PDA

View Full Version : 125m pull starter

B Short
12-25-2011, 02:09 PM
I am working on a 125m rope starter,previous owner disassembled completely, I have a Clymer manual on it. Anybody have shortcuts or tips on reassembly? I'm not having much luck following the Clymer procedure. Any thoughts would be appreciated. B Short:

muthey
12-25-2011, 10:39 PM
does it have the plastic drum or the metal drum, as they are different, either or I can send you pictures of reassembly if you want

B Short
12-26-2011, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the reply,Muthey I know how it goes together I was wondering if you had any ideas on handling the spring. The inside pulley is plastic the outside housing is metal. I thought there might be a trick to wrapping the spring to get it in the housing? The photos on reassembly might help if its not too much trouble. Thanks again B Short

muthey
12-27-2011, 02:43 AM
Ok I will get some pictures up for you hopefully tomorrow. I wrap the spring by kneeling on my porch and having the case on the porch as well. I hook the spring to the lip and turn the case house while feeding the spring into it. took me 2 hours of cussing and throwing things till I figured this way out. Now it takes me about 5 min to put one in.

B Short
12-27-2011, 01:26 PM
Muthey, That is exactly what I needed to know,you are a gentleman and a scholar and there are damn few of us left. I really appreciate the info. B Short

muthey
12-28-2011, 10:31 PM
OK I did one better for you I shot a video and am posting it to you tube, if need be I can have my wife take pictures tomorrow for me, but the video is 3:23 seconds long and it takes less than that to put it in. Hopefully this helps alot of new members with popped springs.

muthey
12-28-2011, 11:02 PM
OK I was wrong it is 3:11 sec long and win 7 really messes with my web cam for lag so the audio is way out of whack and it stutters a bit here and there, but it will show how to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcTwosOyng4&feature=youtu.be
My wife is going to kill me for the dirt spot I just put in the carpet lol

B Short
12-29-2011, 05:55 PM
I knew it wasn't difficult if you knew how,I know it's not as easy as it looks,but that is a really good video.
Many thanks Muthey,B Short

muthey
12-29-2011, 10:21 PM
your welcome B just remember to check the tab that the outer part of the spring hooks to, when I pulled the spring out and tried to put it back the first time before filming it wouldn't stay, until I looked at it and saw it was bent outwards slightly. A good pair of pliers and light pressure and you can bend it straight again, just don't get to carried away. Or you will need a new shell, Yes you could probably hook it to where the metal broke off but I wonder if it needs to be in that exact spot as all were made with it there for the honda's. I have never had to try myself so, good luck and hope you get yours done up and ready to ride soon.