PDA

View Full Version : About critter cams??

Dirtcrasher
12-30-2011, 06:09 PM
With all the talk about security and outdoor cams, just wondered what you guys like.

I'm fully alarmed with doors/windows but not anything left out. Something as simple as a lawnmower and we've had some thieves coming around so I want some opinions.

I don't know if they all have a huge flash, but I don't want the camera found and destroyed. Batteries aren't an issue and I'm assuming infrared is what triggers it?

I was looking at wildlife cams and such but wanted your opinions. Both EBAY and AMAZON have tons of models, not sure what I need but it will need to shoot at night (without detection) and a memory card would be great. May have to pick up as far as 30' away.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on whats worked for you.....

tri again
12-30-2011, 06:56 PM
Let's see.

The one I have was 59 bucks.
Tasco maybe 5 megapix.
A 4 gig sd card will hold 6,000 (thousand) pix like 10 bucks.
Batteries last for months.

It can be set at 1 or 3 pix every 10 seconds up to however many minutes you want.
Also takes short videos.

Wat I love is that the 'flash' is infrared so you have to be staring right AT it
to see the IR illuminator 'glow' but you'd never ever notice it even sneaking around in
the dark.
Also help to 'aim' it in the dark.
Set it up and walk by and you can see the glow and kow you're getting took.
But ya really have to be staring directly at it. to see the glow.

Mine is happy in a tree aiming AT my door and it will read license plate numbers at 30 feet.
in the dark.

I'll take a picture of the box and specs.
It's a year old so I'm sure there are better cheaper ones too.
Cheap insurance.

I even set it on the fridge during our Thanksgiving dinner so
I didn't have to interrupt the festivities with a flash camera.

Had hundreds of picture to chose from.
Strapped it on my belt an walked around a concert.

Fun toy and better to have it now that 'after', kicking and screaming, wishing for pictures.

Dirtcrasher
12-30-2011, 06:59 PM
^ Thanks bud, I'd love to know the model #. So I guess the infrared eliminates the "give-away" flash??

Swinger
12-30-2011, 07:07 PM
There is alot out there to chose from. You gonna want to get one that has no flash and there is alot of those to pick from. There are ones that dont take cards and will send a pic straight to your computer if there is any activity. Not sure the price for these but this is what we got for out sportsmans club for people stealing trout from our breader pond. Check out Cabelas or Gander Mountain or any outdoor place and Im sure there is something perfect for you.

jays375
12-30-2011, 10:45 PM
Well here is my two cents.Had cameras for 5 years now and they see alot of use.My cameras are out 7 months strait.With game cameras you get what you pay for.The more money the better it works plain and simple.Try to stay away from the under $150 ones.One thing that is going to be tough is night time pics.Most IR cameras cut the mega pixels back at night time.So if some punk is wearing a hoodie it will be tough to identify them.There will be alot of people that will tell you the cheap ones work well.They work decent set up on a game feeder.When put out into the woods they suck.There ability to pick up movement really shows.Or should I say doesn't show any pics.I have tried my share of cheap cameras out.The cheap ones don't take centered shots alot of time also.

Scootertrash
12-31-2011, 07:19 AM
Here's a couple of sites with reveiws/comparisons of various game cameras:

http://trailcameras.net/

http://www.trailcampro.com/

JasonB
12-31-2011, 12:08 PM
my dad put one out behind his house here in the city where theres a tiny section of woods; i dont know the brand or megapixel rating but it had a red led flash and would snap pics that looked alright. Im pretty sure he picked it up at Dicks sporting goods and it was under 100$. It was up durring the fall this year and didnt catch that many leaves falling but caught a bunch of other good shots of random activity and local wildlife.

DasUberKraut
12-31-2011, 12:58 PM
Cuddeback flashless infrared.

badass350x
01-02-2012, 03:10 AM
My Barrel has a BIG flash!!! but We will talk about that one later!! LOL.