PDA

View Full Version : tank rust

DryCreekBoy
12-12-2011, 09:06 PM
jus got done paintin my tank and relized there i more rust in the bottom than what i thought is there sum kinda sealant or sumthin to put in the tank to "cover" the rust and keep the gas from gettin in it

Crazy McGee
12-12-2011, 09:37 PM
yes, although i forgot what its called, i'll try to find out what its called and how much it costs.

3wheely
12-12-2011, 09:40 PM
I just bought the por-15 kit for mine. Haven't done it yet but I hear it's pretty good. The kit was like $45.

Jon Boy
12-12-2011, 09:50 PM
there's quite a few products to choose from for sealing a tank. only heard good stuff about the por-15, but have not used it yet.

hoosierlogger
12-12-2011, 09:58 PM
Kreem SUCKS! dont waste your money.

tri again
12-12-2011, 10:05 PM
If you can get the search key to work, you will see more info than you'd ever want.
Some are 'coatings' which mean they can peel off.
por 15 reacts With the rust and is the phosphoric acid 'basis' of naval jelly.
Complex chemistry but essentially bonds with and transforms the iron oxide to something inert.

Then again, marketing is all so convincing.

I looked into marine rust issues and phosphoric acid makes the most sense to me.
I poured some on a rusty woodstove outside and it turned the rust black, like glass.
and it's still there. I whacked it with a hammer and fresh shiny steel was 'under' it.

Radiator shops may do it right because they have to guarantee their work.

I clean mine with a pressure washer, drydrydry completely, maybe rinse with 'heet',
and then just keep them full.
No oxygen, no rust.
Or dead empty and hanging in a warm living room all winter.

worst is 1/2 full or empty with the cap on and many temperature fluctuations.. = condensation.

A million opinions for sure with no perfect answer but my next one is going to a radiator shop to be cleaned and sealed.
...I think.
or not.

DryCreekBoy
12-12-2011, 10:33 PM
thanks fellas for all the input

Jon Boy
12-12-2011, 11:52 PM
...maybe rinse with 'heet'...

don't waste your money, just use rubbing alcohol. what do you think the main ingrediant in heet is. :beer

JJMF1979
12-17-2011, 09:44 PM
Ya just clean the rust off instead of covering it use vinigar and salt and let it soak for a few days it will work wonders and cheap too

tri again
12-17-2011, 11:28 PM
don't waste your money, just use rubbing alcohol. what do you think the main ingrediant in heet is. :beer

151 Rum?
White lightnin'?
moonshibe?

Rub Alcohol kinda takes a while to dry but heet disappears almost instantly, taking the water with it.

Still not sure what it actually does to a few drops of water in a tank tho.
I'll have to experiment with some gas in a glass jar with a little water .
I DO know that water will sit in the bottom of a tank and rot a hole right where it sits for sure.

Heck, I've even set mine on a bbq to dry them.

Cheaper is best .

I just like what my uncle said about car 'cocktails' and additives.

You can open the hood and pour them directly on the ground and they usually have the same effect.

It makes the driver 'feel' better, is all.

jeswinehart
12-17-2011, 11:56 PM

I think the main ingredient to methanol is,,, ready for this,,, methanol.
I buy about 12, 55 gallon drums of it a year at work.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol
it works a heck of a lot better for a moisture curing agent then rubbing alcohol could ever dream of doing (and I use it exclusively in cleaning out nasty trike tanks too)
http://www.frangergas.com/jones/index.html

Jon Boy
12-18-2011, 02:17 PM
ok ya got me there it seems. i'm just going by the fact almost everyone around this area uses rubbing alcohol when they get water in their tanks and during the winter months when needed. i know getting and using methanol might not cross some peoples minds but anyone can go to the store and pick up a bottle of rubbing alcohol easily. also, i've never had to personally clean out a tank yet thankfully. helped plenty of friends with their tanks and never had any problems yet.

my mistake, sorry if i have given bad info. :rolleyes:

DryCreekBoy
12-18-2011, 04:55 PM
Ya just clean the rust off instead of covering it use vinigar and salt and let it soak for a few days it will work wonders and cheap too
so i could use this method instead of buying the por-15 or are u sayin do this before i use the por-15

Chazz of Blades
12-18-2011, 05:05 PM
Build a simple electrolysis tank, hook it up, soak for a few days, rinse, dry with a blowdryer, and either then use POR-15 to coat it, or spray the hell out of it with WD-40.

ChevyAndVW
12-20-2011, 03:43 AM
$23 can of por-15 coat the inside and outside... worked perfect with mine and it was easy and cheap. it had huge holes and now they r gone. i por-15 everything =)

JJMF1979
12-20-2011, 11:14 AM
All i am saying is that it works!!! it takes like 5 days though, i am doing it on some parts right now and after a day there is a noticable difference. on a tank empty it everyday if it is really rusty to get the debri out then put the same vinigar and salt back in and maybe on day 3 put new salt and vinigar back in and give it a cpl more days i have never done it on a tank myself but there is a thread or reply somewhere where they did and it worked good they have day 1-5 pics too but they used something to clean the vinigaar and salt resisdue out after and i cant remember what it was