PDA

View Full Version : yamaha 225 dx not starting?? what could it be

nov22jc
12-25-2011, 12:58 AM
whats up guys.. so i tried to start my trike which hasnt been riddin in years and was unsuccessful.. i cleaned out the carb, filled it up with gas and still nothing..it seems like the trike wants to turn on when i pullstart it or simply try with the button. im not too familiar with trikes so any help would be great. thanks btw i have a 1986 yamaha trimoto 225dx thanks everyone!

ytm200steve
12-25-2011, 01:36 AM
pull the gas line and mak sure gas is flowing out of tank maybe clogged from sitting check to see if it has spark and if it dosent or it is weak remove coil and clean off coil pack grounds alslo clean your air-filter and put a new plug in see if that helps goodluck and merry christmas

muthey
12-27-2011, 02:51 AM
there is also a trick of trimming a 1/8" off the coil to spark plug wire where the cap screws on, and you might want to change the oil as well. Also take out the air filter and clean it with soapy water and lightly re oil it with 10-30w motor oil, and while you have it out maybe run a stretched out clothes hanger through the intake tube to check for mice nests. Incase you are wondering the air filter is in the black box with four screws holding the cover on under the rear fenders. Also the oil drain plug is below the recoil starter, and on the other side there is a circular cap with three hex bolt holding it down cover to the oil filter might want to check that out as well.

Grindin' Gearz
12-27-2011, 03:14 AM
Well, I don't have much else to add that these guys didn't already cover besides trying a lil bit of starting fluid, I was gonna add that my Yamahas are quite the pain to get going in the cold, but being in Cali I doubt its that cold, lol. When you cleaned out the carb, did you take out the jets and thoroughly clean all those little holes? (A safety pin works great) Also check to make sure there is flow from the tank to the float needle, a tiny grain of sand or dirt will bug those up in a heartbeat. Id do an oil change, plug change and add some fresh gas with a fuel treatment (to remove any moisture) just for good measure. Good luck and happy riding!