PDA

View Full Version : Decided to get a lever action, lets start a conversation

ATC-Eric
12-31-2011, 08:29 PM
Ive decided to get myself something for Christmas, Ive been good so its time for a new toy. Im looking at lever action rifles for the time being. I work at Dicks Sporting Goods right now, so the rifle I purchase needs to be availible through them for me to get my discount. I should also tell you all I really will ever do with the rifle is screw around. I may take it hunting, depending on what I get, and if I ever go hunting. For the most part it will only ever be a play gun. I understand price will come into play when it comes to just taking it to the range, or cruising throught the brush, that wont bother me to much. I will be getting into reloading in the near future, so I can cut my costs down across the board.

If I can get one, this is on the top of my list:

A Henry Big Boy 44 Cal.

http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-big-boy.cfm

If that doesnt work, Im thinking that something like this 1895 Cowboy by Marlin chambered in a 44, 45LC, or 357 just like the Big Boy:

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/Cowboy/1894_45Colt.asp

I've also considered going with something I really dont need, that would cost around a buck and a half per trigger pull, the 45-70:

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/Cowboy/1895Cowboy.asp

I like the idea of the 45-70, big power, got a 26" barrel, just a bad to the bone machine.

So what do you people out there think? Pros and cons to different calibers? Any other suggestions now that you know what sort of gun Im in the market for? Im decently knowledgable when it comes to firearms, just asking this here to get a fun conversation started.

hoosierlogger
12-31-2011, 08:37 PM
Those Henry rifles sure are a work of art.

ATC-Eric
12-31-2011, 08:44 PM
EVERYONE Ive talked to that owns any Henry tells me its the nicest smoothest action lever there is. If I get that Big Boy, I highly doubt Ill be disapointed.

hoosierlogger
12-31-2011, 09:34 PM
Plus the Walnut that they use to make the stocks on them comes from MO.

JasonB
12-31-2011, 09:48 PM
lol sorry I 'persuaded' you to go with a real gun over the 22 :D and sorry for not texting you back earlier I have been super busy today.

I really like the Big Boy by Henry, that thing is purdy. I REALLY want to pick up a Judge but cant figure out what toys I would have to sell to come up with some money for that. I still need to shoot yours

chuckiedog04
12-31-2011, 10:28 PM
i have an original stevens favorite, single shot lever action .22. my grandfather gave it to me. i know your talking about a new one. i know that henry has very nice .22s. though i have never shot a larger caliber henry.

ATC-Eric
01-01-2012, 01:23 AM
Every review I can find about the big boy is good. Nothing but flying colors for it. Retail through Dicks is 699.99, if I cant get a little more off that I will have to walk away. I can get the 45-70 for 400 and change......

And Jason, Im still buying a little 22, just going to make the bigger purchase right now.

RIDE-RED 250r
01-01-2012, 01:42 AM
The Henry's are wonderful rifles no doubt... But don't count the Winchester 1886, .45-70 out. Downside is they will run about twice as much cost-wise.

I'm a bit of a gun nut as well. I'll be bringing home a S@W M19-3, 4" in a couple of weeks and just ordered a S@W 1911 E-Series Stainless, Tactical...

atc007
01-01-2012, 09:40 AM
The Henry's are wonderful rifles no doubt... But don't count the Winchester 1886, .45-70 out. Downside is they will run about twice as much cost-wise.

I'm a bit of a gun nut as well. I'll be bringing home a S@W M19-3, 4" in a couple of weeks and just ordered a S@W 1911 E-Series Stainless, Tactical...

I think you're a stockholder over there at S & W : )

atc007
01-01-2012, 09:43 AM
My.02.. Is it REALLY ,, FUN,,having a 45 70 smashing your shoulder back?? I don't think so ! Get something much smaller that you can reload reasonably,,and SHOOT,,and have FUN.. Not just dread because you got the biggest dam thing they have. I see no shame in a smaller rifle you can actually be deadly accurate with... My 2 pennies.

Swinger
01-01-2012, 10:34 AM
I was never really a big gun enthusiest but have wanted a Henry for a long time. Ive always done my hunting with my bow. Ever since I met my wife she has had horses and I thought it would be great to have a Henry rifle so when we go for a ride through the woods I could take it and pretend Im the Duke! Ha ha, sorry just figured I let you know that I think those are sweet guns IMO.

brapp
01-01-2012, 11:18 AM
i completly agree woth atc007 i have a thompson center 4570 single shot i use in bear season only and its nowhere near as much fun as my winchester 94ae chamberewd in 30-30 great gun to shoot and have droped alot of deer and coyotes with it. but save ytioyself soemn money and finbd a good used big bore and still buy the 22 to plink with.

brapp
01-01-2012, 11:21 AM
and another personal oppinion i live ther way the stainless marlins and rugers look with the laminate stocks.

ATC-Eric
01-01-2012, 11:32 AM
I agree with you guys on the big bore pains. Ive just always been drawn to the firearms that you shoot on a dare. I have considered a 30-30, dont know if I would prefer that or a 44. Both will cost about the same to shoot.............

And yeah Josh I agree. LOVE stainless, but would be completely okay with a brass accented rifle as well :D

RIDE-RED 250r
01-01-2012, 12:49 PM
I think you're a stockholder over there at S & W : )

Yes, yes... I definitely have an infatuation of sorts with S@W handguns..... That and trikes! Both can get me in trouble with the Mrs. from time to time.. :D

Something else to ad to the original topic...

Hornady has the Lever Revolution ammo out for popular lever gun cartidges. IE 30-30, 44mag, 32spl, 357mag and maybe a couple others. They basically put a plastic conical tip to the projectile giving the much better accuracy out to and even beyond 100 yds than the old flat nosed rounds of yesteryear. The orginal flat nose rounds were made that way to prevent accidental discharge of rounds in the magazine tube. Can't have a hard, pointy bullet nose under spring pressure, butted up against the primer of the round in front of it!

I can understand the allure of the .45-70. I have shot quite a few powerful long guns and handguns over the years up to and including a .50BMG, single shot sniper rifle, S@W 500, 454 Casul, .300 Win Mag/Wby Mag, etc. The thing to remember though, is that the lever guns are inherently lightweight rifles. A .45-70 is gonna punch you in the shoulder pretty sharply. But as with shooting everything from full house magnum handguns to a .50BMG, proper stance, grip/shouldering and control go a long way in lessening felt recoil.

Jerm1179
01-01-2012, 04:51 PM
I have a Marlin 45-70 1895 Govt in stainless....it has a nice thump to it....but doesnt hurt. (they have a very thick and soft buttpad) if anything the barrel jumps up more than it kicks back. great gun.... my nephews were 14 and shot it without one complaint of bruised shoulder:P

ATC-Eric
01-02-2012, 01:16 AM
Yeah Joe we sell the Hornady amunition. Pretty cool stuff for sure!

Anybody have any thoughts on Rossi lever actions? I have added this one to the list of maybes. Comes in standard blue, or Stainless Steel. Im also thinking I am going to go with the 357/38. Will be a lot cheaper to shoot all day.

http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=153&category=8&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

ss

http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=165&category=8&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

ATC-Eric
01-02-2012, 01:18 AM
Thanks for the feedback Jer. I think Ive about ruled the 45-70 out, want something that I can shoot all day without costing tooooooo much. Definently see myself getting into one down the road though.........

WIkid500
01-02-2012, 02:02 AM
I would have to stick with the .44 mag. You will get a lot more use from that than the 45-70. I have an old Marlin .32 special and it's a sweet little gun. Either way you will not go wrong with the Marlin or the Henry. Get yourself a lee reloading kit and press out some .44 mag if you plan to shoot it a bunch. 44 mag is quite expensive, I don't shot my Ruger redhawlk because of it. I reload for everything else except the 44, just not enough time with everything else I shoot.

MisterFurious
01-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Since you're going to be getting it through Dick's, you should stay away from the Marlins. Remington bought them out a few years ago, and took over production in 09. It has been a cluster "you know what" ever since. They've ceased production for the time being on most Marlins until they can produce decent, functional guns. I've looked at a bunch of "Remarlins" and they are horrible; bad wood to metal fit, feeding and extraction issues, bad millwork. Even the bluing is crappy. Plus endless horror stories about dealing with Remington to get them fixed. We're talking close to a year in some instances...It's sad; I'm a huge fan of Marlin guns. I have 3 pre-Remington ones and they're fantastic.

Russell 350X
01-02-2012, 09:34 PM
I've always been a big fan of the Winchester 1894. I got one in .32Special.

ctk
01-03-2012, 12:58 PM
im not sure if others can read this but... the 2nd page to this thread is messed up and cant be view.

Jerm1179
01-09-2012, 06:08 PM
another neat option if your thinking about doing a 44...i just got the Rossi Circuit Judge...its a fun little carbine... its not a lever action..but has a cylinder (just like the taurus judge..thats worthless IMO) and gives you the option of shooting .410 shot or slugs aswell.... i put a reddot scope on mine...very different and very fun

200xman
01-09-2012, 07:58 PM
I don't have a lever action but I do have a Rossi .22 pump in stainless and it is a great little gun. Nicely made and finished, shots good too.

ctk
02-07-2012, 03:18 PM
well what did you buy eric?

rodeofan5656
02-07-2012, 04:21 PM
i know i know, the bigger the gun the "badder" it is. but hands down, the Henry lever action .22 is the best target and "for fun" rifle there is. heres mine, got it for my 9th b-day.....

300rman
02-09-2012, 12:23 AM
Bought myself a Mosin Nagant M9130 for a hundred bucks. Rail kit was 50, about an hour to install it. 80 for the Simmons scope. Shoots awesome, and a rubber shoulder pad made it a lot more fun to shoot. I would up with a gun that will take a 500 yard shot without issue that has a hell of a knock-down for about $250 that is cheap to shoot.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n313/NightBiker07/IMG_20110426_220714.jpg

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n313/NightBiker07/IMG_20110426_224522.jpg