PDA

View Full Version : honda 250 big red value ?

dustrunner
01-08-2012, 05:28 PM
hello every1. i was wondering what the pro's think a 1 owner 1985 honda 250 es with title , it runs but needs carb. cleaned to be perfect, has cheap but good nobby tires . needs a gas tank , the original fenders on the back have a few cracks, the rear rack is bent pretty good , the forks and front end a perfect and has a good battery and starter. the guy wants 500 $ for it firm ??

JJMF1979
01-08-2012, 05:32 PM
Sounds a bit high to me but depends what it looks like and what they go for in your area

matt3x
01-08-2012, 06:02 PM
cosmetics are usually a cheaper or easy fix. how is the tyranny how does it shift and how is the rear end internally? these are more important questions

DocBA
01-08-2012, 08:45 PM
You might check around and see what bikes similar to that are going for locally, location makes a huge difference with these as they are now kind of a niche market. However the larger variable is how much do you want THAT particular trike?

dustrunner
01-08-2012, 09:32 PM
cosmetics are usually a cheaper or easy fix. how is the tyranny how does it shift and how is the rear end internally? these are more important questions it runs and moves ok, but in this area in ny the plastics, tank and seat is the most important part to come up with without killing my piggy bank. ususally those engines last a lifetime and i skid logs with my current beaters and i mean big logs and fortunately havent had any rear end problems.. is that a common problem ?

dustrunner
01-08-2012, 09:36 PM
You might check around and see what bikes similar to that are going for locally, location makes a huge difference with these as they are now kind of a niche market. However the larger variable is how much do you want THAT particular trike? yes how true. of coarse i want it but im also thinking that the $ is to much, by the time i get it dolled up i would have more $ into it than i could someday buy a nice clean unit if im lucky. hehe

350XJEDI
01-08-2012, 09:45 PM
i would try 450 then order a tank off ebay maybe ziptie the fenders and not worry bout cosmetics the seats are easy to recover just hit up one of the sewing / hobby shops for materails as long as you have the seat pan. the rearends do need maintained but never get it so then they fail so check the machanicals carefully ,, 500 is not to bad with a title , good luck

DocBA
01-08-2012, 09:54 PM
I look on craigslist a lot, here they run between 200 and 600. However some of those are over priced and some are a screaming deal, seems like there are a lot of really proud trike owners when they go to sell them. Before they sell them it's jut a pile of trash behind a barn. To be honest with you 500 for a running bike with a clear title isn't that bad.

jckochan1617
01-08-2012, 10:03 PM
id say 500 is a bit high as well.... id say offer 350 and go no more than 400

JJMF1979
01-08-2012, 10:33 PM
ya offer 350 and maybe he will bite the fenders and that are easy to find as long as it is sound mechanically

Knobby Addict
01-08-2012, 11:23 PM
Q,
I see your posted as NY. As a reference we picked a 1985 up today in Ct for $400, fair plastics, ripped seat, straight steel, runs, needs a tank and some luv to ride. IMO $500 seems fair for a complete turnkey unit, especially if it has side panels!

weidjd
01-08-2012, 11:53 PM
Any pics of it? How nice do you want it to be? Just a driver or showroom?

dustrunner
01-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Q,
I see your posted as NY. As a reference we picked a 1985 up today in Ct for $400, fair plastics, ripped seat, straight steel, runs, needs a tank and some luv to ride. IMO $500 seems fair for a complete turnkey unit, especially if it has side panels! yes the side panels are mint.. are they that valuable ?? theleft rear fender has a hairline crack just in front of the black side moulding and the r has a star crack in the same place but are still pretty nice. i bought a new plastic tank for 1 last year and its not very pretty and the hose keeps coming off the gas cap especially when doing a wheelie and gas is all over me...ugg

dustrunner
01-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Any pics of it? How nice do you want it to be? Just a driver or showroom? well it could be pretty nice , lo miles so i thought about fixen it up , but i have 2 of those sitting in my garage all ready that i got a good deal on so im think im becoming a hoarder. omg i guess i better let some1 else have at it.. he he

STiForester
01-10-2012, 12:58 AM
from experience, i buy and restore/bring trikes back to life... something that deos not run tends to need some TLC. with good plastics and original owner with paperwork. if it has carb but doesnt run and all other parts are there i would say somewhere in the ballpark of $350-375..... CHECK THE DIF FLUID BEFORE MAKING AN OFFER if its murky or muddy or anything like that than offer him $250.... thats gonna be a big deal... they tend to allow water to leak in when riden around water a lot.... racks and plastics and a good motor you can part out for over $350... because you cant hear it run and listent to the valves and check the clutch play than the price in my opinion goes way down.... check dif fluid and if looks good, offer $325... i wouldnt pay more than $450 absolutely maximum