PDA

View Full Version : 350x head repair

baycitysteve
12-30-2011, 08:21 PM
i have a old 350x head that is ported buy it has a few dings it where a ring come apart and hit it , can these dings be welded up and then
drumeled to match the rest of the head ?? or would it be better to just run it as is ?? what's you guys opinion ?? i have run it since and it runs good but i think it would run better if i could put it back like new ?? thanks steve ..

WilliamJ
12-30-2011, 09:13 PM
Just depends on where the dings are. Do you have a photo?

I would avoid welding the head if they are fairly shallow - just take the sharp edges off. Unless they are very deep I doubt they will make much difference but any sharp edges need to go as they could overheat and cause pre-ignition.
Bill

Dirtcrasher
12-31-2011, 10:41 PM
I agree, the chance of welding it up and a chunk popping out are there.

Just smooth it out with a dremel, IMHO.

Got any pics? Just some small damage??

I know it has to hurt to have a head that was ported and worked well just to damage it. No valve seat damage?

How much time was on there and what compression ratio??

atc007
01-01-2012, 09:24 AM
I have COUNTLESS 350X,250X,300EX,TRX350,,,,,4 valve heads that were destroyed,,the damage you speak of,,but right into the valve pockets..ALL running happily around the countryside! Obviously,,the worse ones concerned me for heat build up/ warpage issues around the exhaust valves. Not ONE has ever came back. It all started in 1987,,a customer put his own Wiseco in,,,didn't get one of the clips in right. GRENADED the entire thing!! Schrapnel you can't imagine! After the parts and labor of getting him built back up TO the head,,he begged me to save it. I told him,,NO guarantees!! We may end up right back where we started. It's still running today. With Countless others I 've dremeled. Never welded!! I would not weld,,just dremel. The carbon has it filled in to a degree fairly quickly anyhow. So,bottom line !. Dremel it and run it. If it's into the valves,new valves and a good lapping,,if it's worse,cut the seats,then lap,then run. It will run perfect,and only you will ever know what it really looks like in there.

SWIGIN
01-01-2012, 09:54 AM
I have COUNTLESS 350X,250X,300EX,TRX350,,,,,4 valve heads that were destroyed,,the damage you speak of,,but right into the valve pockets..ALL running happily around the countryside! Obviously,,the worse ones concerned me for heat build up/ warpage issues around the exhaust valves. Not ONE has ever came back. It all started in 1987,,a customer put his own Wiseco in,,,didn't get one of the clips in right. GRENADED the entire thing!! Schrapnel you can't imagine! After the parts and labor of getting him built back up TO the head,,he begged me to save it. I told him,,NO guarantees!! We may end up right back where we started. It's still running today. With Countless others I 've dremeled. Never welded!! I would not weld,,just dremel. The carbon has it filled in to a degree fairly quickly anyhow. So,bottom line !. Dremel it and run it. If it's into the valves,new valves and a good lapping,,if it's worse,cut the seats,then lap,then run. It will run perfect,and only you will ever know what it really looks like in there.

I agree 100% ,...but pics of the OP's head would be nice.

atc007
01-01-2012, 04:38 PM
SUPPORT for my post??,,lol,,,if you SAW some of these I've fixed... Every "trained " tech would shake their head,,,walk away and laugh at me !! lol,,When they're junk,they're junk. But a lot of them are salvageble.

baycitysteve
01-01-2012, 05:25 PM
thanks kinda what i thought ..

SWIGIN
01-01-2012, 07:17 PM
SUPPORT for my post??,,lol,,,if you SAW some of these I've fixed... Every "trained " tech would shake their head,,,walk away and laugh at me !! lol,,When they're junk,they're junk. But a lot of them are salvageble.

I had a 200x head back in the late 80s that looked as rough as an english muffin....lol

Ran just fine.....thats why I agreed with you.

baycitysteve
01-01-2012, 09:28 PM
well busted out the dremel tonight and i'm happy to say the patient is resting comfortable in the garage and everything went well .
turned out better than i thought .. thanks for all your opions !! can't wait to try out , don't know if i should run the ported head from poweroll that's on the
motor for the first ice race or throw on the tc ported head i just fixed . need to do the same to the poweroll head too !! thanks again steve