PDA

View Full Version : Hard starting Yamaha

sr1288
12-11-2011, 08:07 PM
I have a 85 Yamaha 200ER and find it's hard to start. USUSALLY when it has sat for a while it isn't too bad, but when you are using it and turn it off for a few minutes it will roll over for ever before starting! Once it starts it idles perfect, runs great with no other issues. Checked spark, which is fine, cleaned carb?? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks guys.:wondering

motordude
12-11-2011, 08:32 PM
My Turn............. I would post this in the Trikesylvania section. You'll get more feedback from the guru's!

sr1288
12-11-2011, 08:50 PM
Yea I know, but I'm a "newbie" so it won't let me.

motordude
12-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Ahhhhh, thats right, I forgot they changed that. Wish I could help

muthey
12-12-2011, 02:15 AM
what fuel are you running? I actually prefer the yamaha questions lol as I know more about them than hondas lol. what does the spark plug look like is it blackened, or a light brown what plug are you using with part numbers? Have you checked to see if you are slightly flooding when it does this I went through this trouble for awhile and it turns out that my motor was flooding when I shut it off, but let it sit for awhile with feul shut off and then turn fuel on and start it was just fine till I shut it off again. Mine also idled just fine at that point as well. flooding problem was from an o-ring on the the float needle seat. Replaced that and flooding issue went away. First off I would run it like normal and shut it off to where it has the issue then pull the plug and check the wetness, make sure to use a new plug. Use either a NGK D7ea or a D8ea the 8 is a little hotter, also try to use fuel with as little ethanol as possible and hopefully you don't have fuel with MTBE in it which is very hard on 30yr old carbs.

sr1288
12-12-2011, 06:34 AM
I'm running supreme fuel, which is our best up here in Canada(91 octane no "new" stuff added)), have tried new ngk dr7ea plugs, they don't change anything. When i am just using it around the yard, the plug is slightly black by not wet when i look at it. I can roll it over for a long time with choke either on or off dosn't seem to matter. So I think it's a fuel issue, just not sure what?? Could it be not picking up enough fuel to start somehow??

muthey
12-13-2011, 02:12 AM
I have a feeling it might be valve related, check the gap on them, and maybe go up to a d8ea plug as it runs a little hotter, also clean the foam on your air filter, and slightly reoil it with motor oil, or buy a new foam, also I would spray starter fluid around the intake while it is idleing to check for air leaks.

sr1288
12-13-2011, 12:14 PM
Took carb apart and cleaned it, put a new air filter on it, and upgraded to a dr8ea plug, seems to work great!! Thanks guys!

muthey
12-13-2011, 07:17 PM
Your welcome. make sure to check the valves as well will help in the future to prevent issues