PDA

View Full Version : 1985 yamaha IT 200 compression? carb settings?

3wheeler80
01-04-2012, 08:58 PM
so i traded my honda 185 atc for this bike. found out my honda was burning oil(but still ran great not a ton of power though) which the guy didnt know lol. and when i got this bike it only ran on choke. so i took carb apart and well dirt under needle valve. so fixed that , now im stuck on the carb i messed up the settings. i know the air screw is suppose to set at 1 1/2 turns out but theres another screw i think the gas? when i turn it all the way in it bogs out if imright i turn it out til it idles smooth? okay well i just checked the compression on it and its pushing around 150 psi. ood? oh yeah the bike came with a whole parts bike :D complete motor, gas tank, exhaust, electrical etc etc.

sgtpetrol
01-04-2012, 09:22 PM
sounds like a good deal :D but i couldnt tell you about the carb issue but check if its sucking air thats all i can think of right now i had the same problem with my suzuki lt230 quadsport and what fixed it was tightening the valves but im not entirely sure about your problem

edit: when you get it to idle smooth does it rev back up or just die? because if its that its either running lean or your carb settings are WAAAAY outta wack, let me look up the settings for your carb

so i traded my honda 185 atc for this bike. found out my honda was burning oil(but still ran great not a ton of power though) which the guy didnt know lol. and when i got this bike it only ran on choke. so i took carb apart and well dirt under needle valve. so fixed that , now im stuck on the carb i messed up the settings. i know the air screw is suppose to set at 1 1/2 turns out but theres another screw i think the gas? when i turn it all the way in it bogs out if imright i turn it out til it idles smooth? okay well i just checked the compression on it and its pushing around 150 psi. ood? oh yeah the bike came with a whole parts bike :D complete motor, gas tank, exhaust, electrical etc etc.

3wheeler80
01-04-2012, 09:32 PM
thanks man. yeah ive tried looking up the carb specs could only find the one. and not to sure i know it dont die though . i havent messed with it today though. but when it idles smooth its more boggy when taking off. or it cuts out in power band. so right now i have it idling a little high.

3wheeler80
01-04-2012, 09:35 PM
and for the carb i really dont think its sucking air. il check tomorrow but the carb is spotless new jets and looks like its had a rebuild

MonroeMike
01-05-2012, 06:01 AM
Standard
Air screw - 3/4 of a turn out.
Needle clip - 4th position.

TheRadBaron
01-05-2012, 09:05 AM
IT's are awesome bikes. My first full-size dirt bike was a '78 IT175. I've got a '76 IT400 project (first year for the IT) that I was working on for a while, but it kind of got put on the backburner when I picked up an '81 IT465 last year. The 465 is considered by many IT aficionados to be the best model. The 490 has better suspension (rising-rate linkage rear vs. the 465's linkageless), but the 465 engine is supposed to be much sweeter than the 490.
My 465 doesn't need much, just a crank rebuild and top end, but I've recently been bit by the 3-wheeler bug and I've been spending all my time and money playing with them.
You'll love that IT when you get it running right.

3wheeler80
01-05-2012, 11:10 PM
RadBaron--I have it running good, the right side crank case gasket was not fully sealed. fixed that :D thing scares me now lol.
Monroe mike-- what do you mean 3/4 like almost two full turns? not sure what i have it at right now but had it out today riding since we got nice weather today and after i threw some high performance oil in well you get the point haha

MonroeMike
01-05-2012, 11:47 PM
No, I mean 3/4, 1/4 less than one full turn.

I got that from the manual, it's a starting point, fine tune from there.

3wheeler80
01-08-2012, 05:42 AM
That's what I thought . But I have the fuel screw jacked up on it and I have had the Idle turned out at 1 and a half but like as soon as I turn the fuel out a little it starts idling high. I don't think the fuel screw stays turn all the way in?