PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 200 worth it?

78z2+2
12-12-2011, 11:21 PM
Hi,
I am new to this forum, and am in the process of finding a cheap three wheeler to work on for fun. I found an old Yamaha 200cc on craigslist for $100. According to the owner, it ran two weeks ago, but then just stopped. When trying to restart it by push starting it, it just locks up the rear wheels. There is no pull start on the trike. My question is, what could be the problem with the motor? Obvious answer would be it's locked up, but i'm wondering if it could be something simple and easy to fix? Also is it worth 100 bucks to find out? Thanks in advance for any replys.

Swinger
12-12-2011, 11:24 PM
For $100, if the plastics are ok and everthing seems ok, you could part it out and get your money and then some back if you dont want to fix it.

78z2+2
12-13-2011, 12:46 AM
Alright, I will keep that in mind when going to look at it. Anyone on the engine problem?

muthey
12-13-2011, 02:18 AM
depends if they are trying to push start it in 1st or not these yammi's have a decent amount of torque, motor is hard to say until you have it and open it up, but in my opinion yammi's are easier to work on than honda's. Much more simpler timing to do on them. I have a decent amount of parts as well, but they are gradually dwindling lol if you do get it you won't be sorry when you have it running. first gear is wheelie mania.

fabiodriven
12-13-2011, 09:24 AM
depends if they are trying to push start it in 1st or not

x2 on that one. I can't even count how many times I see these bozos trying to pop start something in first gear. In first gear you will not have the mechanical advantage and therefore the motor will not turn over. You have to use second or third gear when pop starting. My bet is they're just trying to pop it in first.

Dustin96
12-13-2011, 09:51 AM
sorry im posting a qestion on this post dont know how to start a post but i have a 1986 yamaha tri moto 225drs and it wont start by pull starting it it was starting by pop starting it now nothing

78z2+2
12-13-2011, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I will probably go look at it tomorrow. Any suggestions on what to look for motor wise to make sure its not locked up?

fabiodriven
12-13-2011, 10:29 AM
See if it'll turn over! :lol:

muthey
12-13-2011, 10:43 AM
it shifts by going up rock it while you try and shift it go all the way up to fifth and see if you can feel the motor give a little while rocking it. If there is no give or it wont shift, possible lock up or tranny problems from pop starting it. tranny problems I have a complete tranny minus the shifting rod , and motor minus the piston up. But I have a feeling they were not doing it very smartly and it's not locked up. check the oil, look for oil leaks around the the motor and the rear end if it is shaft drive. look for cracks in the plastics and whether the forks compress. check the wiring you can see , if it's all chopped up or not. You might even take a 18mm deep socket and a ratchet or a 5/8 for"champion plugs" to see if the spark plug is sooty and black or the light brown it's supposed to be. Just because it's black doesn't mean that the motors bad, but it does indicate a fuel rich setting or if it is black with a light wetness there is a chance it is burning oil. Oh and one last thing if you are still not sure take lots of pics and let us help you. Either way if you think about it 200$ plus maybe $400 in repairs, is still cheap than 5000$ plus for a new four wheeler. And didn't you say you were wanting to work on it as well.

HuffieVA
12-13-2011, 10:47 AM
See if it'll turn over! :lol:

Absolutely, if you can get it to turn over, you can be 100% sure you can get it to turn over...

muthey
12-13-2011, 10:49 AM
@ dustin get a pull starter man cause it is reall hard to check for spark by pop starting or put a battery in it to use the electric start, and for gods sake do not use a car battery instead, not unless you feel like taking a chance on having to replace all the electronics.

Dustin96
12-13-2011, 04:34 PM
has one has spark to

78z2+2
12-13-2011, 05:13 PM
I am going to look at it tomorrow. I will keep all these things in mind, and try to get some pictures for you guys. Thanks for all the help!

fabiodriven
12-13-2011, 05:29 PM
has one has spark to

Make sure you keep this in mind for sure. Very helpful advise indeed.

78z2+2
12-14-2011, 03:08 PM
Well went and looked at the three wheeler. It was bad, the motor was clearly locked up. Pretty sure it was due to the owner driving it without an exhaust. It was also missing the clutch lever. Seemed like a bit too much work for me. The hunt continues for a decent three wheeler for under 200. Thanks for all the help guys.

fabiodriven
12-14-2011, 03:21 PM
Good man. Don't settle for garbage.

muthey
12-14-2011, 03:31 PM
for future reference yamaha 200 and 225 don't have a clutch lever, they are automatic.

78z2+2
12-14-2011, 03:57 PM
Yeah, i could tell it was abused and was far from running. @muthey thanks for the fact, im new to three wheelers and its nice to know this about the yamahas now. That was probably the least of my worries with that bike though. It was bad.

STiForester
12-14-2011, 04:04 PM
Should have parted the internals ad rest of it. Woul have got your money back plus more

muthey
12-14-2011, 05:00 PM
possibly got his money back or ended up with a huge mess of rusted bolts and broken parts, plus have you seen mine a powdidy's ytm part outs they don't sell all that fast

78z2+2
12-14-2011, 08:36 PM
Yeah, i didnt want to mess with parting it out. I parted out two datsun 280z's over the summer and still have a bunch of parts just taking up room in the barn. If i can stay away from parting stuff out for a while id be happy.

STiForester
12-15-2011, 12:31 AM
thats true im thinking its an R or a Tecate

78z2+2
12-20-2011, 07:21 PM
So now i might be going to look at a yamaha 225. It doesn't run but tries to according to the owner. It doesn't have a gear shifter lever, so he believes its in gear and thats why it wont start. Hes asking 200 firm. Would this one be a good buy? He said it has newer tires and brakes on it. And the pictures he sent me it looks pretty good. Just wondering what this thing would be worth fixed up if I decide I only want to keep it for a short period of time. Thanks again to any input.

ytm200steve
12-20-2011, 07:30 PM
in good running conditon with new tires and brakes and everything in decent shape
you could get 600-800$

78z2+2
12-21-2011, 03:41 AM
Doesn't sound bad. I might go look at it and see how everything else looks on it. Any other opinions of if i should take the risk on this atc?

another owner
12-21-2011, 04:15 AM
Nice pass on the first option in your thread. For the second option, Refering to what you wanted which was a 'project' you can spend couple X amounts of money on a project and at the end of the day only make up for half the X's you spent on it. The thing i have noticed with projects it the amount of time you put into a project rather the the cost in money to make it suitable for yourself.

Just remember the longer you work on a project and the amount of money it costs you to get it to what 'you' want will only be stored in a little special place in your head that will want you to not get rid of, And expecting the next person to own that trike and look after it only to find out it's ruined will annoy you. This is only a response to your "Just wondering what this thing would be worth fixed up if I decide I only want to keep it for a short period of time" question.

Sorry if I sound like a complete muppet.

fabiodriven
12-21-2011, 09:36 AM
Doesn't sound bad. I might go look at it and see how everything else looks on it. Any other opinions of if i should take the risk on this atc?

No big deal but for future reference, the term "ATC" was trademarked by Honda. It means "All Terrain Cycle". All Honda trikes are ATC's, but no other brand is an ATC. Don't mean to nit-pick, just trying to guide ya buddy. :D

It's really hard for us to determine a value without pictures. Also, where the shifter isn't there you really don't know if the tranny is any good. That would have a huge impact on price.

78z2+2
12-21-2011, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Im learning so much from this website. Here are the pictures the owner sent me of the yamaha. Also may go look at another one. Its a honda 200s. It runs, but smokes really bad. Probably needs rings, guy said past owner ran it without an air cleaner. Hes asking 175 for it, comes with a complete extra 185 motor. He also said there are some cracks in the plastics and that its been rode hard and put away wet. I included pictures of it as well. Which one would you guys pick up? Both are within my price range, and both need a little work. How hard is it to change rings on a honda? Thanks in advance

muthey
12-21-2011, 01:36 PM
honestly I would go for the 225, if you were going to keep it, has better looking plastics, and tranny problems are not all that hard to fix, does require the motor to be pulled but between myself and some others on here we have the parts you will need to fix it if that is a problem. I also know from experience that the yamaha shift levers break really easy so that might be the only problem, I have replace both of mine with honda levers as they are stouter. With a motor that smokes you may end up spending 2-300$ to fix it, plus a couple months down time while waiting for the cylinder to be bore and come back to you, so if the yami doesn't smoke that's one les headache. I my self with a new gasket set could change out a yami tranny in about 4-6 hours if I already had all the parts I needed which I do. The plastics alone on that 225 sold on ebay could net you 2-400$. But like I said I would buy the yamaha if you were going to keep it, and the Honda you might be able to fix it up but I doubt you'll ever see a return profit from it other than riding it.

ytm200steve
12-21-2011, 01:47 PM
get them both the honda will run for ever even if it dose smoke ive had pepole tell me it smokes realy bad and it didnt smoke bad changed the oil it went away after the first week of daily ridding if you only want to get one id go with the 225 it has suspension in the rear but may have problems other then the shifter id go to a local shop and buy a shifter for 10$ and take it with me to see if its all it needs and if it needs more and you dont want it take the shifter back and tell them you didnt actualy need it:TrikesOwn

ytm200steve
12-21-2011, 01:50 PM
o and rings are easy on a hond i could do it and have the motor back in and runing in half an hr but its prob valve seals not rings

78z2+2
12-21-2011, 02:31 PM
I agree, i think the yamaha looks like a better buy. I was planning on taking a gear shifter from an extra dirtbike engine i got, as well as one from our suzuki 4 wheeler. Hopefully one will work to where I can pop it into neutral and see if it will run. What else should i look for on the yamaha if I go look at it? Thanks for all the help guys

78z2+2
12-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Well the search continues. Was getting ready to leave to go see the yamaha and the guy called me and said someone was there buying it.. A little too late. Maybe i can find something else or talk down the price on the honda.

muthey
12-21-2011, 09:51 PM
if you really want the honda I would try and talk him down to 100$ as you don't know what kid of issues you'll find till you open it up. Could just need rings and gaskets, or it could need alot more including a new head, or valves. Plus the plastics are kinda busted up so your looking at 250$+ to replace them right there. Also not to cause a huge argument but rebuilding a motor and having it back in and running in about a half hour not possible it takes about a half hour just to pull it out. honda isn't hard but is easy to have the timing 180* off with the timing, where yamaha is easier to time. have done both. I look at it like this people always say you can beat the crap out of a honda and it will run forever, which simply isn't true. Beat anything and it will eventually die, so there are alot of honda's out there that are piles of poof because of that mind thought. It might be best to just hold out until a better trike comes along. I know there is a guy on here that is selling a really nice 225dx with great plastics his name is vartz04 and he lives in Illinois, if you can contact him if he still has ithttp://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=134494&d=1317079384&thumb=1 he wanted 600$ for it. Good luck and happy hunting

ytm200steve
12-22-2011, 12:40 AM
with the motor already off i can do the top end in around half hr usualy whn i rebuild something motor is already out and apart while im waiting for the parts i would pay 100-150 for that Honda iv had worse if i were you just buy the honda to see if you even like 3 wheelers if its gunna be your first get something that if you f trailpro ck it up you didnt just spend a ton of money on it looks like a decent beater for me def try to talk him down to 100 though if not i would pay 150$ for it its not in that bad of shape and ive seen them recoils go on ebay for 100$ i would never pay that much tho ill wrap a rope around it before i pay 100$ for a recoil

if you really want the honda I would try and talk him down to 100$ as you don't know what kid of issues you'll find till you open it up. Could just need rings and gaskets, or it could need alot more including a new head, or valves. Plus the plastics are kinda busted up so your looking at 250$+ to replace them right there. Also not to cause a huge argument but rebuilding a motor and having it back in and running in about a half hour not possible it takes about a half hour just to pull it out. honda isn't hard but is easy to have the timing 180* off with the timing, where yamaha is easier to time. have done both. I look at it like this people always say you can beat the crap out of a honda and it will run forever, which simply isn't true. Beat anything and it will eventually die, so there are alot of honda's out there that are piles of poof because of that mind thought. It might be best to just hold out until a better trike comes along. I know there is a guy on here that is selling a really nice 225dx with great plastics his name is vartz04 and he lives in Illinois, if you can contact him if he still has ithttp://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=134494&d=1317079384&thumb=1 he wanted 600$ for it. Good luck and happy hunting

fabiodriven
12-22-2011, 10:23 AM
I've been biting my lip, but I am no longer.

To be honest Steve, you're coming off as kind of a hack. The guy needs good advise and that's what we try to provide on this forum. To just tell him "Oh it's valve seals" and "I can do a top end in a half hour" is not what this guy needs to hear. Truth is, you have no way of telling if it's just valve seals or not. Personally I doubt it's just valve seals. He clearly stated that the engine was run without an air filter for quite some time and that it was ridden hard and put away wet. I'm willing to bet it needs more than just valve seals.

It starts out with rings when you rip it open. Soon you find it needs a bore and a valve job. Then you figure out it needs a timing chain. This is sometimes how it goes and he needs to expect that and be prepared.

These machines are antiques. Unless the machine is something you've owned for a long time and looked after or you bought it in really good condition, you can rule out "just doing the top end in a half hour". More often then not there is a lot to do to these machines to bring them back to their original glory after they've been abused for 25 or 30 years. The OP sounds like he wants something to be proud of, not something to throw together.

To keep these machines nice it takes a lot of time and money. The fact that you want him to squabble with the guy over 25 or 50 bucks is silly. That machine looks worth 175 all day, especially with a spare motor.

Personally I would take the Yami. I just like those better. Full suspension, shaft drive, ya buddy!

muthey
12-22-2011, 11:53 AM
I am agreeing with Fabio wholeheartedly on this I had forgot all about the spare motor, so 150$ it's worth it. I have to get, that I traded a 2003 dell desktop that I got for free from my work for my wife's 81 200 basket case trike, which I just finished doing the top end on. I was not happy with what I saw when I got into it, but fortunately there was plenty of meat to work with as it was all original still. So if you are anxious to get a trike asap go with the 200s, but expect the worst and be glad when you see that it isn't as bad as you thought. Or if you're not in a major rush wait a bit and keep your feelers out for something better

ytm200steve
12-22-2011, 12:31 PM
but if he hasn't had a 3 wheeler before its not a bad deal for 150 i wouldnt want something mint as my first toy and its hard to find something mint for around 200$ i want something to play around with even see if i like it and a 200s is a great starter trikes iv owned about 6 200s's and that wheeler is complete with that extra motor and the top ends are interchangeable so there are plenty of parts with it its definitly worth taking a look at the other motor might even run

ytm200steve
12-22-2011, 12:32 PM
and fabio he said before the guy sold the yami

78z2+2
12-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Thanks for all the great advice guys. I think I am going to wait a bit. The guy doesn't really seem like he wants to go down to 150, and im thinking I can score a better deal on something else if I just wait. This website has gave me great information, and I appreciate all the input. I will keep you guys updated if I find something else. Thanks again

ytm200steve
12-22-2011, 12:36 PM
okay i wish i was closer i would buy that honda no one sells em cheap around here rarely lol

fabiodriven
12-22-2011, 12:37 PM
and fabio he said before the guy sold the yami

I must have missed that.

78z2+2
12-22-2011, 03:01 PM
yeah, i might still go look at it. It seems pretty hard to find some around here too for cheap. Im hoping the guy is willing to negotiate and i can work out a deal. Worse case if i get it is it blows up and I just part it out to get my money back.

78z2+2
12-22-2011, 03:10 PM
Just talked to the guy, and hes firm on 175. I might still go look at it. I forgot to mention its got newer tires on it as well.

fabiodriven
12-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Be patient grasshopper. There are deals to be had. Plenty of guys on this forum are from the O-ho-ho area.

78z2+2
12-22-2011, 04:41 PM
Yeah, im trying to be patient, but really want to just go get one so my hunt can be over. Got a question, if I got the honda I was planning on putting some stop smoke stuff in it first to see if it would fix the problem. What are the chances ofhis working, or is that just a bad idea? Also how long would it last not touching it and just driving it smoking. This probably won't be the case for me, just wondering.

fabiodriven
12-22-2011, 06:14 PM
It might prolong the limping, but it isn't going to fix anything. There is no replacement for required maintenance.

muthey
12-22-2011, 06:42 PM
without truly repairing it even with stop smoke I wouldn't give it very long to live you would run the chance of washing out the cylinder and piston. Then if it locks up you could be looking at needing almost a whole new motor. I guess I should go back and reread post sometimes lol I had it stuck in my head that he wanted 150$ for it even 175 is not bad with an extra motor. If you do go get it I would order two complete gasket kits on ebay, one for each motor. The only true way to know if the 185 motor is any good, without wasting time pulling the old and installing the new is to take it open. In the end the choice is yours I am just glad that you are listening to the advice we are giving you and actually thinking, alot of new members let it go in one ear and out the other

78z2+2
12-22-2011, 07:21 PM
Yeah, i really appreciate all of the input i have been receiving on this thread. This forum is top notch compared to some others I have been apart of. The good thing about the extra motor is that it is already tore apart. That makes it easy to replace all the gaskets on it if need be. Its a tough choice, and im still holding off for a little bit to see if anything else pops up. The owner doesn't seem to be in any rush, so it always could be a backup option if something else were to pop up. I will continue to keep you guys updated. Thanks again.

fabiodriven
12-22-2011, 08:11 PM
I swear I'm not doing this to rub it in your face. I want to show you what patience can sometimes get you. Now this was a once in a lifetime opportunity, but it happens. The only reason I knew the seller had trikes is because he either saw one of my bikes or a Trikefest shirt or something. He's in his 70's and trikes would be the last thing I would have thought of talking with him about had he not brought it up.

I got the SX and the S both for $500 and I hooked a guy up with the Big Red as well. He didn't pay much, but I don't know if he wants me to disclose the price. I didn't take any money in the deal, I just ended up with a killer deal on the SX and I helped out two other trikers.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/134476-Two-trikes-stolen-in-Mass!

78z2+2
12-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Wow yeah you scored on those two for sure! I actually missed out on a great deal on a 250sx a week ago. If I would of knew what it really was I would of went and snagged it. I have decided to not go get the honda. It just needed too much work. Ive decided to wait a bit and save up a little more money. Why pay around 200 for one that needs work when I can find a good running one for around 500? Thought it through more and am just going to keep looking daily and wait for that one killer deal.

nd1979
12-22-2011, 09:34 PM
I just wanted to add that I found an 84 200e in decent shape for $500 a couple of weeks ago. I know it wasn' the deal of the decade but pretty fair deal. I don't have a lot of time to wrench so I paid for one that only needed the normal maint. stuff.

78z2+2
12-23-2011, 08:21 PM
Found a suzuki 185 three wheeler for sale thats very close to where I live. Guy is asking 300, but sounds like hes willing to take less. Runs good, plastics are good, just needs a sprocket. How are the suzuki trikes? Worth going to take a look at, or hold out for a honda or yami?

muthey
12-23-2011, 10:55 PM
the truth is they are very uncommon, and really hard to get parts for, but at that price or even less it is a steal

fabiodriven
12-23-2011, 11:00 PM
The Zuki is fairly rare. I personally am a Suzuki hater, but the ALT 125/185 I am a big fan of. They seem to run good and are just generally fun.

78z2+2
12-24-2011, 10:23 AM
I might go take a look at it today. Talked him down to 275. I probably won't buy it today, but will update you guys on its condition if I go look at it.

78z2+2
12-24-2011, 11:52 AM
Here are some pictures of the suzuki that the owner sent me. What do you guys think? Worth going to look at, or a pass? It looks "okay" to me, just not sure if its worth the $275 the owner is asking. Then again, you guys know more about this stuff than I do, so your opinion is greatly appreciated.

fabiodriven
12-24-2011, 12:03 PM
Hmmm, she's a little rough. $200-$250 might not be too bad of a deal. You have to take into consideration that the Zuki's are fairly rare. Those faded plastics may or may not clear up from a nice wet-sanding. (Look it up)

78z2+2
12-24-2011, 12:46 PM
I offered him 200 cash and he said he couldn't go any lower than 275. I decided to pass. I think a better one will come along sooner or later. Until then, I got my 73 kawasaki enduro to finish up. I'll get checking local ads daily and let you know if anything else comes up locally. Thanks for the help!

78z2+2
12-26-2011, 09:23 AM
So found a kawasaki three wheeler now. Owner wants 200, but said hes not firm on the price. To me, it looks really clean. BTW the wheels in the picture arent the ones on it, it has stock rims and tires. The owner said it was a joke. It runs good, no smoke, both headlight and tailight work. Plastics are good with no cracks, someone just painted the right rear fender green, which isnt a big deal to me. It needs a front fender. The owner is unsure of the size, as am I. Anyone have any idea how big this trike is? Also owner said he just changed the oil in it. Said he just needs room in the garage, so willing to let it go cheap. Meanwhile, the owner of the suzuki got in contact with me last night and said $250 and its mine. I was planning on going to get the kawasaki today, but want to make sure you guys think it looks like a good buy. Or, should I go for the suzuki? Thanks again for all the help.

muthey
12-27-2011, 02:39 AM
If you have the money I would buy both of them, they both can be hard to get parts for so choice is yours, the klt is more common than the suzuki alt but honda and yamaha were the two mass producers of four strokes.

Grindin' Gearz
12-27-2011, 03:35 AM
Id go for the KLT, sounds like a better deal. As long as it doesn't have those rear rims/tires like you said, it looks 100x better than the Zuki, and probably more reliable, but I am a bit biased, I have 2 ugly but damn reliable Yamahas and am currently putting a 110KLT together and I absolutely despise the Suzukis, but that's my opinion. Go with what makes you happy, pure and simple. And as far as size, id say its probably a 110 or the 160, but its tough to tell from that pic. If you get the VIN there are links to decoders here on the site, they are very helpful!!

fabiodriven
12-27-2011, 10:18 AM
Looks like a KLT 160 to me. They are fairly rare as well. Parts can be a bit tough to find from time to time, but that one looks like a very good deal for the condition. It's tough to find them in that kind of shape for that cheap.

78z2+2
12-27-2011, 03:46 PM
Yeah, i agree i thought the kaw looked pretty dang good from the pictures. Im actually leaving to go check it out now. I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks

swampthang
12-27-2011, 04:02 PM
Good luck! Def looks like a good deal if it runs decent.

78z2+2
12-27-2011, 09:07 PM
well, ended up not going to see the kaw because a snow storm was on the way here in ohio. Going tomorrow morning around 11. Anything else you guys can think of for me to look for when looking at the kawasaki? What should be the major points to look for?

fabiodriven
12-28-2011, 09:34 AM
Plastics are really tough to come by for those, especially in that shape. I noticed the front fender is biffed. I'm not sure how hard that is to get. Other than that nothing comes to mind.

swampthang
12-28-2011, 09:42 AM
IDK if theres any certain areas on that bike that are weak links to check, but here is a few things I like to check on all trikes before I buy them. Rusty gas tank,look down in the tank with a flashlight see how bad it looks, Cracked engine case from chain flying off, just notice if theres oil all over that area or if its leaking, Bent forks, this is a tuff one to diagnose because I have bought some trikes with "bent" forks before only to be able to losen some bolts and readjust them and there fine. See if the engine smokes. See if the clutch is slipping, put in in about 3rd or 4th and hammer the gass if it boggs down but keeps pulling its fine if it revs up but dosent move the clutch is worn. Worn bearing,shake the bike and look for play. Im sure theres some things i've missed but maybe some of the other guys will chime in to give ya some help.

78z2+2
12-28-2011, 03:16 PM
Ended up getting the kaw! So excited. The owner couldnt get it to start but still decided to take the risk. Got it home and messed with it for five minutes and got it running decently good. Rode it around the yard a few times. This thing moves for being as small as it is. I believe it is a klt160, but dont know how to check? Also the rear plastics are in great shape with no cracks at all, Just need some fresh paint which I plan to do this coming summer. Also going to paint the rear wheels either red or silver, not sure yet. Only problem with it is there is a leak in the intake between the head and the carb. Its letting air in, and causing it to die at random times. Going to replace that and think it will be a very nice trike. If you guys want I can get some more pictures on here to let you see the condition. I think i made a good buy. Ended up paying 225 because i got an extra set of back wheels with it. Just very excited I got a pretty nice three wheeler for a great price. I will keep you guys updated with stuff I change on it, and if i need any help with anything else. Thanks for all the help!

78z2+2
12-28-2011, 03:32 PM
after looking over it, its a klt110a, at least thats what the fork says. I cant believe that it is that small. It moves for being that small of a motor. All in all, still happy.

coolpool
12-28-2011, 04:25 PM
Your patience has paid off; good for you, and nice looking rig. Definitely post some more pics when you get a chance. Sounds like some easy fixes.

Grindin' Gearz
12-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Good to hear, I'm sure with taking your time, that machine will provide you with plenty of fun in the woods. Have fun and try to keep at least one wheel on the ground! Lol

78z2+2
12-28-2011, 06:53 PM
Thanks guys. It is actually a pretty good runner. I let it sit outside in the cold today for about six hours went out to start it to take it back to the barn and it started the first pull. I'll get a couple more pictures on here tomorrow. Had a quick question about the intake boot. Will a boot off of a klt160 fit on it? I can find a bunch of klt160 carb boots on ebay, but cant seem to find one for the klt110. Also will a front fender off of any klt fit the klt110?

muthey
12-28-2011, 10:54 PM
Before you paint the rear fenders I highly recommend searching up on how to wet sand them and bring back the original shine, as you will soon find that even with plastic paint it will crack and flake off. Leaving you with a bigger mess than you started with. There is a rubber bonding compound that some one used on here to repair their intake boot can't remember the post it was in, but it seemed to work great for him. You might want to give that a try. If you are looking for interchangable parts the best guy to ask would be ZAGAMES as he has a bunch of klt's

MonroeMike
12-29-2011, 02:51 AM
...but cant seem to find one for the klt110.

Does this have the part you need?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-1985-KLT-110-Intake-Manifold-E-727-/170755080685?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item27c1cbc1ed

...There is a rubber bonding compound that some one used on here to repair their intake boot can't remember the post it was in...
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/136919-F-F-F-Foolin-!?p=1068802#post1068802

78z2+2
12-29-2011, 04:18 AM
I will look in to wet sanding before I paint them, thanks for that info. I was actually going to try to make another gasket to fit inbetween the rubber and the head, and also add some silicon gasket maker to see if that would fix the problem. Cheap, and worth the try. @ MonroeMike yeah that little rubber part under the metal intake is the part I need. I already emailed the seller to see if he would just sell me that part, but have yet to hear from him. Again, thanks for all the help guys. This website is top notch

fabiodriven
12-29-2011, 09:47 AM
Nice job man! Put some pics up so we can guide you better on what to do. As stated, painting plastics is not a very good idea.

78z2+2
12-29-2011, 12:40 PM
I'll be sure to do the wet sanding before I paint them over the summer. I trust your guy's word. I also had a plastic fender on my old dirtbike that I repainted a couple years back and the paint held up really well. It was a special paint made for plastics, so i'll probably use the same kind. As for pictures, my phones camera isn't working currently, so I'll do my best to try to get some up through a camera. Went out today to start it up, and it started on the first pull. Think I found me a nice one.

78z2+2
01-01-2012, 05:19 PM
Well maybe i jinxed myself and talked to early. Two days ago I took off the carb and intake to make a gasket for in-between where it was leaking. Did that, put silicon gasket sealer on both sides and put it all back together the way it came apart. was very excited to see if this would fix the leak and make this thing run perfect. Well its the complete opposite. It took a lot of pulls to finally get it started. When it did start, it would run good for about ten seconds then just die. It acted like it was running out of gas, when it has plenty in it. I decided to change the spark plug, it was very black and didn't look good. That helped a little the first time i started it up, but still after about twenty seconds of running at idle it stalls out and dies. It acts like the carb is filling up with gas initially, then burning that off and dyeing. We even changed the fuel line in between the tank and the carb, but this didn't help either. Tried messing with the adjustments on the carb, but still same problem persists. What else could be causing this? Before i put in the gasket, the petcock would not work very well, and it would continue to feed gas in to the carb even after it was shut off. The gas would run through the carb and leak out the drain line on the bottom of the bowl of the carb. It now barley does this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have no idea where to look next.

fabiodriven
01-01-2012, 06:12 PM
Don't get deterred grasshopper.

These machines are antiques now and what initially seems like a simple issue can quickly turn into a project as you have learned. Just have patience and start from the beginning.

Is the inside of the tank rusty? If so, is it clogging the screen on the petcock?

Have you cleaned the carb?

Have you checked the valve lash?

Is the choke working properly?

Just start from the beginning and work one problem at a time. You already know it has the potential to run well so you'll do OK once you go through it.

78z2+2
01-01-2012, 06:39 PM
Inside of tank is really clean for being as old as it is. Took the line off of the petcock to the carb and it is getting gas down to the carb. We believe the float is sticking on the carb. Going to take it off tonight and clean the carb tomorrow.

78z2+2
01-02-2012, 07:22 PM
Got the carb off today. Was pretty dirty. Let it soak in some carb cleaner for a while. Also pretty sure i found my problem. The float had a repair done on it at one point. It had some putty over what was probably a crack at one time. I looked at it closer and found another crack in it. Shook it, and sure enough gas was inside the float. So figure I'm going to need a rebuild kit, or just a new carb. Rebuild kit cost about 22 bucks on ebay and a new carb cost 30. Probably will go with the new carb. But, said why not and put some of the good ole trusty gasket sealer over the crack in the float. Let it dry up for about two hours and put it all back together and on the kaw. Put some gas in, adjusted the choke, pulled it once and it started right up. Ran like a champ. So I'm positive my problem is that float. I will eventually buy a new carb, but for now going to enjoy it while the sealer holds up. It was snowing here in ohio today, so got it out and did some donuts out in the yard. Glad i found the problem. One little thing I was wondering about though. When I started it after putting the carb back on I let it idle for a while and occasionally revved it a little. After I turned it off, and ran inside to grab some coats and gloves, i came back and there was a small, but still noticeable puddle of oil under it. It came from the breather hose that runs from the left side of the engine, just under the top end. What is causing oil to come out of the breather? Is my mixture wrong, or is this something to expect with an old three wheeler?

fabiodriven
01-02-2012, 07:55 PM
It could be caused by blow-by or worn rings but if the machine doesn't smoke then that may not be the case.

Was it over-filled with oil maybe? Are you checking the oil level right?

I'm glad it was a simple fix for ya!

78z2+2
01-02-2012, 08:29 PM
Thats what i was thinking, that it was over filled with oil. I actually don't know how to check the level. It has the little glass at the bottom of the crankcase like our four wheeler, but it doesn't look clear enough to see. Any other way to check it?

muthey
01-02-2012, 08:34 PM
isn't there a dipstick that is attached to the oil plug cover?if not maybe pull the oil cap and put a flashlight over it to light up the crank case so you can see the oil level, I remember that my ninja was supposed to have the oil reaching the center of the sight glass when it was full. Either way couldn't hurt to change the oil as you don't know what was put into it before you bought it.

78z2+2
01-02-2012, 09:05 PM
It doesn't have the dipstick. I will check it tomorrow using a flashlight. Thanks for the help

78z2+2
01-02-2012, 10:04 PM
Just went out and checked quick. The entire sight glass was black with oil. There was a very small bubble at the top but i'd say it probably has too much oil in it. How do I drain the excess oil?

fabiodriven
01-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Change it and fill it right. Find out if it has an oil filter. If it does, get a new one. If it has a screen, clean it.

Make sure you get the right viscosity oil and it is usable with a wet clutch. Motorcycle oil is what you want. I use synthetic, but you don't have to. Oil is not something to cheap out on. Expect to spend 6-10 bucks a quart, it's well worth it.

That should be the first thing you do when you buy a used machine, change the oil.

78z2+2
01-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Alright, thanks for the help again! I'll try to get at that tomorrow...wish i didn't leave in two days, want more time to ride it.

Tank
01-03-2012, 02:11 AM
It could be a dirty plug or you might have low compression

78z2+2
01-05-2012, 06:55 PM
Alright, I kept checking daily on craigslist and found another three wheeler that looked to be a good buy. I cant afford to have two three wheelers at this time though. I talked to the owner of this yamaha 225dx, and asked if he would be willing to trade. He said he would take the kawasaki klt plus 200 cash on top. What do you guys think, go for the trade, or just be happy with the klt110 and fix it up? Here is the link: http://toledo.craigslist.org/rvs/2782136869.html I could go get this done tomorrow probably, but not sure if its worth it. Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks guys.

sgtpetrol
01-05-2012, 06:59 PM
It looks pretty nice and 600 seems a good price i would do it, but as for trading i would have to see what the kawasaki klt looks like to tell you

78z2+2
01-05-2012, 07:08 PM
Theres a picture of it early in this thread. Its in good shape and always starts on the first pull. Rear fenders need some paint, and front fender is broken. Has extra set of back wheels. I paid 225 for it a while back

fabiodriven
01-05-2012, 10:25 PM
I would do that for sure. If you like the KLT, you'll love the DX.

muthey
01-05-2012, 10:28 PM
I would do it in a heartbeat, you'll love the dx, and parts are alot easier to get, plastics are painted, but that's not a big deal they look to be in good condition. On the plus side you are getting 200$ extra with it.

78z2+2
01-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Oh no, im paying 200 on top for it. But i think it would be a good deal. It looks to be in good shape.

78z2+2
01-05-2012, 11:56 PM
As much as im going to kick myself over this one, I decided to pass on the yamaha. I'm currently a full time student in college, and really don't have the time to make it worth it for me to go get it. I will just enjoy the kaw and have fun on my cheap investment. If someone lives near bg, ohio, this is really a steal and a nice machine. Thanks for the help guys. Pretty excited to get this kaw fixed up nicely and have some fun on it.

swampthang
01-06-2012, 10:40 AM
As much as im going to kick myself over this one, I decided to pass on the yamaha. I'm currently a full time student in college, and really don't have the time to make it worth it for me to go get it. I will just enjoy the kaw and have fun on my cheap investment. If someone lives near bg, ohio, this is really a steal and a nice machine. Thanks for the help guys. Pretty excited to get this kaw fixed up nicely and have some fun on it.
It's a shame you don't live closer to this guy hes looking for a kawi 110 http://carbondale.craigslist.org/mcy/2778694669.html I'd say keep the bike you have for now just to have a ride and keep looking by the time you find something else you might have more money saved up.

78z2+2
01-26-2012, 05:03 PM
I have a chance to buy an 83 honda atc200e. Guy said he would take 425 for it. What do you guys think? Try to sell the klt and get this or stay with the kaw? Any opinions are greatly appreciated. Heres the link: http://toledo.craigslist.org/mcy/2755695938.html

swampthang
01-26-2012, 05:13 PM
Kind of looks like the fork is off of a 200s. If it is then I would consider that a upgrade. If it runs good then I could see it being worth $425. Honda is alot easier to find parts for compared to the Kawi. Also it should have 5 gears in high and low not 3 if it doesn't shift threw all five id stay away.

78z2+2
01-26-2012, 05:31 PM
Yeah, it even has the title and registration. Needs a battery, but said he charged it up and the lights still worked and starter still engaged. Thing that makes it hard is I think I would have a difficult time trying to sell the klt.

muthey
01-26-2012, 10:24 PM
is it just me or does it look like that thing has 25" tires on the back and a 22" on the front?

pulseaction
01-27-2012, 07:21 AM
Key Features:

* Those big fat tires deliver great traction and rider comfort over a wide range of terrain, and they make the TW200 the most distinctive-looking dual purpose machine around.
* A low seat and compact chassis help inspire confidence in anybody who rides the TW200, making it one of the most user friendly on/off-road bikes on the market.
* Electric start and full street equipment mean it’s super convenient to ride the TW200 just about wherever you need to go.

swampthang
01-27-2012, 01:24 PM
Key Features:

* Those big fat tires deliver great traction and rider comfort over a wide range of terrain, and they make the TW200 the most distinctive-looking dual purpose machine around.
* A low seat and compact chassis help inspire confidence in anybody who rides the TW200, making it one of the most user friendly on/off-road bikes on the market.
* Electric start and full street equipment mean it’s super convenient to ride the TW200 just about wherever you need to go.

Cool good to know, but whats that have to do with a big red??:lol: