PDA

View Full Version : New chain saw opinions wanted!

fabiodriven
12-23-2011, 09:28 PM
So I just bought a brand new Husky 576 XP with a 28" bar. I haven't so much as pulled the pull start yet, it's untouched so there is an outside chance I can bring this back. A person who knows just about everything there is to know about chain saws (jeffatc250r) told me I could have done better for the money with a Stihl. The problem is my last saw was a Stihl and I swore I wouldn't buy a Stihl again.

My Stihl was too small for me from the get-go, but I bought it new and it ran for 5+ solid years fairly well. It did the job, but I wasn't really fond of it.

What's the general consensus? Where I haven't even started it yet I may be able to swap it if they're feeling generous that day. They don't have to take it back.

I did some googling really quick and saw nothing but good reviews.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/340525_2824115242945_1260904462_33071298_163112049 7_o.jpg

Orangecnty250r
12-23-2011, 09:45 PM
I bought the box store (lowes) husq 455 rancher ....used it 2 seasons and have been very happy. Mine is for my property management. I am sure the guys that use them for commercial use wouldnt find my happiness.

hoosierlogger
12-23-2011, 09:48 PM
Huskys are notoriously way better in the vibration dampening system. They use springs where Stihl uses rubber mounts. The rubber mounts are stronger, but are harder on your hands at the end of a long day.

The other thing I like about the Huskies are the ergonomics of the handle bars. I have nothing against owning a Husky, but for me we have a Stihl certified tech at work. He stocks any parts we might need in a cabinet at the shop. If I had a Husky I would have to drive 45 miles to order parts.

You did good on the bar size, with that longer bar you dont have to bend over near as far to cut firewood.

RIDE-RED 250r
12-23-2011, 10:01 PM
Well Fab, I currently own a 346xp, 357xp and 372xpw. The 372 is the full wrap handle version and sports a 75cc engine rather than the 71cc engine of the standard 372xp. I remember hearing ALOT of bad things about the 575xp, (predecessor to the 576xp you have), so that's why I went to the 372xpw. But, I have heard that the 576xp addressed those problems and has done well in real world markets.

I'm not a logger, but usually find myself processing upwards of 70 cord of firewood for myself and family each year. Some of it is log loads that have same rather large, tough wood to block, on the larger end of the spectrum pushing 30" in diameter. That 372xpw with a 24", round ground chisel, full skip does a spectacular job for me with that bigger stuff. The rest of the time, I fell my own trees and sometimes get into larger ash, hickory and maple. Now, I don't usually grab the big saw unless the job warrants it. Most times, my 357xp with it's 20" bar is quite capable for what I'm doing. Being that you are already looking at 70+cc saws, I won't even get into the 346xp other than to say I have never run a faster saw on wood 8" and under.

All in all, I have been utterly pleased with all 3 of my pro-grade Husqvarnas. I have owned the 357xp since 2006, 372xpw since '08, and just got the 346xp in mid '09. All have served me flawlessly and reliably. No complaints whatsoever.

Now, I haven't really run too many Stihl saws, therefore I have nothing to say about them, good or bad. I'm sure they make a fine saw as well otherwise they wouldn't be as popular and successful as they are. My local saw shop deals in Husqvarna AND Stihl. When I initially decided on my first pro-grade saw I was comparing the Husky 357xp to a comparable Stihl. It really came down to ergonomics and feel to me. I find the swept back handles and slim body of the Husky more comfortable to use. The Stihl kinda felt like a basketball with handles to me. But this is just my personal opinion and taste.

If you like your 576xp, I would stick with it. If you really want to send it back I would consider a 372xpw. I'm not really sure if you will get a better saw for the money with a Stihl. Look carefully at features and construction. For example, most non pro grade Huskys have plastic crankcases/oil tanks rather than the magnesium found on all XP's. Other things like adjustable oiler are important to me as well. Just make sure that "better" saw for the money isn't lacking in features found on the saw you have. You know the old saying about getting what you pay for.....

Hope this has been of some help....Cheers!

daledozer
12-23-2011, 10:03 PM
I have always used stihls and love them. We bought a couple husqvarnas at work and I did not care the chain brake and tension adjustment on them. You might want to take a look for yourself at the way you pull the side cover off to access the chain, I do not care for it myself.

RIDE-RED 250r
12-23-2011, 10:06 PM
I have always used stihls and love them. We bought a couple husqvarnas at work and I did not care the chain brake and tension adjustment on them. You might want to take a look for yourself at the way you pull the side cover off to access the chain, I do not care for it myself.

Are you talking about pulling the cover to access the chain for replacement? Or something else????

fabiodriven
12-23-2011, 10:10 PM
Wow, thanks guys.

When I finally narrowed it down to two saws, it came to the 372 or the 576. They are very similar in size, displacement, and horse power. When it came down to it they were almost exactly the same price. The 576 probably had a slight horse power or displacement advantage which is why I went with it. I'm not concerned with weight because I don't use the saw every day.

An adjustable oiler was a must for my new saw. My Stihl's oiler isn't adjustable and that thing kills chains.

fabiodriven
12-23-2011, 10:12 PM
You might want to take a look for yourself at the way you pull the side cover off to access the chain, I do not care for it myself.

I saw it with the cover off. The salesman installed the bar and chain in front of me. It looked very similar to my Stihl actually. I never had issues with the bar adjustment mechanism on my Stihl. If you're implying you have to take the cover off to tighten the chain, that is not true.

hoosierlogger
12-23-2011, 10:13 PM
Send me your address in a PM and Ill send you a skip tooth chain. I use square files, but you can use your grinder on it and it will work just fine.

fabiodriven
12-23-2011, 10:15 PM
Wow, seriously? Thanks man!

hoosierlogger
12-23-2011, 10:17 PM
Yup. I buy chain in 100' rolls and spin my own up. Ive got 300' in the garage. Sort of like a roll your own cig. Its alot cheaper.

dcreel
12-23-2011, 10:57 PM
455 Husky Rancher here, and love it. Haven't come across anything it won't cut.. Including a few 3 foot trees at the base..

daledozer
12-23-2011, 11:52 PM
I saw it with the cover off. The salesman installed the bar and chain in front of me. It looked very similar to my Stihl actually. I never had issues with the bar adjustment mechanism on my Stihl. If you're implying you have to take the cover off to tighten the chain, that is not true.

I had problems putting the cover back on is what I'm trying to say I guess. The brake inside the hub on the models we have had to line up perfect and was not always easy to do, maybe I'm not doing it right.

RIDE-RED 250r
12-24-2011, 12:07 AM
I had problems putting the cover back on is what I'm trying to say I guess. The brake inside the hub on the models we have had to line up perfect and was not always easy to do, maybe I'm not doing it right.

I'm fairly certain the chain brake is a band brake that wraps around the outer clutch drum on all saws equipped with a chain brake no matter the brand. They can be persnickety to get the side cover back on of the cover/brake area is packed with oil soaked saw dust. Also, make sure you didn't accidentally activate the brake when the side cover was off. That'll make putting it back on a pain too..

bkm
12-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Sweet saw Fabio. I used to work for a Parks & Rec. department in a small city close to me. We had three saws and two were Husky's and I loved them. I just bought a used saw and tried to find a Husky, but there were none worth buying on craigslist close to me, so I ended up with a old 028 Super Wood Boss. Its a good saw but I would of loved to find a Husky.

atc007
12-24-2011, 03:00 PM
I grew up with Homelite XL's,,don't laugh too hard. With a sharp chain they are ok. Switched To Stihl,026,028, and a new PRO,47? I honestly don't even remember.. I switched to coal. But,I have always wanted to switch to Husky. My 2 pennies. My problems with Stihls were carburation. I wouldn't go against Jeff! But I wanna try a Husky.. And you've got a nice shiny mew one there to do so : )

just ben
12-24-2011, 08:32 PM
I like my dolmar. Its only a 64cc with a 20" (will take a 32)bar but has plenty of power and is very reliable. even after months of sitting it starts right up

4cylinders
12-24-2011, 09:10 PM
hey, your stihl is a consumer saw, not their best.
low hp crappy chain. pro saws are much better.
do some more investigating before you buy that big of a saw.

jason85atc250r
12-24-2011, 09:42 PM

what model number is the stihl? They make home owner grade stihl's like he said. when i worked for a tree service guy years ago we had a cheap 021 stihl for trimming stuff on the groung before the chipper i blew it up after a year being used every day. His 020t/ms200 climbing saws last for years with no problems

jays375
12-24-2011, 09:48 PM
Like stated before a Husky is a very comfortable saw to run.Plus you could sit it down and let it idle as long as you want.Seems like a Stihl aways tips over and moves away,or quits.With a Stihl odd number is home owner grade.Were even is professional grade.If you are going to use any saw alot professional grade is the way to go.One question why such a big saw and bar?Both brand saws are good.Seems like Stihl has a little power.Of course it depends on who tunes it.

fabiodriven
12-25-2011, 12:07 PM
My Stihl is an MS250. I believe it is homeowner grade, which is not enough for me. I cut and split a lot of wood every year, that's my main source of heat.

Why such a big saw? Because I cut some big wood!

hoosierlogger
12-25-2011, 12:20 PM

You should always get the biggest saw you can afford. If you think you are going to regret buying a saw get the next bigger size. Saws arent link blue jeans, you cant take them back because you bought the wrong size. You are stuck with it, unless you want to sell it as used and take a hit on it.

ezmoney1979
12-25-2011, 01:08 PM
You should always get the biggest saw you can afford. If you think you are going to regret buying a saw get the next bigger size. Saws arent link blue jeans, you cant take them back because you bought the wrong size. You are stuck with it, unless you want to sell it as used and take a hit on it.
Also I would like to add to this- The larger professional grade saws hold their value very well, there is always a "pro" out there that will buy a nice used unit for a back-up. And also, like you stated earlier but I cant emphasize enough- Get a good sized power-head so you can run a long bar and not lean over!! :beer

fabiodriven
12-25-2011, 02:17 PM
There were many occasions where my old saw was too small. I can't picture where my new one would be too big. If I want to I can always get a smaller bar.

RIDE-RED 250r
12-25-2011, 08:41 PM
Well Fab, my 372 being about the same size as your 576, I have a 24" bar on it and love it. Seems a good balance of length for bigger stuff, and not eating up too much of the saws power. But I'm sure the 28" bar wouldn't slow your saw or mine down by any real noticeable degree.....

brapp
12-28-2011, 01:23 PM
i love my stih;s and huskys, i have 2 575xp's a 385 xp, 5 3 72 xp's, a echo 3400 climbing saw, am pair of stihl 025's, and a couple of older pioneer partnet p 42's and i love my 372 xp's the best. i woudl actualy be willign to sell or trade the pair of 575xp's for a good price.

SMOKINMO
12-28-2011, 09:48 PM
Hey guys i work for a small chain of independent CARQUEST AUTO PART STORES and also DO IT BEST HARDWARE STORE and i sell both stihl and husqvarna. Lmk if you want any info or pricing.

jason85atc250r
12-30-2011, 09:16 PM
Fabio a 20" wouild be a good idea for the smaller stuff in my humble opinion. Won't bog it down as much.

I bent the 24" bar on my stihl 044 and put a 16" one on it you could hardly bog it down. Felt like i was on the timbersport shows. LOL