PDA

View Full Version : oil in exhaust baffle?

branson200x
12-29-2011, 12:53 PM
hey! i just rebuilt my 85 200x. the guy i bought it from told me it was only smoking due to oil in the muffler......ya right....well it still smoked a little when i got it all back together. if i take the muffler off it will not smoke at all. is there anyway to get all that old oil out of the muffler? will soaking it in the parts washer clear a lot of it? or am i looking at a new muffler?

shortline10
12-29-2011, 01:18 PM
I have this issue allot when customers bring me smoking motors for rebuilds . Unless its really bad just run it hard and it will heat up the oil and dissipate . Usually takes one good long hot ride to do it not just a putt putt around the block either .

tri again
12-29-2011, 03:48 PM
What's the deal on cleaning the 'spark arrestor'?
Does it have 2 bolts going vertically up into the end of the muffler?
Think it matters or if it would help?
Some say they are always clean but manual says to clean them
occasionally.

branson200x
12-29-2011, 04:09 PM
well i haven't run it good and hot yet since the rebuild. im actually soakin it a parts washer to try and get some of it out. the two bolts just hold that cap on. my whole muffler is full of oil. ill let ya know if the parts washer helps. if not ill try just runnin it hot and hard for a while.

muthey
12-30-2011, 08:30 PM
if you try and take the spark arrestor out be careful, the bolts have a tendency to either be froze in or snap off. Also if you do get it out the spark arrestor doesn't always want to come out

just ben
12-30-2011, 10:17 PM
a four poke with the exhaust full of oil? I would think that there is a problem for that to even happen. The clean outs you are talking about triagain are to clean out excess carbon build up.

branson200x
12-31-2011, 04:07 PM
that would be why i rebuilt the motor.

Doink
12-31-2011, 07:43 PM
I had the same problem with a 4-stroke that smoked like a 2-stroke. Took it to a MX park and it was rode for about 3 hours by several folks. Still burned oil until a rebuild but it stopped the trail of blue-white smoke that stank something awful.

Rangie
01-04-2012, 04:36 PM
Sounds like a job for the old CZ and MZ mantra!

Every year or so depending on the amount of running, remove exhaust, dowse with petrol inside and out, set it alight and retire to a safe distance!!! This was to remove oil and carbon deposits....... :naughty:

Alec.

STiForester
01-04-2012, 11:54 PM
I like that!! Good idea. Old school lol