PDA

View Full Version : 1980 honda 185 atc weak spark

3wheeler80
12-22-2011, 11:09 PM
okay i got my honda about 2 weeks ago. the guy was running 2 stroke mix in it, so i draind that and took the carb apart to clean . all in all i bought a new carb and throttle. when i pull start it, it flickers a tiny blue and white spark(normal just small) i do not have the pull start assyembly on it as of im fixing it lol. so ive been pulling it with a rope. i was thinking maybe its not turning over good to get a good spark because im pulling it with a rope? i have put a new spark plug in it didnt help. i can roll start it and kick it in 2nd gear and it will fire right up everytime and ride all day. but after i start it ever since i put new carb on i cant give it full throttle at a idle(boggs out) when in gear i can. i am experienced quite a bit in the 3wheelers and just about anything with a motor but im not sure on this. before the pull rope broke it did fire up first pull but only ran for like 30sec(old carb and mix gas) so im really hoping its just cuz i dont have the pull rope on? bike is in descent condition. still has head light fenders and even the decals on tank. anything helpful would be nice thank you

tri again
12-22-2011, 11:37 PM
okay i got my honda about 2 weeks ago. the guy was running 2 stroke mix in it, so i draind that and took the carb apart to clean . all in all i bought a new carb and throttle. when i pull start it, it flickers a tiny blue and white spark(normal just small) i do not have the pull start assyembly on it as of im fixing it lol. so ive been pulling it with a rope. i was thinking maybe its not turning over good to get a good spark because im pulling it with a rope? i have put a new spark plug in it didnt help. i can roll start it and kick it in 2nd gear and it will fire right up everytime and ride all day. but after i start it ever since i put new carb on i cant give it full throttle at a idle(boggs out) when in gear i can. i am experienced quite a bit in the 3wheelers and just about anything with a motor but im not sure on this. before the pull rope broke it did fire up first pull but only ran for like 30sec(old carb and mix gas) so im really hoping its just cuz i dont have the pull rope on? bike is in descent condition. still has head light fenders and even the decals on tank. anything helpful would be nice thank you

Interesting, and welcome btw

It started ok with the old carb and a pull start that worked?
It probably IS spinning faster when you jump start it.

If it was mine, I'd probably try to get the pull starter fixed, but use rope that is designed for
a motorcycle. Lawnmower ropes don't last very long.

It's so much easier to check for spark that way.
There are quite a few suggestions about weak spark and if your search key works,
it would get you some good stories.

Generally,wiring grounds are a hot topic. Where the coil mounts should be clean
and some folks have had surprising luck cutting a tiny bit off the end of the coil wire.
so the cap has some fresh wire to bite into.

I gotta run but see if the search key works.

3wheeler80
12-23-2011, 12:19 AM
well it did start but like i didnt have the pull rope on long and the carb i took off as soon as i got it. but im getting the pull rope done tomorrow and i think the rope is just not turniong it over fast enough

3wheeler80
12-28-2011, 02:51 AM
ended up being the pull rope. thank god lol. starts right up now. another quick question though and it has good power but i use to own a 1981 185s(slightly smaller and weigh less) and it had a lot more power then this one. this one has good power and dont leak or use any oil but it has a after market exhaust harley slip on. and i was thinking maybe its getting to much back preasure and losing power???