PDA

View Full Version : 1985 lean problem?

Honda200x.
12-24-2011, 12:12 AM
I bought a 1985 Honda 200x with a high compression piston, a cobra full exhaust, and a moose racing air filter, the thing runs really well. but i pulled the plug when i got it and it was white on the thing that goes over the electrode, the electrode was a good brown but only about 3/4 of the plug had color 1/4 looked like it wasn't getting hit by carbon or whatever makes it brown, so i bought some jets to try and richen up, i bought a #115 #118,stock for an 85 is a #108 and the guy said he put a bigger jet in and it did have a #110, but the problem is i put the #115 in and it seemed to be way better, but could use a little more, so i put the #118 in it and it seemed to get leaner and the thing that goes over the electrode got whiter and it ran worse than with the #115 so i'm confused should i put the #115 back in and raise the needle one notch?

Honda200x.
12-24-2011, 02:16 PM
Anyone have any ideas?

Craig B.
12-24-2011, 03:47 PM
I'm no expert, but you may have some other problem. May need some more info to help out. Has it been colder out since you have jetted it up? It should be getting richer. Make sure you have good fuel flow. How does it run? Air leaks can make a bike run lean also.

tri again
12-24-2011, 05:04 PM
It's sad that there IS no chart for jetting aftermarket stuff that I know of.
The muff manufacturers should suggest jets for different engines since THEY know
the flow characteristics of their mufflers.

If you happen across someone with the exact specs, engine, compression, muff model,
air filter etc you'd be ahead of the game for sure.

Any luck with the search key?