PDA

View Full Version : Warped Forks? 250SX

jmowens
12-16-2011, 07:17 PM
I searched, but didn't find anything...

On my "new" 250SX, the left side is lower than the right...

Measured all along the rear axle. It looks and measures straight. Grab bar is same distance from the ground on both sides.

As you move forward, you see differences in height from ground from side to side...

At footpegs, right is about 1/4" higher than left.

At triple tree, right side is almost 1-1/4" higher off the ground than left.

I measured the distances between the triple trees on both sides -- measurements are exactly the same. Actually, I think the triple trees are exactly square.

Front axle is straight (had it out last night).

Nothing looks bent on the frame.

Where do I start?

I tried to take a picture, but I even know what it looks like, and *I* can't tell in the picture...

TIA

ATCcountryboy
12-16-2011, 07:38 PM
I have the same problem on my big red. When you sit on it the left seems lower than the right. Have you tried checking the tire pressure? It might be the forks but Im not sure, I put a level on mine and the left is lower than the right. Try checking the tires and if its not them then its either the forks or the frame.

jmowens
12-16-2011, 07:50 PM
Yeah, tires were my first thought (since I came off a 110 with a slow leak, this was a common occurrence). But, that's not it. Just can't figure out where the problem is.

Keepah Rolln
12-16-2011, 08:23 PM
Can you post a couple pics? Sounds like one side of your fork is bent or out. Don't take much to throw everything off. Not sure though

jmowens
12-16-2011, 08:34 PM
Lemme see what I can do. I took a pic, but you couldn't tell...

I'll try again.

fabiodriven
12-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Holy newbs.

From what you're describing there are really only two possibilities.

1- Your frame is twisted. That's my guess.

2- Your swing arm bushings are wasted.

It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out.

Are you sure the pegs are not bent? 1/4 inch out on each peg? That's not a whole lot of difference when it comes to foot pegs. They get bent often and if they were bent really far and then bent back they could just be "good enough", meaning they're straight but not 100% perfect.

I have no idea how you guys could be thinking it's a fork issue if the trike is leaning to one side. In case you hadn't noticed, the forks travel up and down simultaneously with the axle. There is no physical way that one fork could be farther up in it's travel than the other. They both go up and down together.

ATCcountryboy
12-16-2011, 09:38 PM
What do you do if you have a twisted frame? Is there any way to fix it?

fabiodriven
12-16-2011, 09:45 PM
I would just like to add another possibility.

3- Twisted swing arm.

I'm not sure what you could do to straighten the frame to be honest. I've never done it.

jmowens
12-16-2011, 10:02 PM
OK, here's the best I could do in the garage...

jmowens
12-16-2011, 10:04 PM
Obviously it's been wrecked pretty badly in the past. The headlight guard IS pretty bent up.

So, do the forks themselves bend? They travel up and down fine, so I can't really tell...

And yes, I know, it looks bad. But it runs great, and I got it really cheap!

jb2wheels
12-16-2011, 10:19 PM
oh yes - forks get bent all the time. Sometimes it's hard to tell. I thought the forks were good on my 350x but found a bent one when I took it apart.

For me, the best way to check is:
- lift trike
- remove front wheel and axle and stuff as if you were going to pull the forks out of the tripples
- one side at a time, loosen the tripples enough to spin the upper tube in the tripples
- while spinning the upper tube in the tripples, watch the bottom of the fork - if it wobbles, your fork is bent

Also, once I took the forks out and pulled the cap, the bent fork did not travel smoothly throughout it's travel. It would bind in the last couple of inches or so.

jmowens
12-16-2011, 10:43 PM
Holy newbs.

From what you're describing there are really only two possibilities.

1- Your frame is twisted. That's my guess.

2- Your swing arm bushings are wasted.

It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out.

Are you sure the pegs are not bent? 1/4 inch out on each peg? That's not a whole lot of difference when it comes to foot pegs. They get bent often and if they were bent really far and then bent back they could just be "good enough", meaning they're straight but not 100% perfect.

I have no idea how you guys could be thinking it's a fork issue if the trike is leaning to one side. In case you hadn't noticed, the forks travel up and down simultaneously with the axle. There is no physical way that one fork could be farther up in it's travel than the other. They both go up and down together.

Wow. High horse?
Might try to help with out being an Arse...
Anyways, from riding a motorcycle many years ago, I do know that forks can get warped (twisted), but didn't know if this would cause the trike to lean (this is my first trike with "real" front suspension).

I was measuring at the BASE of the footpegs, not the end (just because someone doesn't have a million forum posts doesn't mean they are a complete idiot).

Swing arm bushings seem to be solid. I haven't taken the swing arm off, but there is no play, and they seem solid.

I haven't checked the frame enough to see if there is any twist. It's not obvious if there is. I guess I will just have to tear it all down to really tell...

fabiodriven
12-16-2011, 10:50 PM
I'm not on my high horse, I'm just amazed by the stupidity. Look at the options here, seriously. I know that forks bend all the time but I fail to see how a bent fork is going to make the trike lean. How did you get to that point?

I'm just saying there really aren't a whole lot of options here as to why the machine would be leaning.

jmowens
12-16-2011, 11:11 PM
"Holy newbs."
"I have no idea how you guys could be thinking it's a fork issue if the trike is leaning to one side. In case you hadn't noticed, the forks travel up and down simultaneously with the axle. There is no physical way that one fork could be farther up in it's travel than the other. They both go up and down together."

Sounds like you're riding pretty high to me, buddy.
If you'll notice, I've been a member for almost two years, but don't ever post -- often because I search and find the answer, but often because I don't want to deal with the condescending attitude of some of the people who live on forums.

My point is this: simply, you can be helpful without coming off like a jerk -- might have more participation from "newbs" if it weren't for people trying to prove their superior intellect by belittling them.

I'll just go back to being an non-contributing member.

fabiodriven
12-17-2011, 12:03 AM
Sounds like a plan. Not sure how much you could help anybody anyways if this has you so puzzled.

If I had the trike in front of me I'd have it diagnosed in under five minutes. That's not me being arrogant or talking from high on my horse, that's just the truth.

jmowens
12-17-2011, 12:16 AM
Mods please delete this thread. Apparently I ticked James Taylor off.

I misunderstood. I thought the point of the forum was to help people of common interests...

Young man, one day you will realize that you're not the smartest person in the room, and when you do, I truly hope that you are a good enough person to realize that instead of being a jerk, you could have simply helped a "newb" nicely and probably made a friend while helping someone!

Keepah Rolln
12-17-2011, 11:51 AM
Let us know if you find out whats wrong with it...

ATCcountryboy
12-17-2011, 07:00 PM
fabiodriven. There is no reason to be a jerk because someone asked a question and didn't know the answer. The point of this website is to ask questions and get answers, not to tell others how stupid they are because they might not know the answer. I myself have only had my trike for about two months and I am only 14, so I do not know very much about trikes. I sure wouldn't be happy if I posted a question and got back responses on how stupid I am because I don't know a lot about trikes.

Dirtcrasher
12-23-2011, 12:12 AM
Sounds like your whole neck of the frame is twisted (that would be a huge tumble though, so I doubt that...), or possibly the swinger itself. All my 85's got bent swingers from jumping but a crash could do the same.

The frames seem tough on those models, but the rest (forks/swinger/short axle tubes etc) can be an issue as well as the 2 swinger pivot bearings and pivots can wear out very bad if they got mud/water/sand in them; Thats an easy check...... just grab the bars and rock it back in forth violently while a buddy puts his finger near the contact area, he will feel it.......

The 85 swinger bends fairly easily, but I've ruined 87 swingers too. They don't like to be jumped or used as a submarine but are fun trail trikes.

These bolted together swingers are a big problem on the SX and the ES/Big Reds. I'd remove and measure my forks to rule that out but the problem may be where I mentioned 1st - the swingarm. Those forks bend very easily as they are the same diameter as the 200X; I think there 32mm's (33??) O.D. Loosen the triple tree bolts and spin the forks within the triples and if the hub moves around , then they are bent.

You may have a combination of problems.

Simple tests and a tape measure will help you immensely....... Over inflated tires can make it lopsided also. You can't go by air pressure, you have to measure the diameter/circumference.

jmowens
01-07-2012, 02:59 PM
OK, so I've determined that there are multiple problems. The frame is twisted a bit, nut not that badly.

I re-measured my tripples. there was a 1/16" difference. Loosened and made square. It actually made a HUGE difference.

Thanks for all the positive input.