PDA

View Full Version : Recoil starter?

bessybait
12-12-2011, 04:46 PM
The recoil cord on my 200s isnt retracting all the way. If I take it apart is the spring going fly out? Or should I just shorten the cord?

tri again
12-12-2011, 05:33 PM
The recoil cord on my 200s isnt retracting all the way. If I take it apart is the spring going fly out? Or should I just shorten the cord?

Hi

It would be great if your search key worked.
There are tons of pages of advice.
I'm on a supershort firewood break but it would be good if you could simply
rotate the inner pulley one or 2 more times. so it retracts more.
A shorter rope usually gets pulled to the end and breaks.
These things usually start with 1/2 pull but most people don't understand that
especially friends who want to ride.
If you're careful, the big coil spring shouldn't come out but you should not even have to fool with that
As I recall, the hook on the big spring will rotate and reset to the next rotation, if that makes sense.
With a full overhaul and disassembly, the first time can take an hour
and some people on here can do a full dis / reassembly in a few minutes.

It would be great if you can get the search key to work.

Howdy
12-12-2011, 06:16 PM
Some times the reason the rope won't retract all the way is the big spring inside might have broke and or slipped. They can be a royal pain to fix and or install if you never done one before. But don't let me worry you too much. I would start by pulling the pull starter off. Without taking the starter itself apart, get a hold of the rope on the inside ( you should see about 1-2 inches of rope ), and wrap the rope another 1-2 rounds. There is a notch in the pulley to do this. If the rope still sticks out to much add another round. If you keep adding rounds but the rope don't retract then you need to do a search on the forums here on pull starters and read up on how to fix it.
Howdy