PDA

View Full Version : best racing trike?

ATCcountryboy
12-18-2011, 11:10 PM
I've already have a big red 250 and now im looking for something to race around and do jumps with. What trike should I get?

Swinger
12-18-2011, 11:16 PM
I myself am a Tecate guy but you cant beat the availability of 250R parts, stock or aftermarket! I like the way the Tri-Zs look but have heard the dont have enough to keep up with the others. Just what I heard and read, I have never rode a Z before.

wisconsinite
12-18-2011, 11:42 PM
a 200x is an option also, not as much power as the 2 strokes or 350x, but probably a cheaper option if you just want something kinda sporty

Tri-Z 250
12-19-2011, 11:46 AM
Right now? TPC 450 hands down. If your really looking for the BEST race trike TODAY and best money spent...all the way. Now compaired to a full resto and the big 3(250R Honda,250 Tecate,250 Tri-Z). I exclude the Tigers and Cagiva only because if you could have one...I doubt it would be raced just because of replacement value.
So that being said, my point: Each of the 3 have their own setbacks. The R having the least of them except if your long in the legs(some feel crampted). The Kawi has electrical and isn't known for the best rear suspension. The Z is LARGE in size and the motor needs attention if you want it's top potential. What each machine lacks is parts availablity and rebuild cost. Example $400-1000+ for a race breed trike: motor: $300-1200+ Frame: $75-250+blast/paint/powder Suspension:$65-1000+ Trires: $100-1200 rims/rubber Plasic: $0-500+ Carb:$40-300+filter/oversized Pipe: $100-300
Yes you could spend $2300-4000 and grab a race trike ready to run already setup. Any top to bottom full on resto with All the race goodies is going to run $4000+(unless you can do ALL the labor yourself then maybe $3000). REMEMBER You will still be riding a 20+ yr old machine with time on the frame and wear parts(but maybe your the vintage type and that apeals to you). You will end up spending more on shipping than the parts you need in the future, because there not down the road at a local shop. If you could do a cheaper TPC around $6500 I think you'd be far ahead of the pack.
The 200X is an option...but no more than a B class machine...It just doesn't have enough motor. I run one and to me it's harder to go faster on the X to the Z...homie:lol:

badass350x
12-20-2011, 01:01 AM
Couldn't say that any better!!!

twisted
12-20-2011, 01:53 PM
honda 250r all the way baby...

STiForester
12-20-2011, 02:56 PM
I myself am a Tecate man. Live and die 2 stroke. 250r parts are more readily available but I haven't had trouble with my 85 Tecate I'm rebuilding. I got it as a frame and in pieces and she runs and only thing missing is the kill switch. Parts total cost me $300. Up to you really.

leviblue
12-21-2011, 01:14 AM
i'd look at this a few ways...
1st your young, not thats bad but if your asking what kind of "racin' trike" to get . you've been on a bigred anything else? i mean really rode and not for a few minutes in the pits....
2nd take warning a 250r or a T-3 is in no way like a bigred. if you don't know how to ride or are just overconfident they'll bite you in the arse fast and hard. they will also cost you more to maintain if your idiot rider.
3rd think 200X. their plentiful and are a good all-around sports trike... can you jump them?? you bet..... can you race them??? you bet. as far as them being nothing more than a class b machine i tend to argue that point, outdoors yes they'll take a beating..... but indoors it's a riders race and if i remember right didn't a 200x sweep one of the weekends a few years back at summit indoors..... karl i think was the rider.....
it may not be what you want but the 200x is perfect for getting some good training seat time on and not blow alot cash

rodeofan5656
12-21-2011, 02:07 AM
i'd look at this a few ways...
1st your young, not thats bad but if your asking what kind of "racin' trike" to get . you've been on a bigred anything else? i mean really rode and not for a few minutes in the pits....
2nd take warning a 250r or a T-3 is in no way like a bigred. if you don't know how to ride or are just overconfident they'll bite you in the arse fast and hard. they will also cost you more to maintain if your idiot rider.
3rd think 200X. their plentiful and are a good all-around sports trike... can you jump them?? you bet..... can you race them??? you bet. as far as them being nothing more than a class b machine i tend to argue that point, outdoors yes they'll take a beating..... but indoors it's a riders race and if i remember right didn't a 200x sweep one of the weekends a few years back at summit indoors..... karl i think was the rider.....
it may not be what you want but the 200x is perfect for getting some good training seat time on and not blow alot cash

he makes a very good point. one trike will almost always ride and handle different than the next. the only thing with three wheels that i rode before my 200x was some yamaha 225 thing. even the 200x was way different from the yamaha. i pretty much went straight from 4x4 quads to my 200x, and its takin alotta gettin used to. with the little experience i have on these things, id say go for the 200x, then work your way up to a 2stroke or 350x

rodeofan5656
12-21-2011, 02:17 AM
and to add to the 200x stuff, look for an '86 (or even an '87 if you have that kinda luck). the '86-'87s are 6spd instead of 5, theyre supposedly more reliable and better built. when i traded my project truck for the 86 i have now, i test-rode the guys 84 that he restored. for some reason he took really good care of the 84, and the 86 was just his "screw around" bike that he didnt maintain as well :( but i still liked the way the 86 rode more than the 84......... but enuf with my experiences. it all comes down to what YOU want. if you think you have the balls enuf to get a 250r for your first sport trike, let us know how it goes! maybe we'll be wrong and youll ride it great. but its not advisable. check out a 200x first tho..

HuffieVA
12-21-2011, 02:45 AM
When your dealing with 30 year old machines and your on a budget, what is available in your area will be a key part of your choice. With that being said if you find for example a cheap 250R that "runs" by definition and you take it out and beat it to death your going to have problems and it will cost you alot more in the long run to put the thing back together especially if you don't have the means or the tools to do the work yourself. Another question is do you have any dirt bike experience (meaning 2-Stroke race bike) because if you have the idea that a race bred trike is just a sportier looking faster Big Red, your in four a rude and possibly painful awakening, you need to master the art of the clutch (not just being able to take off without stalling) and until then you are either going to be slow or spending alot of time straightening your grab bar. So if you really don't have any 2-Stroke experience I would suggest a 200X it would give you a chance to learn the fundamental of the clutch and provide you with adequate suspension to play around a bit until you get the hang of things and then move up to an R, T or Z it would probably be alot more fun for you and also make you a better rider when you do make the step.

I don't know how old you are or how much experience you have on bikes/trikes (experience defiantly overrides age)... my son started riding (dirt bikes) at 5, he's now 14 and he can ride anything in the garage that he can touch the ground on (Sportster Included) and has even taken a few laps on RM250's and my ATK's (with the help of some milk crates) so don't get me wrong and think I'm saying your not ready, I'm just saying that if your honest with yourself about your ability when you choose your next ride you will enjoy what you choose a lot more...

jsmay
12-21-2011, 09:23 AM
i'd go 200x, 250r's are killer but man 200x's run great. cam/carb/pipe/swap out the sprockets and you'll kick some butt. And you can start out slow(money wise). I have a 200x and its pretty mild built..and it rips!

ATCcountryboy
12-21-2011, 11:57 AM
Ive had dirt bikes before, and I've ridden l lots of other things minibikes, quads ect. Im not going to be hard riding I just wanted something sportier than the big red. Something that I could cruz the trails with and mabey do some small jumps...nothing major.
By the way I'm 14 but I baby my trikes, my dad thinks I'm crazy because I'm attentive to every little detail on my trike.

hillbilly 200x
12-21-2011, 01:03 PM
Ive had dirt bikes before, and I've ridden l lots of other things minibikes, quads ect. Im not going to be hard riding I just wanted something sportier than the big red. Something that I could cruz the trails with and mabey do some small jumps...nothing major.
By the way I'm 14 but I baby my trikes, my dad thinks I'm crazy because I'm attentive to every little detail on my trike.
I am alittle like you. I started off riding a br and then had the same question. trust me start off small with a 200x then in a few years work your way up to a 250 or 350.

TimSr
12-23-2011, 01:05 AM
I like the way the Tri-Zs look but have heard the dont have enough to keep up with the others.

LOL! See you on the track!:lol:

Swinger
12-23-2011, 01:19 AM
Probably wont see much of me! Your a seasoned vet on the track and Im just a rookie on the track but will give it my all. Maybe Ill keep up for a little bit, ha ha!

Tri-Z 250
12-23-2011, 11:14 AM
LOL! See you on the track!:lol:
Now thats funny!
I was just answering in a vague sence...don't think on a track an 85'200X can't finish infront of any of the Big3. I think on the MX track skill and agressiveness along with stamina acount for more of the finish than the bike. I love my 200X it's the ultimate buddy trike....as in any-buddy of mine could ride it and have a blast on...and leave me feeling like I didn't just hand over a loaded gun with a hair trigger aka Tri-ZBigBore. Yes I have battled with all of the fastest trikes and have finished infront of them on the X(in a drag I couldn't beat one of them). I myself was handed a loss of position in NY. This kid was hauling the mail in his frist race on his frist restored 84-85'200X. He just got it running 2weeks prior to the AirMX race. So skill still holds the greatest value in MX...having Big set of kahonies helps alot too. Feathering the clutch and learning to back it into corners will come with seat time. It's just that the Big 2strokes require you to use the motor/slide to accomidate for the speed and (poor) handeling....POOR if you are familiar to 2 or 4 wheels.

86R
12-24-2011, 02:42 AM
Personally I'd buy the fastest thing your budget affords and take it easy till you learn to ride it. Only because you'll always want to go faster no point in dickin around and wastin cash.

badass350x
12-29-2011, 12:29 AM
Personally I'd buy the fastest thing your budget affords and take it easy till you learn to ride it. Only because you'll always want to go faster no point in dickin around and wastin cash.

Now that has always been my style!! BUT thats Just Me!!

Yordo02206
12-29-2011, 12:35 AM
stock tri z's beat banshees

rockinrod80
01-08-2012, 07:42 PM
I prefer honda or yamaha, as long as its a pinger

250r_doverdemon
01-08-2012, 08:09 PM
man im 15 and i ride a 350x which im doing a 600 swap right now actually but ive had a big bike before so its a bit different.. growing up id cruise on my uncles 400ex and my cousins banshee then when my 250 fourtrax wasnt cuttin it i bought myself a 660 raptor.. wanna talk bout power? thats it right there! thing was crazy but i learnt how to respect the power and still use all of it, no one round here could beat me on it cept a good buddy with bout 10 000 in his banshee.. but moral of the story if you think you can handle it go for it but a 200x sounds perfect for what you wanna do.. if you hunt fish and do anything like that maybe even a 250sx would be right for you? sportier could take lil jumps but would still haul great like your big read so pulling a deer outta the bush would be no big deal

sgtpetrol
01-10-2012, 05:59 PM
i recommend the honda 200x its got what you need for sport riding i love mine its a wheelie machine but only when you want it to be. so i would go with a 200x they are cheap to find and run good, i would go with the 200x and if you feel ready for more then move up to a 350x and if you can handle that and want more its your choice but the 200x is good for trails and jumping i love the way mine handles

yukon
01-14-2012, 10:12 PM
the 86 tecate is awfully fast,but the 85-86 honda 250r handle slightly better.I had a few Tri-z 250's and they are quick and fun but don't handle as well as the other 2

snap911
01-15-2012, 04:51 PM
250r because you will never have trouble finding parts.

Ratrod200s
01-16-2012, 12:38 AM
200s, reliable, torque, speed, 4 stroke, automatic clutch, easy to get parts

200xman123
01-18-2012, 06:04 PM
i myself love the 200x 85 version its light so you can through it around and has full suspention with a dg pipe its a pretty peppy little bike for pretty cheap

200xman123
01-18-2012, 10:09 PM
go with the 200x!