PDA

View Full Version : shipping a trike, who to use?

Gordo
01-03-2012, 01:43 AM
Hello,
I am from canada but my mom lives in san diego. The cost for an 85 or 86 250r is literally half what it is here in BC canada. Has anyone done research into companies that will ship quads? It would be from the san diego area to sumas washington right by the border to abbotsford bc. Any input at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

amorgan
01-03-2012, 03:18 AM
Shipping a grime is always expensive. good luck

coolpool
01-03-2012, 12:55 PM
You may want to check into the "RIV" website on importing vehicles before you commit to buying anything. http://www.riv.ca/importingavehicle.aspx There has been some discussions on here about your exact question; try the search feature and see what comes up. There is a forum member from Ontario that has done it before, but I believe they live close to the border. I can't remember the username :-( I think you'll find that once you make the purchase, pay for crating and pay shipping, your local costs won't be too far off. There may be duties/taxes/broker fees payable from importing on top of all that. I'm not saying it can't be done, just weigh the actual costs/hassles carefully. Good luck.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/safevehicles/importation/usa/vafus/list2/Section9_0.htm

Gordo
01-03-2012, 07:54 PM
becauce the vehicle is over 15 years old apparently i dont have to go through the riv process but i think there is still a 150$ duty fee. You do have to fax the papers for the vehicle to the border crossing 72 hrs in advance of when you wish to cross, which makes things a bit of a hassle.

RoscoW
01-03-2012, 10:00 PM
You should be able to find a shipper locally that will do everything for you. Talk to a few used car dealers and get their transport company contacts. Bringing a car across is the same process as a quad or trike be it in or out of the RIV program. Another option is to dig into your local kijiji and look for the guys selling all the newer used quads, A lot of them come up from across the border and I'm sure that someone is importing them or will import it for you. I know of a couple around here that will go get whatever you want.
The easiest by far is go down and visit and bring it home, the longer your down in the US the more that comes off the receipt to pay taxes on.

bryan70546
01-04-2012, 11:08 PM
uship.com is who i am using to ship my 250r ,very easy to use you you let the shippers bid , to ship a 250 1346 miles it cost me 325$ , you can even request bids from shippers are just let them send you bids the whole process was very easy i was impressed on how quick i had everything taken care of.
good luck
bryan

Gordo
01-05-2012, 12:41 AM
I checked out uship and it certainly seems to be the best option yet. Thanks for the help!

gomer202
01-05-2012, 12:53 AM
what part of bc are you from??

gomer202
01-05-2012, 12:54 AM
im on the island not to far from abbotsford

Gordo
01-05-2012, 02:36 AM
I lived in abbotsford for a couple years but im from kamloops.

bryan70546
01-06-2012, 05:36 AM
no problem buddy hope it works out for u