PDA

View Full Version : Some problems with my 350x

Nesbitt60
12-16-2011, 03:55 AM
So I have had my 85 350x for a couple years and ran into my first problem a year ago when I cracked my case and since then have had nothing but problems so after hours of trying to work out all the bugs I ended up buying a 400ex carb for it and started it up and it seemed to fix alot of the problems except one it was smoking thick white smoke really bad with a high idle the new carb fixed the idle but there is still a little bit of white smoke except now it's not as thick and doesn't smell like oil but I have a Coffman super trap on it and it just rained could it be water got in it? And also I have trouble with my lights all of a sudden one day they shut off but they were running bright with no problem before they quit working the tail light went out first and the. The head light the next day I replaced the stater but would it be the lights? Or possibly the switch?

another owner
12-16-2011, 04:06 AM
White smoke is usually the sign on water/cooland being burnt. But could also be cold whether give it a real good run, Could be moisture residue. For your light problem a volt meter would suit you best to see if there is current going to/from the lights and switches (Checked your bulbs?).

GoObYdOo
12-16-2011, 06:10 AM
Additional info would be helpful...

1.how did you crack the case?

2.did you replace the case or have it welded up?

3.did you replace all the gaskets & seals if you had it apart?

4.take out your spark plug,what does it look like?

As this is an air cooled engine,you can eliminate the possibility of a coolant issue.With a cracked case,if you had it welded,chances are its still cracked,being a welder myself,a cracked case is a PITA because the metal is practically impregnated with oil after 25 years of use and in a crack,damn near impossible to clean properly before welding.

It could still be sucking air in through the crack (if its still there,even lightly) a crank seal or a gasket somewhere in the engine causing a high idle.

If its smoking really bad and it was smelling like oil,it sounds like it might be time for a top end rebuild,check valves,valve seats,piston/rings etc...it sounds like oil is either slipping past the rings or through the valve seats to me!

As for the headlights,check voltage at the plugs for your headlight,it sounds like you may have a bad AC Regulator,check your voltage at your headlight plug wires,if you're getting more than 12-13 volts your regulator is bad and needs replaced,try it while revving the motor a little bit too,in high and low beam.If the voltage spikes high that tells me your regulator is bad which I would replace ASAP as it can burn out your ignition over time.

GoObYdOo
12-16-2011, 12:01 PM
correction,through the service manual it says 13.5-14.5v

Nesbitt60
12-17-2011, 12:13 AM
Yea it turned put to be purely carb problems I put a 400ex carb on and it runs better than ever and ok I will try testing the volts I just didn't want to replace the light and that not fox it thank you for the help

baycitysteve
12-17-2011, 12:41 AM
if they got real bright then blew try a new voltage rergulator or make sure the one you have is pluged in ..

Nesbitt60
12-23-2011, 09:56 PM
Yea it was not plugged in so I SwappEd some bulbs and it's fine now