PDA

View Full Version : ESR 350r build..

RIDE-RED 250r
01-03-2012, 06:36 PM
Hello new members! At the request of my brother in law who is a new member here, I'm going to post some pics here of my ESR 350r build. Not fishing for compliments, just thought I'd give our new members a chance to comment. All comments welcome, positive or otherwise. Also, feel free to ask any questions you have.

Hope you like... Joe

First 2 pics are of my R the way it used to be... Stock cylinder bored .060, ESR 38mm Airstryker carb, 1Dir Racing reedblock and torque spacer, high comp head gasket, FMF Fatty with silencer, Hinson basket and pressure plate, ESR billet counterbalancer carrier and all bearings and seals in bottom end/transmission replaced. Chassis wise, nothing real spectacular, Durablue +4 axle, LSR double bearing carrier, all Maier OEM style plastic.

Second 2 pics shows the chassis waiting to be cleaned up while I put the 350 together..

Last pic shows my goodies...

RIDE-RED 250r
01-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Just pics of the assembly stages. I decided to go with the semi-'85 engine color scheme. Painted the cylinder and crankcases by hand myself.. 4 coats on the cyl, 3 on the cases...

RIDE-RED 250r
01-03-2012, 06:42 PM
Oddly enough, in all the excitement, I forgot to take a pic when it was all back together and ready to fire up! :lol:

RIDE-RED 250r
01-03-2012, 06:46 PM
So, in the end, it now has an ESR 350 BB kit with custom TRX9 porting, ESR ATC5 pipe with silencer, ESR reedblock, newly rebuilt crank with old-school Wiseco rod. I stayed with the short rod setup as there is DEFINITELY a spark plug cap clearance issue due to the ESR head having the sparkplug hole straight up as opposed to angled slightly like the stock head. Running the cylinder spacer plate required with the long-rod topend would only worsen that little problem...

Here is a vid of the first start-up. Lemme tell ya, sounds completely different and ALOT meaner!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30siEy0N2UI&context=C33e454dADOEgsToPDskJ9HScJitQ-fzSN5y26wTKo

SO, what do you all think??

dubber97
01-03-2012, 06:55 PM
Very nice build bro!! What were you running before the 350? I have not been a big fan of the big bores, I have a LRD 265 that I ride on the ice and I have not seen a 310 0r 330 that has impressed me enough to step up in cc. Let me know what you think of it, im sure it will be bad a55 either way!

RIDE-RED 250r
01-03-2012, 06:55 PM
Just realized I have a bad case of brain flatulence and posted this in the open forum. I'll PM a mod and see if they could kindly post this in "New Member Discussion"..... :wondering Did ya hear that??? Yeah, that was the sound of me slapping my forehead! LOL!

RIDE-RED 250r
01-03-2012, 06:56 PM
Very nice build bro!! What were you running before the 350? I have not been a big fan of the big bores, I have a LRD 265 that I ride on the ice and I have not seen a 310 0r 330 that has impressed me enough to step up in cc. Let me know what you think of it, im sure it will be bad a55 either way!

Thanks. Unfortunately I probably won't get to ride it, jet in and break it in till spring. I have snow here in NY now and snowy slippery conditions aren't the best conditions to break this thing in...

pantera1975
01-03-2012, 06:57 PM
I can post up some pic of my 330 with the plug in and boot on its no to bad to change the plug. Awhile ago I thought I read people saying the 85 frame is slightly different. Looks nice.

RIDE-RED 250r
01-03-2012, 07:02 PM
I can post up some pic of my 330 with the plug in and boot on its no to bad to change the plug. Awhile ago I thought I read people saying the 85 frame is slightly different. Looks nice.

Yes, I wasn't able to get the OEM plug cap on without pretty much ruining it. I'm going to look for a short 90deg cap. If that doesn't work then I'll be getting some of those BR8ECM shorty plugs...

I would definitely be interested in a pic of your '86 in that area above the head with the plug in....

rjs89ia
01-03-2012, 07:31 PM
on my 85 long rod 310 i have a little clearance issue but still run the stock plug cap it doesnt snap on there all the way but i havent had any issues with it. im gonna try swappin to a ngk 90 plug cap tho so it does snap all the way. there are differences between to 85 and 86 frames too. the 85 has a gusset to the bottom side of the support pipe close to the sparkplug and the lower tank mounts are like a piece of pipe cut in half and welded on with capped threaded ends. the 86 has a support pipe welded in with no gussets and the lower tank mount is what looks to be a piece of 7/16 bar stock with machined in threads. kinda hard to paint a picture with words here but if you saw each bike next to one another you would understand it. im just lucky to have both so i can reference each.

pantera1975
01-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Heres my plug set up it fits on my 86 with no problems the NGK boot # is TBO5EM I cant remember which digit is the cap color but you can get black and I think blue.

RIDE-RED 250r
01-03-2012, 10:26 PM
Yeah, it certainly looks like you have a little more room than I do...

On mine, that gusset that rjs89ia mentioned makes it just a little bit tighter..... It's hard to see in the pic, but the plug cap is right against that brace. And the cap you see is all that left of the OEM cap! LOL! I will be suprised if I'm not able to find a different style or smaller cap that will work. I just need a smidge more room.

RIDE-RED 250r
01-03-2012, 10:52 PM

Oh, and my previous setup was a stock cylinder bored .060, ESR 38mm Airstryker, 1Dir Racing reedblock with torque spacer, high comp head gasket, FMF Fatty pipe and Powercore silencer. Bottom end had all bearings (including transmission) replaced except for lower rod bearing. Hinson clutch basket and pressure plate, ESR billet counterbalancer carrier with balancer bearings, Ricky Stator regulator and stator....

It ran pretty darn respectable. I used to drag my cousin on his lowered, geared, cammed, piped and rev boxxed 450r. He would only beat me on the holeshot because I had such a hard time keeping the front end on the ground, or close to it. Bean bag on the fuel cap and it would still hook and fly up on me. But once I got into 3rd gear he wouldn't pull any farther in front of me..but I couldn't close on him either.. Hopin for some different results next season. I'm sure the holeshot will still be problematic racing against that slammed 450, but I'm hoping to have enough 4th, 5th and 6th gear hp to run him down...

Next project: +4 swingarm... Probably next winter though... outta wheeler money for now. :( But. I'm still happy I was able to pull this off!