PDA

View Full Version : atc 90 wiring issues

madmass
12-18-2011, 03:56 AM
Yes wiring issues... Im sure the topic is old however im hard headed and stumped. I am rewiring my 78 POINTS ignition atc 90... well lets just say i have a green wire out of the points, a black and yellow out of the Stator (behind the pull start) and a coil that is new "because I...the old one broke" only even though it is a Honda unit with a condenser it only has one wire off the condenser and one off the coil other than the plug wire. the issue I have is, I dont need the head light or the tail light. Just the basics (for it to run and a kill switch) is there any thing I can look at to get this done. The wiring diagrams are great that you post however I know nothing about wiring or how to bypass the extras. Anyway any help would be more than appreciated. I have been reading your forums for at least three months, what a great bunch of people

thanks in advance:)

tri again
12-18-2011, 01:57 PM
I just went thru a points 90.
Coil buried up inside the frame?
with tiny little (important) grounding coil mount nuts.

I'll have to look at a diagram again but ac voltage from the
stator goes to??
Maybe a rectifier to make DC and then to the coil and the points open and trigger the coil to hit the secondary winding and then spark?

MAYbe?
I don't remember seeing a rectifier, but that was at least 3 or 4 trikes ago.

Lemmie go look and congrats for searching on your own first.

ps - I DO remember than one of the 90's has a light switch ion the headlight bucket that actually controls the ignition.
It's a 3 position switch, off on and on.

Not sure if it's stock, but I do have at least one that's like that.
First on may be ignition and 2nd on is probably lights

madmass
12-18-2011, 02:23 PM
That's where I get confused. I did buy an aftermarket kill switch hoping I can just wire to it instead of an acual switch

tri again
12-18-2011, 02:45 PM
That's where I get confused. I did buy an aftermarket kill switch hoping I can just wire to it instead of an acual switch

I have one that the switch fell apart and there's a fiber disc with
the wire soldered to a blob / solder contact that I just ground to the handle bars to kill it.

Seems like they are 'always on' unless grounded to kill.

I should go look at the color of that wire. It came out of the headlight bucket on off switch.

Might be easier to look at a diagram. Don't need boots for that and it looks like it's snowing.

so?
do you have spark?
seems like simply disconnecting that switch would 'allow' spark.

madmass
12-18-2011, 03:05 PM
I should start over, first so you know this is a low buck build., that being said what i have is a rebuilt 78 motor with just the three wires (one from points and two from stator, a 74 frame with no wiring at all, it did have the coil but it fell apart when i tried to remove it. so i ordered a new coil, it looks similar to the old one just not as long and only has three wires (the plug wire, wire coming off the condenser and one wire from bellow the plug wire). No factory switch, just a thumb throttle. I know it sounds crazy i was just hoping i could dumb it down without needing all the factory stuff. everything else is there, the axle and hubs, sprocket, new chain, tensioner, wheels, tires, exhaust and brakes. just the darn wiring issue.........