PDA

View Full Version : Bent and rusted 350x Exhust How to restore

loowho
01-06-2012, 12:49 PM
Could I heat and straighten an exhust muffler?
What type of of heat paint would be best.
Thanks

rodeofan5656
01-06-2012, 12:59 PM
to straighten it, im not sure. but with paint, i would go with automotive header/exhaust ceramic coating. its like spray paint, but made for high heat and exhaust parts

loowho
01-06-2012, 01:04 PM
Thanks man,
I bought this 350 x like 7 years ago from a guy and just rode it to death.
Now starting to clean it up and do some parts here and there.
Major project with the bearing carrier.
Its been sitting for 4 years 3 kicks and started cleaned carb, air filter removed mouse house and so on.

JJMF1979
01-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Vht paint works good but make sure you cure it properly, 139257 I soaked mine in vinegar and salt first for a few days to take all the rust off then gave her a light sand for adhesion

rodeofan5656
01-06-2012, 04:05 PM
Thanks man,
I bought this 350 x like 7 years ago from a guy and just rode it to death.
Now starting to clean it up and do some parts here and there.
Major project with the bearing carrier.
Its been sitting for 4 years 3 kicks and started cleaned carb, air filter removed mouse house and so on.

im actually takin the carrier apart this weekend on my 200x. when you rock it side to side, the swingarm moves alittle but the axle stays in place. not sure how bad the inside is, but im hopin i just need to replace the bearings and seals. if i have to replace the whole carrier i think ill go to RAD Mfg. and get the aluminum race carrier for $300

rodeofan5656
01-06-2012, 04:08 PM
Vht paint works good but make sure you cure it properly, 139257 I soaked mine in vinegar and salt first for a few days to take all the rust off then gave her a light sand for adhesion

VHT paint is easiest to find, but not as good (when/if exposed to the elements) as ceramic. the paint will wear faster than the ceramic, but is alot easier to use and usually cheaper. just depends on how hard and where your gonna ride

P.S. usin ceramic is almost like wrappin the pipes with fiberglass wrap, like the oldskool bobbers have

JJMF1979
01-06-2012, 04:38 PM
I have a hard time finding ceramic do you know where i could look online?

jb2wheels
01-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Duplicolor hi-temp works great for me. It's available in TX USA at both Advance Auto Parts amnd O'Reilly Auto Parts. Significantly cheaper at O'Reilly.

I've also recently used VHT and RustOLeum hi temp but I like the duplicolor much better. Better flow. Better chemical resistance. Doesn't burn off as easily.

rodeofan5656
01-07-2012, 08:06 PM
I have a hard time finding ceramic do you know where i could look online?

i just tried to find some and i cant find any either! i know the last place i saw it was summitracing, but now its like they dont carry it

loowho
01-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Hi Rodeo,
I just talked to Kirk at RAD Mfd. he had great tech advice on which carrier to go with if you order a carrier call and talk to kirk and he can steer you in the right direction. Good luck man