PDA

View Full Version : Big Red 250es Bogging at WOT

RidingOn3
12-11-2011, 06:48 PM
New member here (just posted in new members area). I Just got my trike up and running and now I'm having an issue with WOT. It starts right up, has fresh gas, I rebuild the carb, idles fine, new vacuum lines. If I rev it up quick or ease into the throttle is seems to be ok but if I hit wide open and hold the engine will shutoff. It will sputter and pop if hit it Wide open quickly but if I hold it WOT it will die out.

I just rebuilt the carb, got the idle set right, the idle mixer screw is set at 2.5 turns out. I'm wondering if I put the jets in the correct places as there are 2 jets thats will thread into the same places. The rebuid kit did not specify and online diagrams are not very clear. I'd really like to get this beast up an running. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

tri again
12-11-2011, 07:33 PM
250??

from float side
is:
float
130 main
press in cold jet
pilot screw

Now, under ONE of those suckers is an emulsion tube about
an inch long prob full of muckrust too and it just sits in there.

RidingOn3
12-11-2011, 07:40 PM
Thanks for that Pic and info! The rebuild kit I got came with everything short of one jet (I believe). It also came with a 1" brass looking tube thing That I could't figure out where it goes. I'm just trying to figure out if I got them in the right places. There were 2 that would interchange positions (one of which my rebuild kit did not include). As far as the Emulsion tube you are talking about, that's probably the piece I have left over that I can't locate. I'm going to pull the carb back off. Thanks

RidingOn3
12-11-2011, 10:38 PM
well I pulled the carb apart again i had the 130 main jet and the smaller jet at the opposite end reversed. Problem now is that smaller jet didnt come with my rebuild kit and it's plugged up so the trike wont start and idle anymore. I'm guessing I'll be ordering that jet seperately.. Is it a #45 jet? The one right below the rubber plug? It's so small i cant get compressed air to blow through it.

Stonewall
12-11-2011, 10:40 PM
Just curious; why you are wanting to run your Big Red wide open in the first place??

RidingOn3
12-11-2011, 10:42 PM
I don't want to run it wide open, but if I throttle it to WOT (wide open throttle) it bogs and sputters... make sense?

MonroeMike
12-12-2011, 02:24 AM
More info.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/126168-ATC250-(es-sx)-amp-TRX250-Service-Data

RidingOn3
12-12-2011, 02:31 AM
More info.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/126168-ATC250-(es-sx)-amp-TRX250-Service-Data
Now that's going to be super helpful! Thank you!

RidingOn3
12-16-2011, 11:40 AM
Well guys just a quick update. I ordered the #42 jet that was plugged up and wasn't included in my kit. I put all the jets in the correct positions (pretty sure) and it fired up on the first kick. The trike idles well and rides around fine but if I try to mat the throttle it will get a stumble. I ried messing with the idle mixture screw but I can't get it to clear up. I can ride it around fine easing into the throttle. Plus the trike will run with the screw turned all the way in which I find odd. Other than that I gave it some fresh oil and its all back together. Any ideas!

3wheely
12-16-2011, 12:00 PM
Well guys just a quick update. I ordered the #42 jet that was plugged up and wasn't included in my kit. I put all the jets in the correct positions (pretty sure) and it fired up on the first kick. The trike idles well and rides around fine but if I try to mat the throttle it will get a stumble. I ried messing with the idle mixture screw but I can't get it to clear up. I can ride it around fine easing into the throttle. Plus the trike will run with the screw turned all the way in which I find odd. Other than that I gave it some fresh oil and its all back together. Any ideas!

The jet wasn't cleanable? A little carb cleaner and compressed air?

RidingOn3
12-16-2011, 12:27 PM
I tried everything to clean the jets. Compressed air, carb cleaner, soaking them etc. It was like they had cement in them. The trike sat for 10 years with gas in it so you can only imagine how bad it was. When I started pulling the carb apart the throttle blades were completely seized. At $20 for a rebuild kit it was the easy way to go. At least it starts and runs now.

drivetime
12-16-2011, 08:07 PM
Have you cleaned all the fuel lines?
If its at for ten years there could be wrong then just the carb? Just throwing out there.
Plus cleaning the gas tank thoroughly would be a must.

RidingOn3
12-16-2011, 08:39 PM
Most of the fuel lines have been replaced since they got dry rotted from sitting.