PDA

View Full Version : Need help!!! 200x swing arm removal

JJMF1979
12-25-2011, 11:49 PM
I am having some trouble removing the bolt from the swing arm pivot to remove the swing arm, I loosened the nut off and pounded it back a bit but then it stopped and will not slide all the way through and out, is there a trick? please help, does it have something to do with the needle bearings? do i have to line it up with them some certain way?

shortline10
12-26-2011, 09:04 AM
Lay it on it's side and spray lots of penetrating fluid down the pivot bolt . After it sits for a while letting the fluid do its thing hit it with a big hammer and it should come out . Last resort you can cut it out with a sawzall and buy a new bolt .

jb2wheels
12-26-2011, 02:42 PM
Soaking with PB Blaster, WD40, etc is the best bet. I also hear a 50/50 ATF/Acetone mix works wonders but I've never tried it.

Whatever you choose, give it time to penetrate and work. If you have time, lay the frame on it's side and apply the penetrant a couple of times a day over a couple of days.

Other than that, this is a heat and beat project. Both my 84 X's got a lot of sledge time.

Be carefull pounding on the bolt and don't damage the threads. Be sure you can source a bolt before you cut the old one.

The bolt and bearings/tube are corroded together. Very common. Once you get it apart and all cleaned up, put a zerk fitting on the swingarm pivot so you can hit it with a grease gun once in a while.

3wheely
12-26-2011, 03:00 PM
Did all the above and ended up cutting mine out. Depends on how corroded it is. Definitely keep it greased when you put it back together. It's worth the couple minutes to do it time from time.

JJMF1979
12-26-2011, 04:33 PM
If it was corroded then wouldn't it not move at all? It slide back maybe an inch and a half before it stopped sliding does that make any sencce to anyone. and also if i was gonna cut it where is the best spot to cut isn't there some bushings or something that i wouldn't want to cut??

Well i got it off after much f$%#ing around with it and a sawzall what a b$tch i can't even see why it wouldn't come in the first place, anyways anyone have a spare bolt lol

snap911
01-15-2012, 05:49 PM
i used my impact and spun mine over while spraying it with wd. working it back and forth with a hammer when it gets stuck spin with the impact. after about 20 mins it slid right out.