PDA

View Full Version : 1985 250SX Rear Plastics Question

jmowens
12-15-2011, 11:49 AM
OK, I recently picked up my dream trike - a 1985 250SX. I know, I know, the '85s have water issues. But that is the one I fell in love with many years ago...

Anyways, the plastics are completely shot (along with pretty much everything else, except for the motor and drive train):

My question is this: I'm looking at getting some Maier rear plastics. Is there supposed to be any kind of support holding up the rear fenders? There is nothing structural on mine...

TIA.
Michael

kingofthe road
12-15-2011, 12:02 PM
Yes there is a bracket on both sides the hold the fenders up.
Terry

jmowens
12-15-2011, 12:18 PM
Do they actually attach to the fenders, or are they just supports that they lay on?

Tking
12-15-2011, 12:32 PM
They bolt on where the rear grab handle bolts on and they are just supports the fender lays on.

Check eBay they should have a bunch of them

3wheely
12-15-2011, 12:41 PM
Yep they just lay on the supports. The maiers do not have a working trunk if you didn't know or care. The maiers do have holes for the flaps if you have them. I'm holding out in hopes of finding a descent oem one for sale somewhere for mine. Probably pay a fortune.

jmowens
12-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Yep they just lay on the supports. The maiers do not have a working trunk if you didn't know or care. The maiers do have holes for the flaps if you have them. I'm holding out in hopes of finding a descent oem one for sale somewhere for mine. Probably pay a fortune.
Yeah, I'm not really happy about the idea of losing the trunk -- it's the only thing that's still any good on my plastics!

But I really need plastics, so I'll probably buy the Maiers.

Thanks Tking, I'll look for some while I'm trying to build up the nerve to tell the wife that I am spending another $150 on my "new" trike!!

tri again
12-15-2011, 06:58 PM
Might be slightly off topic but I just saw mythbusters vacuum forming
some plastic.
I wonder if there's a way to heat up some sort of plastic and
'press' it with a simple piece, like a front fender, or side covers to duplicate them.

murfman
12-15-2011, 08:26 PM
Might be slightly off topic but I just saw mythbusters vacuum forming
some plastic.
I wonder if there's a way to heat up some sort of plastic and
'press' it with a simple piece, like a front fender, or side covers to duplicate them.

I'd try it, but I'd be worried about errant cannonballs...

James S
12-15-2011, 09:47 PM
If your rear plastics are for the most part all there but are severly cracked, I have a suggestion. I would invest the time and research
into plastic welding and repair. When I started with my first atc project I invested in a plastic welder(similar to a hobby wood burning type tool) to finish my 200es. I also own 2 1985 250sx's and both fenders were cracked. So I welded/heated chicken wire instead of the mesh they supplied me with into the plastics, and using clamps to hold the plastic where I wanted, I reconstructed my rear fenders. Both fenders are completely fixed and I have been using them for almost a year. This process has saved me tons of money because I dont have to buy plastics for my projects if I can fix them myself.
Good Luck!

3wheely
12-15-2011, 10:29 PM
If your rear plastics are for the most part all there but are severly cracked, I have a suggestion. I would invest the time and research
into plastic welding and repair. When I started with my first atc project I invested in a plastic welder(similar to a hobby wood burning type tool) to finish my 200es. I also own 2 1985 250sx's and both fenders were cracked. So I welded/heated chicken wire instead of the mesh they supplied me with into the plastics, and using clamps to hold the plastic where I wanted, I reconstructed my rear fenders. Both fenders are completely fixed and I have been using them for almost a year. This process has saved me tons of money because I dont have to buy plastics for my projects if I can fix them myself.
Good Luck!

Does it look like it's been repaired with a seam or something? Post a pic if you have one.

jmowens
12-16-2011, 10:48 AM
Good Luck!

I'd LOVE to be able to do that, but the pic above is of the GOOD side of the plastics!! the left side is missing a chunk the size of a tire, and I don't have the pieces!

James S
12-16-2011, 04:53 PM
It does make it hard to work with fenders when you are missing a chunk that large, but if you can find another set of 250sx fenders that are repairable with
plastic welding and are cheap, its always better to stick to original pieces than aftermarkets.

Keepah Rolln
12-16-2011, 09:04 PM
Yup 2 supports. Heres a pic, you can see the one on the right with the hole it it somewhat.
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t234/BudBeerz/1985%20Honda%20250%20sx/SummerandFall2011343.jpg