PDA

View Full Version : Wisdom teeth

Tking
12-14-2011, 05:48 PM
Got my wisdom teeth pulled today.
I was put out to do it but now that I'm home and the novicane has worn off my mouth hurts like hell and it seems like blood is oozing from my stitches. The doc told me to expect this but, it looks like no work for tomorrow.

TheRealFatShady
12-14-2011, 06:13 PM
Yea that procedure kind of sucks. I gave them a weight much heavier than my actual so that I wouldn't wake up (being put to sleep).....still didn't work. They gave me more during the procedure, but I was up for more than 30 of the 45 or so minutes.

I played wiffle ball the next day....looked like a chipmunk and would spit blood every so often. The day after was worse, but I assume they gave you some painkillers?

Good luck, wish you a speedy recovery. My father got an infection when his were removed in the Navy; lucky that didn't happen to me as well.

Tking
12-14-2011, 06:23 PM
Thanks man, I did get some pain killers but I can tell my cheeks are getting puffy and the rest of my teeth feel sore also.
I hope to be out of the house and back to work Friday but I see how it goes.

shortline10
12-14-2011, 06:26 PM
Think it hurts today wait till tomorrow :beer: is what you need :lol:

trizilla
12-14-2011, 06:30 PM
i had a tooth pulled by the oral surgeon yesterday... i didnt go to work today but i think i will be good tomorrow. you should take it easy for a couple days, it is a surgical procedure.. be sure to keep your mouth clean so you dont get infection. rinsing with salt water every couple hrs is a good idea too. and be sure to refrain from anything that may cause a dry socket, while i have not had this i hear the pain is worse than the procedure itself. good luck and take care..

Tking
12-14-2011, 06:37 PM
Funny I was just thinking the same thing, but won't salt water burn?

RIDE-RED 250r
12-14-2011, 06:46 PM
I'm sorry but I can't relate with you guys on this one. Almost 34 and I don't have a single filling or missing tooth. Been to the dentist twice in my life. (probably not good!) Had all 4 wisdom in since I was 17 with no trouble. I suppose my day is coming, but I hope not too soon as I HATE needles!

I have had friends and family go through having all 4 wisdoms pulled at the same time... Looks like no picnic at all!

Feel better soon!

Vealmonkey
12-14-2011, 06:54 PM
I only have 2 of my 4 wisdom teeth. 2 were pulled when I was in the Navy. It was pretty miserable. Keep rinsing with the salt water. The burn of the salt water is a far better pain then an infection in your gums. And big tip here, don't accidentally swallow any of the salt water! LOL

badass350x
12-14-2011, 07:01 PM
Had all four of mine done at the same time with just the gas! Wasn't too bad.

Tking
12-14-2011, 07:55 PM
I'm tired of sitting around on the couch all day mouth bleeding, jaw sore.

I'm going to try the salt water rinse thing.

My wife just told she never had any wisdom teeth. Some people have all the luck.

dirtflinger66
12-14-2011, 08:19 PM
dude do the salt water I had all 4 pulled and got "Dry Sockets" the worst F'n pain Ive ever had caused migrians and vomitting. Do everything you can to not get em. Good news is if you do get em you can have them packed with gause and pain killer. works instantly!!! found that out 3 days of pain later. Good luck

oldtime3wheeler
12-14-2011, 08:33 PM
I had 3 of mine pulled when I was in my mid 30's. Two of them were impacted. I was in some discomfort the day they were removed. The next day I felt fine. No swelling and was eating chicken with pasta for dinner. I heard it all depends on you bone structure and the doctor. Good luck and hope you recover quickly.

jays375
12-14-2011, 09:07 PM
Nothing you can do really for it.You think it's bad now what a few days.Had all four of mine yarded out.Think he used a bumper jack to pry my mouth open.I can just picture the sob sitting on my chest with a pair of vice grips yarding them out.Wait till the little shards work there way out.

badass350x
12-14-2011, 09:38 PM
Nothing you can do really for it.You think it's bad now what a few days.Had all four of mine yarded out.Think he used a bumper jack to pry my mouth open.I can just picture the sob sitting on my chest with a pair of vice grips yarding them out.Wait till the little shards work there way out.

Lmfao!!!!!!

300rman
12-14-2011, 09:44 PM
I had to have 2 removed, I didn't grow the other two.

they had to dig them out, they were growing forward instead of up, which is odd because I have extremely straight teeth, naturally. It sucked, and some asshole doing our carpet stole half of my pain medication. Couldnt prove it, he must have stashed them somewhere or ate them immediately cause the boss came and strip searched all the employees..Man, that guy was pissed. We knew which employee it was, the guy looked like a junkie, but nobody couldnt prove it :/

I dont know how people back in the days handled stuff like this, teeth pushing your other teeth around, but you dont know what the problem is, causing tons of pain.....

Lil Earl
12-14-2011, 11:17 PM
i dont know if it was cause i am only 17, but i did not have a lick of problem with having my wisdom teeth pulled, came home took 1 pill and nothing after that, but i think the worst part was having that extra food in the holes haha

Tking
12-15-2011, 09:42 AM
You guys were right my jaw,mouth and teeth are just as sore today as they were yesterday, good thing for Hydrocodone.

Lil Earl your lucky you didn't have much pain. I guess I should have had this done when I was younger too I think it's worse when you get older.

rdlsz24
12-15-2011, 12:30 PM
I got mine out when I was 21 I think. It was a super quick procedure, I got gassed. I swelled up and got black eyes from it lol. Looked like I got my azz beat when I went back to work 3 days later.

Rob

Motorious
12-15-2011, 02:25 PM
Had 3 wisdom teeth pulled when awake and shot full of novocaine when I was 18.

Worst...experience...EVER!

My choppers don't get along very well, too many crammed in my mouth, all growing at crazy angles.

My dentist was a sadistic SOB...just like the Steve Martin Little Shop Of Horrors guy (minus the Elvis shenanigans of course)...lost track of the number of shots of novocaine he gave me, but he said I'd reached the limit...my face felt paralyzed and was drooling like Hooch, but still wasn't enough to ease the pain...refused to put me under saying he couldn't legally administer the anesthesia...you could tell he really enjoyed doing this type of thing...used a sterile pair of pliers just like the kind found in your toolkit...1st 2 he yanked the pain was bad but tolerable...last one he yanked was the worst: it was huge (from crown to root had to have been about 3 inches long), impacted, and had a nasty cavity...felt like somebody jackhammering my tooth canal with an electrode...could hear/feel the root cracking off in my jaw...was literally in tears afterward until I got some Vicodin...amazingly effective painkiller...I was in LaLa land on that stuff.

Hope you heal well.

This scene always cracks me up:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOtMizMQ6oM

bkm
12-15-2011, 03:37 PM
Worst F'ing pain of my life. I had all 4 removed and all 4 were impacted. My lower jaw bone had to be cut into and both teeth chiseled out. 800mg of ibuprofen helped the pain better then the loopy pills like Percocet and Vicodin. Plus you can still function. I couldn't eat solid food for 2 weeks and had to drink Ensure just to get some nutrition. Plus to top all this off I was attending the Police Academy.

tri again
12-15-2011, 05:06 PM
I hesitate but can feel your pain.
Best to have some antibiotics, like 500 mg amox and ampicillin just in case you
run into the weekend and no one answers their phone.
Do NOT hesitate to go to the e-room if you have any raging infection symptoms.
Pain further than your jaw.
If tapping on your chin or somewhere just beyond your regular pain, shoots anywhere.

I had a bad tooth shoot to the fingers on my left hand..a 3 days freakin' weekend too.
Dentists like vicodin but it is mixed with tylenol.
Vicoprofen is much less toxic, if you have a choice.

My OLD dentist asked if I wanted painkillers and when I told him I wanted antibiotics, he said
"antibiotics won't kill the pain".
My fingers were turning black for god'ssake!!

As previous posters stated, the horrible pain is nothing compared to the possibility of
infection.

Tking
12-15-2011, 09:25 PM
I didn't get any antibiotics but I did get some good pain killers.
Funny thing is the pain in my left knee is gone (I've had pain for two years now in my knee)
I guess it's time to get that fixed.

Xpress
12-15-2011, 10:28 PM
Mine grew in perfectly straight. Seems like ALL of my friends are having wisdom teeth issues lately...

Dirtcrasher
12-16-2011, 02:20 AM
Just don't smoke or get "Dry Socket!!"

You'll be AOK in a few days...........