PDA

View Full Version : 84 ATC 250 R Carb trouble please help

Kazi84R
12-25-2011, 01:29 PM
Hello my name is Chris I bought an 84 r got it running but the nedle in the carb that you put the grove in when you hook up the throtle was broke." Not sure the name of part sorry i am a newb"So my boss drilled it out and put o pop rivit in the side of the carb worked for a bit. then the throtle went wide open i tried up shifting turning it off And it wouldn't start agian. So I bought a 30 mm round slide carb of bike bandit and it dosen't wanna fit into the air box boot. now my trike still not starting........... give you jet numbers and ect Air jet 2.0 Needle: 6F5 Main jet:250 Manufacturer : mikuni Needle Jet P-5 PilotJet:40 Spigot Mount 40 mm Throtle Valve 2.5 Any ideas comment will be apprecciated and sorry for spelling typing in advanced. Heading to shop now to look at it thanks

Kazi84R
12-25-2011, 03:44 PM
Ok update When I goot to the shop it was leaking gast out overflow tube few carb ajustments cleaned plug I got it to fire but agian...... Full throttle and now after more adjustments still not firing Any one with ideas is the jetting right???? Any one know what the stock adjust ment for this machine and carb might be? this 250r Is stock Merry Christmas

ezmoney1979
12-25-2011, 04:13 PM
Did I just read that your boss used a rivet for a jet needle? I hope you guys don't do anything too technical for work. Go get yourself a new 36mm PWK and be done with it.

MTS
12-25-2011, 05:11 PM
so did this new carb come with a new slide assembly jet needle assembly? from what i gather you put a pop rivit in the old carb where the idle adjustment screw went. sounds like your new carb the slide is in backwards and the idle screw is not sitting on the notch in the slide, or your throttle cable or jet needle isent seated correctly, a picture or a numberd diagram of the carb would better help explain to us what parts you are talking about. so we can get this sorted out. there is a good thred in world class help about the basic operations and adjustments of a carb called jetting 101 , read throgh it and get back to us.

Kazi84R
12-25-2011, 05:58 PM
I thank you for the replys In side the stock carb was a plastic tit where the throtle slide went to it was shered off I was not at shop when the the rivit top was put in I got a mikuni round slide vm series30 mm carb of bike bandit. Yes it came with new everything. I also replaced the cable. its got a 230 main jet is what my paper work say's don't know if that means anything. I will read the 101 get some pics and a lil more info for my next post now trike is in truck mobile with me I' ll keep tinkering with it just seems like its getting flooded the over flow tube leaks gas and when it did start it was at full throttle another thing my throtle lever don't move as far as it used too

MTS
12-25-2011, 11:50 PM
ahhh, sounds like your new throttle cable is too short and holding the slid.e/ jet needle to high up and off the idle adjustment screw. take a look through the air box side of the carb and see if the slide is sitting near flush with the bottom of the carb body should be able to make it go up or down with the idle adjust screw, if not unhook the throttle cable and see how it looks/ runs. otherwise its onto float height, needle seat condition, or possibly a few other things

Kazi84R
12-26-2011, 03:36 PM
MTS I thank you so much.. "Firm Hand Shake!!!" Cable was short lil tweeking I got her started.. Now next problem... When I Hit throtle as its idle it revs fine when I put her in gear and start off it bogs down bad little fluttering of the throtle I can get her reved and She goes like hell hit all the gears No problem.Just starting out it falls on its face. Seems almost like its getting flooded. Other carb When it was working.. starting out it Ripped as normal as can be Like I stated before This mikuni has A 250 Main jet. Kelin had a 136 or 138 I am going to look at jettin 101 now Thanks

Kazi84R
01-09-2012, 07:49 PM
So I read alot about jetting. I spent days trying to adjust and no luck. So I take it to honda dealer. They called said it was ready still bogs real bad with the mikuni carb they went down 3 piolit jets and he said he was afraid to go leaner......... So problom remains the same I want to post pics but have not cleaned her she has been muddy and at the shop. he said main jet is 240 piolit is 37.5. I really hope one of you super cool kids get back to me.
I appreciate the help.

STiForester
01-10-2012, 01:13 AM
do a plug chop and let us know what you get..... check out plug chopping for 2 strokes if you dont know how.... make sure there is about 3mm of throttle play so your slide seats... at idle your pilot jet comes into play... 1/4 throttle and up is your main jet... diagnose at what point your having boggin issues and do plug chops and get back to us... ill try my best to help you... if your running a stock exhaust and intake and reeds.... than stay all stock jetting... hmmm well have to get ya rolling

Kazi84R
01-14-2012, 07:05 PM
Well got it back from honda agian. This time he said he went way up in pilot. One ride around woods in snow than down road and it siezed. Is it possible they jetted it too rich?? I mean crap nothing but problems since I took it there the first time. Or mabey becuse the mikuni is the problem. Heck I don't know what happened compression was good than got it back from them. Now a big problem can I be so unlucky? As to it just happened and it was its time or did they mabey help it along. I took it back they said if it is too do with jetting than they will help me out. But how do i tell if it was or not? if it was jetteing would it still kick?

ouate1to
01-26-2012, 07:11 PM
i have a 84 250r and when i rebuilt the carb all the research i did said stock is a 130 main jet