PDA

View Full Version : 1983 atc185s

davidgcet
12-29-2011, 11:43 PM
Just introducing myself, i recently bought a 83 185s from my cousin and will be using this board a lot for help. She runs ok for the most part, but has a couple issues i need to figure out.

1st, it is hard to start. i mean when it is a cold start i have to pull it 20+ times before it will try to fire off, then play with the throttle to keep it running until it warms up. once warm, it runs good for a while. i pulled the carb and cleaned everything, including some clogged ports in the main jet. once it is warmed up, it is 1 pull and she fires up.

2nd, after it has run for an hour or so it seems to want to go to half-full throttle at times. you can let off the throttle and it will keep idling up. if you hit the brake while rolling in gear, it will idle back down for a few, then start it again. if you have it in neutral when it does it, be prepared for a wheelie when you engage 1st gear!

it also does not seem to matter if the choke is on or off, it runs exactly the same way. this seems strange to me, when i had the carb off i know the choke was workign properly.

it also seems to hesitate on a rev at times, even when in neutral. soemtimes it will sound like it just died for a second, then rev up, others it just bogs down big time. of course, it does not do this when it wants to run away on its own!

the decompression cable is not connected, and at some point someone took the plate out of the recoil starter so i can't hook it back up either. this is not a big deal, i just hit the lever when i need to. i've gotten good at rewinding the recoil rope, counting today i've broken it 3 times in 3 days by forgetting to hit the decomp and giving her a good yank. i hope a new rope will solve most of that, but i'll probably hook the decomp back up once i get everything working right.

also there are NO rear brakes. the lever and the pedal and all associated cabling were removed and tossed by my cousin. he said the pedal was broke and he just took it all off. i got lucky and found a complete pedal/cable setup on ebay, so at least that portion will be fixed in a few days. for now, i've only run thru the gears one time and just put around in 1st or 2nd until the rears are hooked up.

lastly, the spark arrestor is gone and that end of the pipe is rusted away. i don't know if this lack of back pressure is causing any of the other issues?