PDA

View Full Version : 200x opinions?

rodeofan5656
12-12-2011, 04:09 PM
i am plannin to trade an old project truck for a 1986 200x. the trike is in good shape, but needs a few things. i was just wantin to know some peoples' opinions on it. from what ive read and heard, its a great bike. so i want to know all that you know, both good and bad. is it good in sand? good on the trails? reliable? thanks

P.S. the rear axle is bent alittle, and the bearings need replaced. do any of the other Honda ATCs have a direct fit axle, the same as the 200x? or do i HAVE to get the same OE axle? thanks again

Swinger
12-12-2011, 04:29 PM
These are great machines in my opinion! My wife just got me one for x-mas this year and have had a few in the past! Ive never had one in the sand but are awesome to rip around the woods on or even just a nice casual putt! Its an 86 so its a better quality build than the first gens too. What kind of truck are you trading and if its just sitting around and getting in the way, Id go for the trade and have something to have some fun with. Got any pics of it??

rodeofan5656
12-12-2011, 04:45 PM
These are great machines in my opinion! My wife just got me one for x-mas this year and have had a few in the past! Ive never had one in the sand but are awesome to rip around the woods on or even just a nice casual putt! Its an 86 so its a better quality build than the first gens too. What kind of truck are you trading and if its just sitting around and getting in the way, Id go for the trade and have something to have some fun with. Got any pics of it??
its a '92 Dodge pickup. i put too much money into it and its still a money pit. it still needs a tranny and timin work. now that i got a truck that actually runs and can get me down the road, this ones just sittin in the back yard, waitin for someone to fix it up

rodeofan5656
12-12-2011, 04:49 PM
it has a kx125 or 250 stock silencer, i think is what the guy said. it sounds good. needs an aircleaner/filter box though. right now its just got the filter stuck on there somehow. theres no rear plastics or headlight. i found a DG full exhaust i can buy for cheap. hes already cleaned the carb for me, its got brand new rear tires but needs a front. also no brakes, but you only need those to stop ;)

Lil Earl
12-12-2011, 05:30 PM
i know you said your dodge is a money pit, but so is the 200 x, rear fenders that are half decent will cost you around $50, the air box will be around $25, the head light will be around $40 some with and some without the bars, tires of course you can price those out on whatever you choose, and the brakes will cost you around $15 if it only needs pads. also think of other stuff it may need once you get into it

Lil Earl
12-12-2011, 06:09 PM
but it still depends on what both look like

rodeofan5656
12-15-2011, 10:03 AM
i know you said your dodge is a money pit, but so is the 200 x, rear fenders that are half decent will cost you around $50, the air box will be around $25, the head light will be around $40 some with and some without the bars, tires of course you can price those out on whatever you choose, and the brakes will cost you around $15 if it only needs pads. also think of other stuff it may need once you get into it
the Dodge needs a tranny- $850 was the cheapest i could get one for it. i have no idea what the timin problem, and it needs tires. not to mention more little things. its in good shape, i just got tired of messin with it. and with the 200x, i didnt plan on puttin rear fenders on it. i personally think it looks better without. the brakes are pretty pricy, and i found an air filter that doesnt use the box. its not that the trike is a better deal, its just that im tired of messin with the truck. its just sat there since summer cause i bought another truck, im ready to get rid of it

murfman
12-15-2011, 05:33 PM
If you are at all mechanically inclined, rebuilding a Torqeflite transmission is pretty simple and rebuild kits including a reman torque converter can be had for ~200-250$ Check with Dacco trans parts, they supply most transmission shops, have quality parts and reasonable prices.

I just don't want you giving up and losing out on the truck. It may be worth your time to get it running and selling for more $ and buying a complete trike.

hondajohn
12-15-2011, 06:23 PM
The 200x is a great starter 3-wheeler. I loved mine. Sold it when I was in high school and now I wish I still had it! It is way ahead of most other ATC200's since it has real suspension, real brakes, and a kick starter... Eventually you might want more power, but a 200x is a great machine.

cparsons
12-15-2011, 07:21 PM
I love my 200x and if i was in your shoes if the 200x is in decent shape and depending on the shape of your truck but chances are around where im from the 92 dodge with whats wrong with it is only worth a couple hundred bucks. sp if its decent i probally would trade. But a truck is a bigger money pit but a wheeler also is just not as big of a money pit. But ya gotta go with what you think is best i cant really say cause i havent seen either one.

James S
12-15-2011, 09:57 PM
The 200x is a great bike, I just finished fixing a 1984 200x for a buddy. The upshot is you are considering this 86' which has the nicer 6speed transmission unlike the older 5 speed. If your not picky about the need for stopping, than the 200x sounds like a great deal. But your right, those brakes are expensive. If you have the existing brakes there and they are just shot you could always consider rebuilding them or trying to free them up with some elbow grease....

rodeofan5656
12-16-2011, 10:54 AM
I love my 200x and if i was in your shoes if the 200x is in decent shape and depending on the shape of your truck but chances are around where im from the 92 dodge with whats wrong with it is only worth a couple hundred bucks. sp if its decent i probally would trade. But a truck is a bigger money pit but a wheeler also is just not as big of a money pit. But ya gotta go with what you think is best i cant really say cause i havent seen either one.
yeah, i tried to sell it on CL for $800 and the highest offer i got was $500. theres not many people here that wanna spend the money to fix a truck when they can just buy a truck that already runs

rodeofan5656
12-16-2011, 10:56 AM
If you are at all mechanically inclined, rebuilding a Torqeflite transmission is pretty simple and rebuild kits including a reman torque converter can be had for ~200-250$ Check with Dacco trans parts, they supply most transmission shops, have quality parts and reasonable prices.

I just don't want you giving up and losing out on the truck. It may be worth your time to get it running and selling for more $ and buying a complete trike.
im pretty good at mechanic work, til it comes to transmissions. this tranny has the push-button overdrive. so they say to take it in somewhere to get it fixed, and $850 was the cheapest i found to get it fixed

rodeofan5656
12-16-2011, 10:58 AM
The 200x is a great bike, I just finished fixing a 1984 200x for a buddy. The upshot is you are considering this 86' which has the nicer 6speed transmission unlike the older 5 speed. If your not picky about the need for stopping, than the 200x sounds like a great deal. But your right, those brakes are expensive. If you have the existing brakes there and they are just shot you could always consider rebuilding them or trying to free them up with some elbow grease....
i think im gonna do the CR80/85 front caliper. cause those things are so cheap compared to the actual 200x brakes. the only part of the brakin system on the trike is the front caliper, with no hydraulic line goin down to it and no brake lever/master cylinder

Honda200x.
12-18-2011, 11:47 AM
What jetting do I have to run on my 85 200x if it has a moose air filter and a full cobra exhaust? Also do you risk overheating with the cobra? And do you loose back pressure with it?

murfman
12-18-2011, 05:59 PM
The push button OD is nothing more than another set of clutch discs pretty similar to an ATC clutch come to think of it. To disassemble the OD you need a press to get the piston off, but chances are all it needs is clutches. I really think the bad rap the Mopar OD transmissions is from greedy transmission shops.

The 200X is a great 3 wheeler, which do you see yourself using more? The truck or the 3 Wheeler? That is the bottom line.

rodeofan5656
12-19-2011, 10:42 AM
went ahead and traded yesterday. rode the thing around for almost 3 hours. the only things it needs right now that i know of is a new rear axle, chain tightened, clutch adjusted, idle adjusted and front tire. it has ALOT more low end torque than i thought a bike this small would!

drivetime
12-19-2011, 09:55 PM
I read through most of the posts. It seems like you made the right choice. Sounds like you got rid of a headache and got something fun to drive.

Post some pics

rodeofan5656
12-20-2011, 09:56 PM

well, here she is. i have a front fender off a 110 that im gonna cut to fit, gotta replace the clutch now, and some other things. already got the chain tightened and the oil changed

LoveMyTrikes
12-20-2011, 10:40 PM
Go for it! Buying a 200x is the most fun toy I have!

stubbie1111
12-20-2011, 10:57 PM
That doesn't look like a 1986....More like a 1984 due to the tank shrouds, forks and boots are black along with the black seat....yep looks like an 84'...should be a 5 spd too not a 6 spd.

JJMF1979
12-20-2011, 11:23 PM
no my 84 is different then that

rodeofan5656
12-21-2011, 01:45 AM
yeah, its an '86. says on the frame, and its a 6spd. i have a habit of countin as i go thru the gears

rodeofan5656
12-21-2011, 01:48 AM
and i actually took a good look at the bars today. its got Renthal bars. the guy threw in a set that are shorter and are made by a local race shop here in this area

stubbie1111
12-21-2011, 01:53 AM
Welp...........I stand corrected!!! Now that I blew the pics up to a bigger size you can see the square tubes to the frame... Def. an 86' Cool!!! You should beable to fix that up Nicely!! Great trade!!

rodeofan5656
12-21-2011, 02:20 AM
Welp...........I stand corrected!!! Now that I blew the pics up to a bigger size you can see the square tubes to the frame... Def. an 86' Cool!!! You should beable to fix that up Nicely!! Great trade!!

thanks! do you have any advice on where to start for a restore? id like to do major stuff first, without payin "out the butt" for it. but since im not too experienced in trikes, im not sure where a good place to start is

jsmay
12-21-2011, 09:33 AM
thats a cool bike! I have an 83' and my buddy has a few 86's.... i wish i had the 86'. They run great! Only draw back I have seen is lack of aftermarket parts, but what do you really need to have fun. You can pipe it, possibly cam it, and get a set of sprockets. Plastic's are out there and maier makes them too.. Get your brakes done, then plastics... and have fun!

Husky250
12-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Interesting pipe set up you got there! Good luck with the axle. Had to replace mine. Cheapest I could locate for this generation was $500+. I ended up cut/chop/weld and replace with a 300ex from the swingarm pivot back. Was a bit of a pain but worked nicely.

rodeofan5656
12-21-2011, 03:41 PM
Interesting pipe set up you got there! Good luck with the axle. Had to replace mine. Cheapest I could locate for this generation was $500+. I ended up cut/chop/weld and replace with a 300ex from the swingarm pivot back. Was a bit of a pain but worked nicely.

do you know if theres any way to just straight the axle out? could a machine shop straighten it out or somethin?

drivetime
12-21-2011, 05:12 PM
Did you have a close up pics of where its bent exactly?

I actually might be getting an extra 200s parts trike. Im not sure what condition its in or if it ill work but if does I can most likely get it to you.

Did you get any rear plastics with the trike?

As far as starting to restore it. No matter what Im redoing I like to go through the whole thing and make a list of what needs to be done as far as making everything function properly again. Then make a list what you want to do repainting, refinishing, aftermarket etc... Maybe put prices next to things as well.

rodeofan5656
12-21-2011, 10:32 PM
Did you have a close up pics of where its bent exactly?

I actually might be getting an extra 200s parts trike. Im not sure what condition its in or if it ill work but if does I can most likely get it to you.

Did you get any rear plastics with the trike?

As far as starting to restore it. No matter what Im redoing I like to go through the whole thing and make a list of what needs to be done as far as making everything function properly again. Then make a list what you want to do repainting, refinishing, aftermarket etc... Maybe put prices next to things as well.

i dont know where its bent, but i do know its on the left side, somewhere between the swingarm and rim. the axle bein bent has also torn the heck outta the bearings and those will need changed along with whatever is done to the axle

rodeofan5656
12-21-2011, 10:49 PM
i didnt get the rear plastics, but he did throw in a front fender from a 110 that im choppin to make it fit. yes, i know i coulda made at least $30 bucks off it. but this is cheaper than buyin an actual 200x fender. this is how far i am so far---

i just need to drill holes and find bolts that will fit to hold it to the 3trees. i think its gonna look pretty sweet, different from the stock fender

BigRed_Ryno
12-22-2011, 05:02 PM
i dont know where its bent, but i do know its on the left side, somewhere between the swingarm and rim. the axle bein bent has also torn the heck outta the bearings and those will need changed along with whatever is done to the axle

Take the axle out, take everything off it, and roll it over a decent flat surface, (it'll soon become aparent where its bent) and mark it with a marker. there's various ways to actually straighten them, ive done it in a vice before (take care of the threads) I used a tape measure (mm) to measure the bend, tweak it, then roll it on the flat surface, you'll soon see when its pretty good. thats how ive always done them, and they work just fine :D

rodeofan5656
12-22-2011, 05:13 PM
Take the axle out, take everything off it, and roll it over a decent flat surface, (it'll soon become aparent where its bent) and mark it with a marker. there's various ways to actually straighten them, ive done it in a vice before (take care of the threads) I used a tape measure (mm) to measure the bend, tweak it, then roll it on the flat surface, you'll soon see when its pretty good. thats how ive always done them, and they work just fine :D

this is gonna help ALOT. ill definately try this when i have the time. its gonna save me alotta money too. i need to get a manual first though. im mechanically inclined, but i dont trust myself workin on new stuff without a manual

rodeofan5656
12-22-2011, 05:16 PM
also, how do you measure out the bend? im not good with measurements like that.

200x350xtriz250
12-23-2011, 04:29 PM
Nice start to a good bike for sure. Best bet with the axle is to take it to a machine shop or send it to a member here that has experience with staightening axles. It is best to use a press and an indicator to get it right. There are other axles that fit (2nd gen 250r I believe) but most if not all need some modifing to work. Also, fyi your shrouds are on the wrong side of the tank and upside down - easiest fix around.

rodeofan5656
12-24-2011, 08:13 PM
Nice start to a good bike for sure. Best bet with the axle is to take it to a machine shop or send it to a member here that has experience with staightening axles. It is best to use a press and an indicator to get it right. There are other axles that fit (2nd gen 250r I believe) but most if not all need some modifing to work. Also, fyi your shrouds are on the wrong side of the tank and upside down - easiest fix around.

thanks for the shroud info, i had no idea they were on wrong. i did wonder why they rubbed on the forks when i turned though! haha they were like that when i got it, so i thought they were right

oeduardo67
01-30-2013, 01:54 AM
I have owned 2 1986 honda atc 200x and they are were both excellent trikes. Starting was a breeze, i could literally start it with my hand. Motor pulled strong and the 6 gears really help. The thing that recieved the most change was the design with an all white look and sporty new headlight many people were attracted to the design instantly.