PDA

View Full Version : Got your cabbage?

hoosierlogger
12-31-2011, 08:32 PM
Eat your cabbage tomorrow for Good luck in the coming year. The wife and I were at the grocery store earlier this evening and they had it for $0.29 per pound. We got 25 pounds. I have been chopping cabbage and salting it for the past 2 hours. In about 4 weeks Ill have close to 3 gallons of sauerkraut. Now I got to get busy and make a shitload of brats.

just ben
12-31-2011, 08:43 PM
whens dinner?

ezmoney1979
12-31-2011, 08:49 PM
You lost me until you mentioned brats!(not the Subaru) Me and some friends love getting together for beer brats. Been a while for the kraut tho. Damn now I'm hungy:beer

JasonB
12-31-2011, 09:31 PM
i know nothing about kruat, cant stand the stuff!! well just the smell :D sounds like you got a hellofa deal, get going on those brats and have a great new years eve!

Dirtcrasher
12-31-2011, 10:49 PM
I thought you could only make one Brat every 9 months plus?

J/K, nice score if thats what you like to eat. I recently indulged in some cheddar filled Brats, OoooH yeah, they were delicious! I ate too many and was bloated for hours.......

RIDE-RED 250r
01-01-2012, 01:51 AM
Love me some brats n kraut!

hoosierlogger
01-09-2012, 06:29 PM
Well the sauerkraut is done fermenting. I cant believe it only took 9 days. I think Ill leave it in the crock for another week or so. It tastes pretty good already.

86T3
01-09-2012, 10:57 PM
Would you give a step by step on how you make kraut? We butcher our own chickens and pigs (cow soon) and one of my favorite things in the world to do is make sausage. Making kraut seems like the next logical progression. Wouldn't mind a brat recipe, i don't have one that i've used before. And i'm not german, i can't play it by ear

Vealmonkey
01-09-2012, 11:46 PM
Keep the kraut but give me the German Potato Salad. Yummy

hoosierlogger
01-10-2012, 06:24 AM
Would you give a step by step on how you make kraut? We butcher our own chickens and pigs (cow soon) and one of my favorite things in the world to do is make sausage. Making kraut seems like the next logical progression. Wouldn't mind a brat recipe, i don't have one that i've used before. And i'm not german, i can't play it by ear

I used natural sea salt. It came out to about 3/4 cup per 20 pounds of cabbage.

Shred the cabbage in a food processor or chop with a knife.
discard the core.
add a little salt to 5 pounds of cabbage and mix it evenly. let it sit while you are preparing the next 5 pounds.
the salt will draw out the moisture in the cabbage to make the brine.
once the cabbage is producing water, pack it into a clean container firmly with your hands. repeat untill all cabbage is in the container.
you will then need a plate that fits inside the container that holds your cabbage. Lay the plate on the cabbage and weight it down with a jar of water to hold the plate under 1" water.

If the cabbage doesnt produce enough brine to cover it you can add some salt water.
check it every day and skim the scum off of it with a spoon. when it quits bubbling it is done fermenting. The longer it sits in the bucket the stronger the taste.

Some people add caraway seed to it to keep it from rotting and growing mold. I have never had a problem with it though. You can also add garlic, apples, carrots, ect to boost the flavor.

86T3
01-10-2012, 10:33 AM
I think i'm gonna give it a shot, i love cabbage. Thanks

hoosierlogger
01-10-2012, 05:22 PM
My brother and I ate some of it on some cheddarwurst last night and neither one of us got sick. Id call it a success!!

hoosierlogger
01-19-2012, 06:01 PM
I canned it all yesterday. I got 13 quarts of sauerkraut. The wife is going to hate me by the time its all gone.