PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Honda 200X Help

ATC#22
12-21-2011, 10:22 PM
Ok so here is the problem.... over the summer I purchased a Honda 200X and while for the most part is seems mechanically sound, I remembered the owner saying that the spark plug was very old. Now I am a teenager, however am not the stereotypical one. I take very good care of my belongings and love old things, trikes especially. Well I had changed the plug with the manual recommended stock NGK plug and all was good. I noticed that after I changed the oil over the summer, it started to smoke when it starts up (probably because the guy ran 5w-30 in it for years and I changed it with 10w-40), but after 5 mins or so it stops. Now to the problem, I decided because of this to see how the plug looked so I took it out and put it back in. Unfortunately I must have accidentally overtightened the plug because it broke off into the head sticking into the thread of the plug hole. The ceramic part isn't broken in it but the rest is and now my question is should I use a square ended easy out bolt extractor to try and remove it? Or just take it to the shop? I would say I know more than the average person about engines but have no actual experience. I can change oil, and spark plugs, and brake fluid, the basics. However am afraid to break anything else in the engine by removing the head. I am afraid of the thread being stripped (I really hope not) and don't know what to do. It needs a new exhaust and tires because those are both long gone so I figured to have the shop look at it, but am wondering what it will cost. I am so mad I did this and any help or opinions would be appreciated thanks.

JJMF1979
12-21-2011, 10:34 PM
Wow you must have really tightened it for it to snap....as for your question i have no idea because i have never done that.....but if it was me and i could grab it with something and turn it out slowly ang gently i would and save money but that is just me....you have the best knowledge of the situation and what you feel comfortable with doing so go with your gut

ATC#22
12-21-2011, 10:40 PM
Thanks, I might just have a neighbor look, or try myself at it, otherwise it'll wait till spring until the shop can look at it.

Tippmann98
12-21-2011, 11:11 PM
The best way to learn is to do it yourself. If you can get vise grips on it I would think you could get it backed out.

JJMF1979
12-22-2011, 12:00 AM
thats exactly what i was thinking i would do

ytm200steve
12-22-2011, 12:29 AM
vice grips agreed :beer

Swinger
12-22-2011, 02:45 AM
When stuff like this happens to me I mess with it for a bit and try not to get frustrated and after that dont work Ill swear at it until Im really ticked off and walk away before I break something major. Then come back after I thought about it for a bit and cool off so I can see what went wrong and ask myself why Im such an idiot sometimes!:lol: Sounds to me like you may have cross threaded it and will be tough to get out. Try vise grips and if that dont work download a manual and remove the head and try it from that side. If it is cross threaded you will have to fix that up also. Good luck!

ATC#22
12-22-2011, 02:59 AM
Yea I felt really stupid but I hand threaded it in before I tightened it because I read about cross threading it so I just think its super tight thanks everyone for the input!!

tri again
12-22-2011, 05:30 AM
Yea I felt really stupid but I hand threaded it in before I tightened it because I read about cross threading it so I just think its super tight thanks everyone for the input!!

Hey there.

Don't beat yourself up. There are many lessons ahead of all of us.
My fallback position is thank god no one got hurt, no matter how bad something seems to be.

You still got yer fingers and you didn't get sprayed in the eyes with carb cleaner.

Be glad you hand threaded it in. Great thinking.
Anyway, I have trouble picturing what broke off.
You say the ceramic insulator is still there but ?
The part of the plug that the wrench fits broke off?
so the only thing you see is the threaded part of the plug in the head?

They seat or tighten against the nut looking part so it may come out real easy.
Who knows, it may have been crossthreaded a little over the last 25 years and is just a little
stubborn.

Funny story.
I had no plug wrench so I just put it in hand tight.
(lawnmower)
anyway, mowed for about an hour and ka POW!
that plug had walked itself out until the very last thread and then fell out
but it ran perfectly until the plug blew out.

jsmay
12-22-2011, 09:14 AM
yeah, hard to see what your workin with... anyway you can load a photo? but below the hex head is a metal collar... I say try the vise grips. Do you know any one in your area that could lend a hand( so your not paying)? Also for your other needs, tires and exhaust... scrounge craigslist in your area. pretty much any honda atv rims/tires will bolt on the back. you'd be surpised how cheap you can get stuff for, just takes a little time hunting. good luck and be patient. And no matter what happens, it can be fixed.

cparsons
12-22-2011, 10:12 AM
my lttle brother done the exact same thing on a 200s we got it out with a easy out. It wasnt that bad good luck

ATC#22
12-22-2011, 09:44 PM
Thanks guys for all the input I just bought the squared easy out 5 piece set from the auto shop and will have to try that. I also sprayed WD-40 inside to help relax it a bit. As for the pictures here is the broken plug, what I plan to use, and the broken plug inside the head....

ATC#22
12-23-2011, 07:59 PM
I want to personally thank all of you who took their time and stated their opinion to help me out. I got it out after using a #4 square edge easy out bolt extractor. This is the aftermath of the surgery....

This little rascal caused so much trouble....