PDA

View Full Version : Tri Zinger Idle problem

n61870
12-15-2011, 06:41 PM
Ok so I got the spark issue fixed got the new carb on and it still wouldnt start so I took the exhaust off and it fired right up. So I unclogged it and drilled thru the baffle where the silencer connects and it runs like a top now except for idling. The airbox is removed and the oil injection tube is disconnected and the nipple is plugged. I have a Uni foam filter attached to the carb. I have the idle screw almost all the way in and it barely idles, the air screw is two turns out. When I put the new carb (one of those ebay aftermarket ones) on I left the old slides attached to the cables and bolted the old cap onto the new carb.

Any ideas how to get this thing idling like a champ?

Jon Boy
12-15-2011, 08:06 PM
i'm still learning about these zingers really, but from what you described i want to say the idle screw needs turned out more. can check mine tomorrow if needed, not sure if it matters though i am still running OEM.

n61870
12-15-2011, 08:35 PM
It wouldnt idle at all with the screw about have way out or so. I kept it running while I screwed it in and I got it to barely idle a couple times with the screw all the way in, but it eventually just dies. Im wondering if I need to rejet it. The previous owner said he couldnt get it to idle but I figured he just didnt know what he was doing, I guess Im the one who doesnt know what hes doing.

If I need to rejet, where would I get some jets?

Jon Boy
12-15-2011, 11:38 PM
should've asked this earlier. have you pulled the plug to see what it looks like?

not sure what you'd have to get for your carb since it's aftermarket. my manual for the original carb says Main Jet#92.5, Pilot Jet#40 and just incase, Needle Jet E-8, Jet Needle 3x1-3.

n61870
12-16-2011, 12:23 AM
Yes brand new plug with about 15 min of runtime and its already black/wet. I think I mixed the gas 50:1. It looks as though its running very rich. I looked at my old carb and there is no marking on the main jet, so I have no idea what size it is.

another owner
12-16-2011, 02:46 AM
A video if you could would help alot. The sound of what a engine makes when it's idling rough helps alot - And when you give it a bit of juice.
We can all toss out a whole heap of ideas for you to do and nothing could correct the problem.
If it's only running rough at idle and not underload through out gears then it could be your jetting. I think its the pilot jet that sets the amount of fuel going in when
idling, Correct me if im wrong please.

Jon Boy
12-16-2011, 03:17 AM
yeah, a vid would be best. 50:1? might want to try something more like 32:1.

another owner
12-16-2011, 03:44 AM
50:1 shouldn't be too bad depending on what quality oil he's using, But it does seem a bit far fetched. I was gonna say 32:1 (Which is what I use for my KX) but with what you have been playing around with, the O/F ratio shouldn't be putting the motor off.
I would put the current fuel in another container and replace it with a 32:1 mixture.

James S
12-16-2011, 05:11 PM
I agree with another owner, I really think that mixture could be giving you the problems. Give it a shot
and let us know.
Good Luck!