PDA

View Full Version : big red getting hot

ATCcountryboy
12-07-2011, 06:44 PM
My 250 big red seems to get hot fast. Sometimes when I ride it for more than an hour and try to start it up again it wont start. Sometimes it wont start for a couple days, it will only kick start. My air filter is dirty, could that be the problem? Do you think the oil has anything to to with it? It would be nice to be able to go on a 2+ hour ride without it getting to hot.

PINHEADED
12-07-2011, 06:46 PM
Check for leaks around you cylinder head could be gaskets

thestud25
12-07-2011, 06:55 PM
When was the last time you changed the oil? If you do not know or can't remember start there. You need to change the oil filter when you change the oil as well. I would put a clean new air filter in or at least clean the dirty one as well.

tri again
12-07-2011, 07:01 PM
My 250 big red seems to get hot fast. Sometimes when I ride it for more than an hour and try to start it up again it wont start. Sometimes it wont start for a couple days, it will only kick start. My air filter is dirty, could that be the problem? Do you think the oil has anything to to with it? It would be nice to be able to go on a 2+ hour ride without it getting to hot.

x2 with the other posts.

A dirty air filter is like running with partial choke.
Too hot isd classic lean .
How do you know it's hot?
Glowing headpipe?
What kinda muffler you got?

I have a few that much prefer kick start to electric spin. but no answers on that yet.

Hit the coil with a hairdryer while it's running and see if that kills it and then all the other components as well, like the cdi.

Do you have spark during the 'days' it takes to cool down?

ATCcountryboy
12-07-2011, 07:27 PM
It dosent glow it just feels very hot after about 45 mins. I dont know if it has a spark...it clicks once when I try to start it. I dont know when the last oil change was because I just got it not to long ago. I have the origonal muffler. It might run lean because it sputters when I let off the gas.