PDA

View Full Version : 82 250R Hard Starting - Float problem

Kozanatos
12-12-2011, 12:38 AM
My rebuilt 82 is a pain to kick over.

Plugs come out wet
If you kick it long enough it will fire, but I usually get tired, or my friend hops on and starts it ( He has a stronger leg to do it, oah gee, I wonder why? Oah he has a 200x, rofl )

usually does a big loud backfire before it starts.
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/2673/float.jpg

brand new cylinder and piston, and crank seals.

Plugs come out rich

another owner
12-12-2011, 01:01 AM
Does fuel leak out after trying to kick it over for a while? If the plugs coming out rich it could be caused by the main jet. Was it always like that to start or just recently after your piston replacement?

Kozanatos
12-12-2011, 01:20 AM
Does fuel leak out after trying to kick it over for a while? Sure does sir - good question
If the plugs coming out rich it could be caused by the main jet. Main jet is a 132.5 ive heard on a stocker main jets should be around there, plus it is winter out and I need more fuel, i cannot go lean on this motor, i will cry
Was it always like that to start or just recently after your piston replacement? Bought it as a non-runner a month ago. Not sure

I was just reminiscing about my carburetor. The brass float does not have holes in it but it felt really thin. I may have to replace it. It sat in gasoline a few days and floated there, i even dunked it and pressed the circles. I have shaken it to listen for fuel also.

No bueno

Kozanatos
12-12-2011, 01:24 AM
Im running with basically no air filter. Replaced crank seals, i have new base gasket and head gasket ( copper, i annealed it and didnt install it with any gasket goo ( permatex/hondabond/etc.)

exhaust is stock, 2 springs on it, no silencer ( chopped it off thinking it was restricting the pipe, but was not )

I ran the motor/ retorqued the head/cylinder after it heated and cooled fully

I did check for leaks with some cleaner, but im running rich so i doubt i have airleaks
exhaust may be plugged?

my head gasket opening is smaller than the cylinder, a tiny bit is in where the piston is at ( i have a 72mm piston, last overbore )
and i have a tiny bit of oil seeping around the head last time I checked, maybe I do not anymore.

ugh

trying to give you all the info

another owner
12-12-2011, 01:59 AM
It may be something as simple as your float, Maybe it isn't shutting off when the bowl gets full, But im guessing it is working if it doesn't piss fuel out until after a couple of kicks (I could be wrong). Have you tried different combinations with starting it i.e; Full throttle with choke out/Half throttle with choke out etc etc? And does it do the same after you have it running till warm? Because you say it backfires it could be timing/ignition related my I have a doubt about that. Try using a Air filter on it, Too much air not enough fuel causing fuel build up.

Kozanatos
12-12-2011, 02:44 AM
When warm, it starts right up again, when cold it doesn't want to start.

By backfire i mean, ill kick it a few times, kick again and a huge POP will come out the exhaust I think. Should i advance or retard my timing?

I should oil and put the air filter back in but the plugs coming out wet every time.

Kozanatos
12-14-2011, 11:18 PM
Found a head leak while it was running yesterday, and i bet my float is not adjusted properly still.

Im going to put a hose on it and blow and keep moving the float until the top of the float lines up with where the bowl bolts on I guess. we'll see how that goes.

Not driving it of course until i fix my head leak.

ytm200steve
12-15-2011, 12:08 AM
you need to get the silencer back on that especialy since you rebuilt it maybe another reason its hard to start when cold some machines are picky ive had some i could run with straight pipes/no airfilter not a prob others wouldn't run right with out them

Kozanatos
12-16-2011, 11:57 AM
I just did it to test if my air filter was plugged so much it was making it run rich.
Ive ran with silencer with filter, without filter. And without silencer with air filter and without

its the head leak that is causing me trouble, along with a bad float level likely