PDA

View Full Version : 83 185s carb help

ZacH_GrifF
01-05-2012, 02:23 AM
When I go to plug my gas line up to my carb gas starts pouring out of the hose on the bottom of the carb does anybody know whats wrong.

another owner
01-05-2012, 03:13 AM
Would most likely be your float either stuck open or has worn and not closing entrance for fuel to enter the bowl. You can try adjusting the float, But in most cases from what i understand the materials wears out causing the float to sink. Try adjusting the float first, If not give the carb a good pull-a'part and soak it in carby clean or brake clean. I had the same problem with the buggy i had turned out it just needed a good clean after sitting for a year and a bit, Would just overflow with fuel but still run semi-alright.

Ibsmalley
01-05-2012, 05:16 AM
Try blowing some air into the fuel inlet....sometimes it works to clear out the needle and seat. Otherwise its gonna have to have the bowl taken off and possibly clean it and the needle and make sure there is no holes in the float causing it to sink. These are very easy carbs to rebuild. If you do make sure and take trailprotrailpro time and clean everything very well. Before you put it back together test your needle and seat for leaking/sticking open. Also when you take out/clean any of the mixture ports, make sure you write down how many turn out they were so tuning is easier.

Ibsmalley
01-05-2012, 05:19 AM
Oh and also....what's happening is the bowl is over filling and running out the over flow. That's why its coming out of the hose. There is a brass tube u will see when apart that has some small holes on the top which provides for the overflow protection. Keeps the motor from filling with fuel in these situations.

ZacH_GrifF
01-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Thanks guys I think what I'm goin to do is get a rebuid kit or a new carb.

BiggDogg
01-05-2012, 10:40 AM
I had the same problem on my klt. I actually thought that line the gas was dripping out of was cut from somewhere, but my bike was running fine. I now am going to pull it and give it a good clean later this weekend

Ibsmalley
01-05-2012, 01:34 PM
Save yourself some money and just clean yours out first. If the bowl gasket doesn't rip you're golden. Just clean and reinstall. A little cleaning goes a long way with these. Good luck I hope that thing is tearing up dirt soon!

ZacH_GrifF
01-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Is there anything i should soke it in besides carb cleaner to brake everything loose?

BiggDogg
01-05-2012, 09:34 PM
I read somewhere once that u can soak them in gasoline. I did that to my snowblower carb, it worked to get all the grime off

ZacH_GrifF
01-05-2012, 09:57 PM
Good news i took the carb apart and sprayed the float and float valve with carb spray and soaked it for a little bit then put it back together and now it dosnt leak any more. Thanks guys.

muthey
01-05-2012, 10:36 PM
on a side note just soaking doesn't always get all the crud out, sometimes it helps immensely if you pull all the jets and o-rings replacing o-rings and use compressed air on the jets

ZacH_GrifF
01-05-2012, 11:24 PM
Yea i know but right now all im trying to do is get it running i bought it a while back for $150 and it was all there but it had no spark. i finely found out it was the stator after shotguning my way through all the electronics. Im going to by a brand new carb once i get it running. And the kid who had it before me painted the whole thing white so iam trying to get all that off too.

Do you know a good brand of Carb?

muthey
01-05-2012, 11:26 PM
watch out for the e-bay off brand carbs for 35$, they are not oem like is stamped on them and they are hit or miss on functionality.

ZacH_GrifF
01-05-2012, 11:53 PM
Any "good" brands of carbs?