PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Tool and Least Favorite Tool

Orangecnty250r
12-30-2011, 10:33 PM
I was cleaning out my tool box tonight and found my craftsman RoboGrip. I always hated that tool .. Grip never felt strong.

I figured I would check what everyones favorite tool is (used most often, helpful, etc) and least favorite ever you ever purchased....Be good to share what works and what doesn't. Tis the season of gift cards and I have a few to burn!!!

MINE

Favorite- I use my Dewalt grinder, cutting wheel and attachments almost 50% of the days in my shop

Least Favorite- Craftman Robo grip.

dcreel
12-30-2011, 10:40 PM
Favorite- Craftsman metric ratcheting wrenches.. I love them

Biggest save in a pinch- Nut splitter.. Had a 250r axle nut that would not budge. Heat, air tools.. no luck.. Harbor freight nut splitter and pop cut it in half.. nifty little thing.. Didn't know they existed, and I'll probably never use it again.

Least Favorite- 3/8" air ratchet that came with my air compressor.. Put it on the bolt or nut squeeze trigger and smash all the knuckles on that hand.. everytime.. As far as I can tell it wasn't made to do anything but swing violently until your hand collides with something.. preferably steel, probably rusty, and sharp as hell.. :D

Dirtcrasher
12-30-2011, 11:57 PM
Favorite tools - Mill, lathe, dremel

Least - bolt extractors

We use to call those "Robojunks" - terrible tool.

And dcreel, My air ratchet must be yours cousin as it does the same thing to me :lol:

just ben
12-31-2011, 12:12 AM
favorite is definitely my cordless impact driver least favorite would be easy outs. I'm effed when I have to use them and double effed when they break off

captainweezy
12-31-2011, 12:31 AM
Favorite is an impact driver. I don't even mess with a regular screwdriver on Phillips heads that i know will give me heLL.

I cant really think of a least favorite/hated tool.......I will though

pantera1975
12-31-2011, 12:40 AM
favorite too would be my cordless impact least would be off brand vice grips! they suck to clamp hurt your fingers and wont release sometimes and smash your fingers then then the spring falls out and they are so cheap they twist and slip off bolts

Swinger
12-31-2011, 12:55 AM
My favorite tool is my headlamp. I use it several times a day from working in the garage instead of kicking around a trebble light to checking the animals out at night to night fishing. Cant remember the last day I didnt use one. Worst is the cheap screwdriver sets. Ill use them a few times until they start to go bad and use it for a punch and then in the trash it goes.

300rman
12-31-2011, 02:57 AM
Favorite tool: depends what I am doing. But a Metabo/Welder are generally really useful.

Best tool for "in a pinch": A Rothenberger Speed Wrench. These things kick ASS.
http://www.toolstation.com/images/library/stock/webbig/90499.jpg

Worst tool: Cheap junk tools.

atc007
12-31-2011, 10:57 AM
Best,,,cordless impact,,most usefull,,Screwdriver impacts,,worst,,anything JUNK,,I don't buy it anymore,,. But When I was lured in when I was younger ,I was far less than pleased. Screwdrivers,pliars etc.. I Love my air ratchets?? You have to break the bolt loose first! Manually. But I love them,and all I've ever had are junk.. Never a Craftsman or name brand. As far as your gift card goes,,can't imagine alot that you don't already have Bill ?

hillbilly 200x
12-31-2011, 11:22 AM
Favorite tool would have to be my 3/8'' drive 80 tooth snap-on ratchet. I can use that sucker ever where. Its storng as hell and backs loss bolts out that you can't back out with a reg ratchet.

Worst would have to be cheap sockets!!! number one reason why nuts and bolts get rounded heads.

Russell 350X
12-31-2011, 11:35 AM
Favorite tool - Cresent wrench :lol::lol::lol: Never get out of my service truck without a 10", and there's always a 4" on me lol.

Most hated tool - don't really have one, I always make good use of what I got.

RIDE-RED 250r
12-31-2011, 11:44 AM
Favorite: Oxy/acetylene torches, welder, my good craftsman 6 point sockets. (Always wondered why the 1/2 drive sockets that came in a kit are always 12 point being that they will have the most torque applied to them??)

Least favorite: Whatever wrong tool for the job I have to improvise/adapt with to get the job done. Like DCREEL, it usually results in skinned knuckles and a "string of obscenity that for all we know, is still hanging in space somewhere over Oneida Lake"! LOL!

dcreel
12-31-2011, 11:53 AM
Reminds me of a funny story.. I had just sunk $50 in a new battery charger.. I had used it before and it worked great. I was trying to charge the battery in the LT80 and the kids were ready to ride.. The charger wasn't working.. It would start charging, with the green light on then the yellow light would come on and it was new.. I was getting angry. I was spending way too much time with it. Everyone went in the house.. After cleaning contacts, checking wires, etc. It still wouldn't work.. I snatched it up by the power cord and started swinging it around my head and repeatedly bashing it into the concrete.. :D

I turned around after I had conquered the sumbitching thing.. and the wife was standing behind me grinning her @$$ off at me.. Good times..

JasonB
12-31-2011, 12:01 PM
wow thats a tough one......

I love my Craftsman sockets. not a real name brand and nothing fancy, but I have put some SERIOUS time in cranking those 1/4" 3/4" 1/2" sizes pulling motors from cars and bikes lol

most hated tool......hmmmmmmm. I guess you could throw allen keys on for this one, I dont know how or why but I have probably got 60 or so of them floating around my tool chest from all the different sets I acquired over the years for God knows why and they are virtually impossible to figure out what size they are without jamming them into a bolt and risking making your job that much longer by gumming up the hole testing to see if its the right size.

im sure i will see a tool that i absolutely hate next time in the shop and have to edit this response :D

HuffieVA
12-31-2011, 12:12 PM
Favorite (Based on fun factor): English Wheel
Favorite (Based on usefulness): Miller Mig
Least Favorite: Not so "Easy Out" extractors, they seem to have a success vs get you in more trouble factor of about 15:1
Despised: All those junk wrenches and other misc tools you find in old cars/trucks your restoring that end up getting thrown in with the real tools as spares, that somehow end up sneaking their way into your hands and instantly result in blood and pain

blue27
12-31-2011, 12:24 PM
Fav- cordless impacts
Least- slip joint pliers/or pipe wrenchs ....every time I have to work on rear axle for someone the last guy had to use them on the axle nuts!

motto in my garage (and the reasoning when it comes to buying tools) is "if I have the tool I will use it ..if not... I will find something else to use"

brapp
12-31-2011, 12:32 PM
most euseful is my metric t handle set for bikes and quads, but my most used is a good wrench set and my 1/2 inch aqnd 1 inch drive sets for workign on the equipment. and my least favorite tool is my hobart mig welder for soem reason the feed is messed up and doesnt feed wire well at all!!

baycitysteve
12-31-2011, 12:43 PM
favorite tool = can of bud light
least favorite tool = ex-wife

DasUberKraut
12-31-2011, 12:47 PM
Favorite tool = SK metric stubby wrenches.
Worst tool = Obama.

racer....X
12-31-2011, 08:58 PM
Favorite tool....gear wrench ratcheting wrenchs.

least fav.....has to be the robo slips!

RIDE-RED 250r
01-01-2012, 01:46 AM
Love the replies to this thread! Happy new year! :beer

Thorpe
01-01-2012, 02:40 AM
My favorite would definately be my Miller 140 welder, followed by my Snap On screwdriver sets... (hard to beat good screwdrivers)

Least favorite tool: Straight blade screws!!! (what a dumba$$ design!!!)

dickieg89
01-01-2012, 06:44 PM
My least favorite tool(s) are the clowns my company doesn't get rid of and they contribute less than nothing.

My favorote tool is my truck.

WIkid500
01-02-2012, 12:24 AM
Favorite tool = Snap On Screwdriver, always nice to be able to remove screws without gumming up the heads.

Worst favorite tools are those in friends shops. I ask them if I need to bring anything when helping them out...they say they have it covered, you get there and their tool box is a disaster. I have a go to bag now that goes with me.

badass350x
01-02-2012, 03:23 AM
I would have too say SNAP RING PLIERS!!!

badass350x
01-02-2012, 03:25 AM
favorite tool = can of bud light
least favorite tool = ex-wife

lmfao!!!!!!

fabiodriven
01-02-2012, 09:45 AM
I would have too say SNAP RING PLIERS!!!

Yeah, OK. So are those your favorite or least favorite? I know the concept is difficult, but give it a shot!

Favorite- Channel Locks. That doesn't mean I go around using them on every fastener I see. There is just so much you can do with them if you know how to use them. I always want to smack a b!tch when I see somebody trying to use them back wards. So stupid.

Least favorite- I'm jumping on the EZ Out bandwagon here. I've never seen one actually work, ever. If you think about the concept, it's just an awful idea. The tool is actually expanding the bolt that's already stuck in the hole making it even harder to extract!

D-dub
01-02-2012, 01:17 PM
Favorite tool is my 10'' ice auger...also like my electric engraver, dremel, cordless impact.

badass350x
01-02-2012, 01:23 PM
Yeah, OK. So are those your favorite or least favorite? I know the concept is difficult, but give it a shot!

Favorite- Channel Locks. That doesn't mean I go around using them on every fastener I see. There is just so much you can do with them if you know how to use them. I always want to smack a b!tch when I see somebody trying to use them back wards. So stupid.

Least favorite- I'm jumping on the EZ Out bandwagon here. I've never seen on actually work, ever. If you think about the concept, it's just an awful idea. The tool is actually expanding the bolt that's already stuck in the hole making it even harder to extract!Alright Smart trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro its My Favorite!!! LOL..

Chazz of Blades
01-02-2012, 01:37 PM
Favorite tool: Good ole fashion ratchet.

Least Favorite: My pocket multi-tool, having to use it normally means something shitted up in the worst possible place!

Jason125m
01-02-2012, 02:03 PM
Favourite Tool: Channel locks. Saved my ass more times than I can count.
Least favourite: Straight screws. Not even a tool.... but I love the straight screwdrivers. :)
Remember Thorpe.... It was your silly country who brought out straights. We came up with Robertson's. ( square) The damn best! Philips are pretty bad IMO also...

D-dub
01-02-2012, 02:22 PM
We came up with Robinson's. ( square)
lol...Robertson

Jason125m
01-02-2012, 03:38 PM
lol...Robertson

Pretty dlck thing to say. But thanks for correcting my mistake.