07-2011, 10:42 PM
wish i new what to do with one! what exactly is the difference between a shaper and a lathe??

just ben
12-07-2011, 11:27 PM
I think everyone in the burbs needs a big forklift and a tractor (with a back hoe).and just think on april first you can put the ole ladies car on the roof! sweet buy on the lift but now what? it could be a money maker but you would need to be able to transport it. I guess now theres a need for the rollback lol.

plastikosmd
12-08-2011, 08:19 AM
Shaper is like an early milling machine. Lathe is for round. Shaper is for making flat profiles. Not needed much today but a blast to run. Gives mirror like finish and still a great tool for cutting internal keyways