PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Gear atc250

another owner
12-19-2011, 05:07 AM
Hi everyone, I have done a search and found the problem why my ATC won't go into reverse. I need the cable and handle bar lever, From what I see in a picture in a "Honda Big Red Help" topic and on post #6 jeswinehart has put up a photo of the Reverse gear Handle bar lever and I see there's a button there as well. And from what I understand the 85-87 ATC250ES/SX/Big red has the same components and reverse cable will be all the same length as well.

My ATC does not have anything for it to get into reverse, It does on the lower right rear part of the engine have A funny looking contraption that looks like A seat for that cable. Does anyone have better photos of that area and a description on where and how to route the cable.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=130511&d=1314145005
Also before i decide to try buy one second hand, What parts am I wanting to ask for so I have a complete reverse cable, lever, Purch system.
When buying parts off someone who's wrecking A bike we all know part numbers aren't recognized by them.

If this at all makes sense then awesome, If it doesn't I can try describe what im trying to say even more.

Cheers, Shanon.

250sxatc
12-20-2011, 06:37 PM
ive always just raised the litle arm (on the right side of the motor by trailprotrailpro brake pedal) and stuck sumthing under it then its just gear down from neutral just make sure u dont get exceted and down shift throgh the gears into rev befor trailprotrailpro complettly stoped. my buddy did this on my sx and it blew a hole throgh the case:cry: not cool. apart from that as far as it hurting the motor ive done it on a few of mine been runin the sx like that for two years now no probs. im sure sumone will let u/me know if this hurts anything but i dont thinkl so. aslo not sure exactly where to route the cable ones u have it ul see the lenght of it and it should clue in. i could get u pics of the hole setup and route if u need it:beer

another owner
12-21-2011, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the reply, I too was thinking of having it up but I'm not keen on selecting past neutral into reverse on the go. I thought of an idea involving a random leaver on the handlebar and rigging up a cable to that bottom lever by the rear brake pedal. I'm sure not raving a reverse is a big deal, Never is for my KX and my buggy.

250sxatc
12-21-2011, 06:18 PM
ive read on hear that a xr decomrpesion lever is a direct fit do a search

mlasal31
12-29-2011, 06:57 PM
Its just like a brake cable. You pull the lever and it is able to go into reverse. Honda should sell the cable. It hooks up down behind the foot brake. You need the specific cable, but any brake handle and handlebar clamp should work

atc500x
12-29-2011, 07:08 PM
ive read on hear that a xr decomrpesion lever is a direct fit do a search

Yes it fit,it's what I installed on my sx since I don't use the rear hand brake