PDA

View Full Version : the year was 1988

lartrike
12-21-2011, 05:51 PM
the year was 1988. i was a young 14 yr old with dreams.... haha i was 14 when i first wanted and dreamed about an atc. my friend had a 250r his father had
gotten him. i was trying to talk my parents into lending me $400 for a friends 110 he was done with. so i finally talked my mom ino driving the 1.5 hrs up north to look at the 110. it didnt help when we got there, during winter with snow on the ground, that the seller was riding it around like a maniac. that was another hurdle i didnt need in talking my parents into a $400 loan. few days later there was a not so great show on Dateline or somethin like that. it was how dangerous atc's are and the call for them to no longer be produced. that killed it for me. i was not happy any never forgot what i didnt get. and its not like i was shootin for the equivalent of a lamo or anything that expensive. it was $400 bucks, geezzz. i think i made $30 a week cutting lawns lmao.
flash foward 22 years later. i still remember that day as if it was last year. during our great economic times, between surgurys from work accidents and being laid
off for over 2 years now, i actually had a chance to get the trike i didnt get 2 decades prior. well not the same one, but maybe even better. i ran into an old
friend who was selling a ytm225 dr for $300. he even let me go on a payment plan.seems for a long time i forgot about the simple things. betwen mortgage payments i used to be able to make, dirt bike after dirt bike, jet ski after jet ski, and street bike after street bike, i would once in a while reflect on the atc i never got.
wow, so dangerous they where....while i was doin 170 on a gsxr 1000, wheelies on the parkway at over 100......yeah real dangerous. well i have had a habit of gettinh things i wasnt allowed to get in the past many years later and this was the last thing of signifigance, the trike. now that i have the 225 i want more and more. i want a few 3 wheelers. so over time i am hoping to get them. thats what happened and thats why i am here. great site, i like it alot! after i got it i called my mother and reminded her of the time my heart was broken in 88, she laughed and said i was crazy. dam rite!!! , lar

Jon Boy
12-21-2011, 06:50 PM
welcome to the site. tons of info to be found and plenty of helpful people if you have trouble or can't find something. :beer
BTW, i feel i should warn you to watch out for the little ones they can get under your skin before you even realize it. it seems like the 70sickness has been going around alot here lately. :lol: :beer

JasonB
12-21-2011, 07:22 PM
welcome! Your story is similar to alot of people on this site; I started out wanting my neighbors' two 70's they were selling for 50$ each. At 12 years old they would have still be perfect to ride!!! My brother and I werent even allowed to be ON the neighbors atv's, let alone own anything besides the go carts we had. Mom and dad wanted nothing to do with dangerous stuff like atv's! Fast forward 10 years and I was buying my own dirtbike on my 21st bday and my brother was weeks from buying a mint 200S that started the trike craze for us. Now he has an R1 and a mountain of trikes and I have my own growing collection lol

parents need to be a little less over protective damn it!

lartrike
12-21-2011, 08:05 PM
haha your rite man , we all have a story about our first 3 wheelers...

Vealmonkey
12-23-2011, 08:10 PM
You from Jersey? What exit? LOL Yes, you've come to the wrong place. LOL $300 for a trike, that's a pretty good price. Hope the trike is everything you want. Just wait till you start spending $2000 plus for a trike or for a refit and refinish. Good times waiting ahead for you. Welcome, have fun, wear a helmet.

lartrike
12-24-2011, 12:57 AM
yeah man the ytm is cool for a 1st trike but im really itching to get one with an actual clutch lol. im exit 74, where do u ride? i see u have 2 tigers, bad azz!!! ya have any pics of any of trailprotrailpro trikes on this site?