PDA

View Full Version : Do '85 and '86 ATC250ES frames interchange?

TheRadBaron
01-04-2012, 12:18 PM
I just brought home a really nice '85 250ES. Well, it's really nice except for the broken and poorly repaired front frame down tube. I looked up the frame part number and it's listed as only fitting the '85 model, though I realize that that might be just because of registration purposes.
I found a good '86 250ES frame locally that I'd like to buy, but I thought that I'd check here first to see if there was any reason that the swap wouldn't work. Honda is usually pretty good at keeping things interchangeable, and I'm betting that even if there is a physical difference it's just with a mounting tab or two. Anyone here know for sure? Thanks a lot.

dustrunner
01-05-2012, 09:07 PM
hi, i have two 85's and three 86,s and i cant visually see a difference. enjoy your new ride, i do mine.. big reds rule..

TheRadBaron
01-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Thanks for looking. I pulled up the parts diagram with the frame for the '85 in one internet tab and the diagram for the '86 in another tab, then I toggled back and forth between the two tabs to see if anything looked different. They were totally identical diagrams.
I know the swingarm was different from '85 to '86. The '85 is a one-piece unit and the '86 is a two-piece. I think they'll interchange, though. I went ahead and bought the frame. It should be here tomorrow so I'll be able to tell for sure.
I'm pretty stoked to get it back together. Since I have it down to the bare frame anyway, I figure it will give me a great opportunity to check everything out, grease, lube, adjust, replace worn parts, etc. It will be one fine machine when I get done with it.