PDA

View Full Version : Antique Electrical Plug

300rman
12-17-2011, 05:20 PM
**EDIT**
I have been cleaning these things up, and the same piece on every one is stamped BRYANT, and on the other side is stamped 250V, 10A
**EDIT

I cannot find ANY info on these plugs/sockets.

picture 1. on the faceplate, you can see that the little flaps are hinged to allow the plug to be plugged in.

Pic 2 is what the socket looks like.

Pic 3 is what the plug looks like. The pic doesnt show it well, but it is only a 2 prong plug.

ANY info would be great. This crap is definitely old as hell, the sockets are ceramic.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n313/NightBiker07/Light%20Socket/100_2908.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n313/NightBiker07/Light%20Socket/100_2909.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n313/NightBiker07/Light%20Socket/100_2910.jpg

Scootertrash
12-19-2011, 08:39 AM
I'm into old electrical stuff, but never have seen one of those before. Try this site, they may be able to help you out:

http://antiquesockets.com/

Can you post a pic here of the back of the faceplate?

How about one with the plate on the socket and the plug inserted into the socket?

It won't help me to tell you what it's for, I'm just interested to see it all together.

Where did you get it?

300rman
12-19-2011, 09:52 AM
Got them out of a basement of an early 1900's house. House is 10,000 ish sq.ft, it was definitely a wealthy person's house.
I like the look of it plugged in, it looks way better than anything modern.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n313/NightBiker07/Light%20Socket/100_2912.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n313/NightBiker07/Light%20Socket/100_2913.jpg

Scootertrash
12-19-2011, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the additional pics, they help me to see how it actually works. I was confused about the 2 brass pins in the socket.

Very cool plug setup. Any manufacturer name or other identification on it? voltage? wattage?

If you decide you want to part with it let me know, I may be interested in buying it from you if the price is right

300rman
12-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the additional pics, they help me to see how it actually works. I was confused about the 2 brass pins in the socket.

Very cool plug setup. Any manufacturer name or other identification on it? voltage? wattage?

If you decide you want to part with it let me know, I may be interested in buying it from you if the price is right

Ive got quite a bit of it. I didnt update the house's electrical, so I dont know much. I'm trying to figure out what they are, the pearl-inlaid push button switches I got are worth quite a bit once I get them cleaned up.

300rman
01-07-2012, 07:31 PM
That site Antiquesockets.com is a dead end. It is based around lamps, but the forum area doesnt work, and there is no way to contact someone that runs the site, the "contact us" button doesnt work.

300rman
01-07-2012, 10:47 PM
I have been cleaning these things up, and the same piece on every one is stamped BRYANT, and on the other side is stamped 250V, 10A

Scootertrash
01-08-2012, 10:34 AM
That site Antiquesockets.com is a dead end. It is based around lamps, but the forum area doesnt work, and there is no way to contact someone that runs the site, the "contact us" button doesnt work.

I haven't been there for awhile until today after I saw your post, so I don't know how long the site has been down. Much like this site being based around trikes, yet having other forums for other topics, antique sockets.com is much the same. People I know who collect antique electrical items have had questions answered about other vintage electrical things like plugs, rheostats, electric fans, and IIRC vintage electrical testing items, etc, etc, etc. be patient and check back to see if the site is back up.

I'm guessing that the most info you are goin to find is an approximiate date of manufacture (which is not the same as the patent date).
Any monetary value will be determined by what you can sell it for, not what you may think it is worth.

Most people today are afraid of vintage electrical items like plugs, but yet they have no problem putting early 1900 ivory button switches in their homes, figure that one out. I collect antique brass bladed fans, My oldest was made in 1908, and still runs great. As soon as I tell people how old it is and then bend down to plug it in they freak out: OMGWTFBBQ!!! YOU'RE NOT GOING TO PLUG THAT IN ARE YOU??!!??!!! I tell them to stand back just in case. :naughty::lol:

I posted you pics on another site asked for help in getting info. I don't frequent the site that often anymore, but maybe I can some info for you. I posted your pics and asked the question so you don't have to go thru the hassle of registering. I'll let you know what I find, if anything.

300rman
01-08-2012, 01:28 PM
I haven't been there for awhile until today after I saw your post, so I don't know how long the site has been down. Much like this site being based around trikes, yet having other forums for other topics, antique sockets.com is much the same. People I know who collect antique electrical items have had questions answered about other vintage electrical things like plugs, rheostats, electric fans, and IIRC vintage electrical testing items, etc, etc, etc. be patient and check back to see if the site is back up.

I'm guessing that the most info you are goin to find is an approximiate date of manufacture (which is not the same as the patent date).
Any monetary value will be determined by what you can sell it for, not what you may think it is worth.

Most people today are afraid of vintage electrical items like plugs, but yet they have no problem putting early 1900 ivory button switches in their homes, figure that one out. I collect antique brass bladed fans, My oldest was made in 1908, and still runs great. As soon as I tell people how old it is and then bend down to plug it in they freak out: OMGWTFBBQ!!! YOU'RE NOT GOING TO PLUG THAT IN ARE YOU??!!??!!! I tell them to stand back just in case. :naughty::lol:

I posted you pics on another site asked for help in getting info. I don't frequent the site that often anymore, but maybe I can some info for you. I posted your pics and asked the question so you don't have to go thru the hassle of registering. I'll let you know what I find, if anything.

Awesome, Thanks for the help :)

As for the plug, I dont figure anyone will buy them to use them, that would be stupid!

As for those button switches, I have 5 of them that have Pearl in on button, and one that has pearl in both buttons. (that one is actually an early 3 way switch, but the ceramic was broke beyond repair, so I put the internals into a regular one way switch housing. Still works the same, there is just a set of unused contacts on the rocker)
At least, I am pretty sure its pearl.
3 of them work perfectly, the other 3 dont click, but they still work.

Scootertrash
01-09-2012, 08:25 PM
The material in the switch buttons is actually Mother-of-Pearl or Nacre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother-of-pearl

Pearls were expensive back in those days, you'd waste alot of the pearl just cutting that one little slice out.

No info from the other site yet. I'll give it a couple more days.

300rman
01-09-2012, 09:14 PM
Happened across this in a totally unrelated thread on another forum

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc172/480sparky/Material/1916TR2.jpg [/quote]

rjs89ia
01-09-2012, 09:17 PM
i found another lead for your plugins, i went on google and typed in "early 1900 electrical outlets" and the first link i clicked on "early electrical lighting in homes" website www.rexophone.com/ somethin somethin the link wouldnt work if i posted it. but about half to three-quarter of the way down the page theres a photo with that plug shown on it and a caption underneath that refers a book about old style outlets.

aldochina
01-10-2012, 01:31 AM
cool. i have never seen one. seems odd to me that it is 250v. i didnt know they would use 250v for lighting in residential applications. especially back then. i think some european countries use 220-250v for evrything.

Scootertrash
01-10-2012, 10:05 AM
i found another lead for your plugins, i went on google and typed in "early 1900 electrical outlets" and the first link i clicked on "early electrical lighting in homes" website www.rexophone.com/ somethin somethin the link wouldnt work if i posted it. but about half to three-quarter of the way down the page theres a photo with that plug shown on it and a caption underneath that refers a book about old style outlets.

Here is the link:
http://www.rexophone.com/?p=1175

Some cool old electrical stuff there.

I like how, in one portion of the page, they say "These outlets were not very safe for children". The huge main difference back then from today (and even when I was a kid) was if your parents told you not to stick your finger in the socket you either:

A. Didn't do it, or

B. Did it and got a nice shock, after which your mother or father said "I told you not to put your finger in there, I bet you'll never do that again. Now go outside and play" instead of looking for someone to sue.

300rman
01-10-2012, 09:44 PM
Here is the link:
http://www.rexophone.com/?p=1175

Some cool old electrical stuff there.

I like how, in one portion of the page, they say "These outlets were not very safe for children". The huge main difference back then from today (and even when I was a kid) was if your parents told you not to stick your finger in the socket you either:

A. Didn't do it, or

B. Did it and got a nice shock, after which your mother or father said "I told you not to put your finger in there, I bet you'll never do that again. Now go outside and play" instead of looking for someone to sue.

Good find Scooter!

And too true on the suing thing. problem with that socket is, you wouldnt be able to withdraw your finger after inserting it!

cool. i have never seen one. seems odd to me that it is 250v. i didnt know they would use 250v for lighting in residential applications. especially back then. i think some european countries use 220-250v for evrything.

250V was one of the earliest electrical ratings there was.