PDA

View Full Version : 1985 honda 250sx wont start!

Stalkingpoles
12-08-2011, 08:37 AM
My 250 sx was running beautifuly yesterday, then today when i came home it would not kick over. It has spark, it has gas going to it. has air flow. I even cleaned the carb and still nothing. My neutral swtch wire is in place (i have no battery so is there a way to make sure that its working?) I even sprayed starting fluid down the cylinder and still no fire, can anyone help??? thanks.

ytm200steve
12-08-2011, 12:35 PM
dose it have compression? did it backfire at all sometimes them hondas jump time and wont run but usaly it will backfire or die out first if that didnt happen its probaly not your problem i would clean your carb and if that dont help hook up the jumpers and see if it will start with electric start

Stalkingpoles
12-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Compression is ok, carbs already been cleaned and rebuilt, after about 20 kicks it started but was very boggy then immediatly died, then another 20 kicks later it DID backfire, what can I do to fix this? And the starter is bad but if I know it will run, I can replace the starter

3wheely
12-08-2011, 03:40 PM
I agree with ytm. Sounds like timing. I had this happen to a 200x of mine and it had jumped timing.

tri again
12-08-2011, 04:45 PM
My 250 sx was running beautifuly yesterday, then today when i came home it would not kick over. It has spark, it has gas going to it. has air flow. I even cleaned the carb and still nothing. My neutral swtch wire is in place (i have no battery so is there a way to make sure that its working?) I even sprayed starting fluid down the cylinder and still no fire, can anyone help??? thanks.

Hi
Pretty sure the neutral safety switch only keeps the starter from spinning if it's not in neutral but should
kick start.
Just to be sure, you can simply ground the n safety switch to the case but then it WILL start in gear,
They will also start without a battery.
I have one with the 4 ignition wires disconnected and no battery and it will kick start
and the indicators light will glow when it starts and the headlight works.

Are you sure there's fuel flow?
Gas tank vent clogged?
Then again, you say it won't even spit sputter with gas or starting fluid.
Good spark, right?
I wonder where these things get their spark advance from?
Maybe it's stuck in advanced position.
Does it kick back really hard?

ytm200steve
12-08-2011, 08:23 PM
if it backfired and was running that rough its the timing reset it and i bet you it will fire right up and run like a champ

Keepah Rolln
12-13-2011, 04:22 PM
Whats the spark plug look like? What position is your gas switch on? Sometimes I forget and think I have plenty of gas and it needs to be put on reserve tank....