PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone straightened a bent exhust

loowho
01-09-2012, 08:46 PM
Has anyone straightened a bent exhust pipe?

STiForester
01-10-2012, 01:04 AM
on a 2 stroke no i havent... 4 stroke... eh you can try to but be careful of breaking or cracking it.... also i have seen people fix dented expansion chambers by closing off one end and filling the pipe with water and putting it in the freezer

campdrew
01-13-2012, 01:25 PM
You may be able to put it in a press and take your time and straighten it back out.

rodeofan5656
01-13-2012, 01:31 PM
it depends where the bend is and how bad it is. can you post a picture of it?

JJMF1979
01-13-2012, 03:50 PM
think it would work using water in the freezer to pop a big dent out of a gas tank? or is that just a stupid idea, might be worth a try as i am not gonna use it anyways with the dent in it

rodeofan5656
01-13-2012, 04:09 PM
the whole left side of my tank is dented in, have no idea how it got there. it doesnt affect anythin but the look. i think we should still try it though! see whose gets fixed first ;) haha

JJMF1979
01-13-2012, 04:19 PM
I have mine in thr freezer right now lol

STiForester
01-13-2012, 07:11 PM
Haha Ive never done a tank but I have done countless expansion pipes. Let me know how it goes with the tank!! You may have to do it a few times due to the fact water will only expand a certain amount when frozen... Also what about your breather on the cap?? Hmmm let me know!!!!

JJMF1979
01-13-2012, 07:19 PM
Haha Ive never done a tank but I have done countless expansion pipes. Let me know how it goes with the tank!! You may have to do it a few times due to the fact water will only expand a certain amount when frozen... Also what about your breather on the cap?? Hmmm let me know!!!!

I figured i might have to do it a cpl times due to expansion rate and i just put some plastice wrap over the opening before adding the cap........i'll let you guys know what happens i figure it will work good tank metal being thinner and all but well see

rodeofan5656
01-14-2012, 03:36 AM
I have mine in thr freezer right now lol

i lose already. my trikes outta town till tomoro lol

JJMF1979
01-14-2012, 01:13 PM
So i had the tank in the freezer overnight just checked still not frozen solid! also i'm thinking i should have filled it up completely to add more pressure so i might have to do it again, i left it with a little room at top so i didn't get to much pressure and split the seams or anything but i might have left to much so if it doesn't do the trick then i am gonna thaw and go for totally full....In theory this should work!!!

rodeofan5656
01-14-2012, 09:53 PM
So i had the tank in the freezer overnight just checked still not frozen solid! also i'm thinking i should have filled it up completely to add more pressure so i might have to do it again, i left it with a little room at top so i didn't get to much pressure and split the seams or anything but i might have left to much so if it doesn't do the trick then i am gonna thaw and go for totally full....In theory this should work!!!

definately post or make a thread on it, if it works. eventually, i wanna get that big dent outta mine

Thorpe
01-14-2012, 09:59 PM
Tanks dent, big knee dent? Easy fix... Long reach padded vise grips, (Irwin # 24SP) Empty tank, bolted to the frame of the trike, tape the swivel pads with a few layers of masking tape, (to prevent scratches) reach the clamp down through the filler neck, clamp on the dent, (centered) one pad inside the tank, other one outside, and pull on the outside of the vise grips... Pop out the dent. 10 minutes later, its good as new...

Thorpe
01-14-2012, 10:02 PM
Has anyone straightened a bent exhust pipe?

Depending on the pipe, I would probably just cut out the bad spot, and piece in a new section/sections of dom tubing...

JJMF1979
01-14-2012, 10:04 PM
thorpes idea is probebly better lol thanks thorpe if the water doesn't work i'll be doing what you said

loowho
01-14-2012, 10:04 PM
I have a bad bend after the head pipe, after where the rear brake set up is, it is actually the last bend before the can. there are a few welds there and the metal seems thin. Going to try to heat it and give it some pressure and some hammer time! we will see if it will work. I am going to freeze my 80 z50r tank tomorrow for shits and giggles. Built a nice rear rack out of angle tonight.
Thanks for the info guys.

loowho
01-14-2012, 10:06 PM
A buddy of mine plugs the gas cap then blows real hard into the petcock and blows the damn dents right out. lol

JJMF1979
01-15-2012, 01:08 PM
water in the tank worked but i didn't fill it up enough for it to push it out all the way!!! just gonna use the other vise grip technique

snap911
01-15-2012, 04:32 PM
Haha Ive never done a tank but I have done countless expansion pipes. Let me know how it goes with the tank!! You may have to do it a few times due to the fact water will only expand a certain amount when frozen... Also what about your breather on the cap?? Hmmm let me know!!!! i have a few pipes with dented expansion chambers. i won a nice one on ebay "with no dents" that turned out to not be true. if i fill it with water and freeze it a few times the dent will pop out?

STiForester
01-15-2012, 07:44 PM
Yes I've done it before. Just have to seal one end and fill it all the way and seal the other end and freeze it

rodeofan5656
01-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Tanks dent, big knee dent? Easy fix... Long reach padded vise grips, (Irwin # 24SP) Empty tank, bolted to the frame of the trike, tape the swivel pads with a few layers of masking tape, (to prevent scratches) reach the clamp down through the filler neck, clamp on the dent, (centered) one pad inside the tank, other one outside, and pull on the outside of the vise grips... Pop out the dent. 10 minutes later, its good as new...

yes, a big knee dent. if i cant get padded vise grips, can i used somethin else?
you can kinda see the dent in this pic. it doesnt look too bad in this picture

loowho
01-18-2012, 09:50 AM
Thorpe
The dent is on a bend which is prob. restricting flow. What type of tubing whould be best.
I am going to stop by the muffler shop today to see if the have any scrap bins of bends or elbows. Going to try to piece in a section. My concern is that the stock exhust is pretty thin walled and exhust tubing is a little thicker any problems with that?
Thanks

loowho
01-18-2012, 09:52 AM
Oh Rodeo nice work on the lights.

rodeofan5656
01-18-2012, 10:27 AM
Oh Rodeo nice work on the lights.

thanks. i used a piece of angle-aluminum 15" long to mount the lights. i wanted that baja look, but the lights werent quite big enuf. i got close tho! i think i posted a thread thats got the first lights i tried, then these. im pretty sure its under "My Headlight Fab Work" or somethin of the like

loowho
01-18-2012, 02:55 PM
yeah saw that one. Went to the muffler shop and the said they have tons of opps bends but would not give em up for free.
I am gonna bring up the muff. and try to match something up to the bends.

pullen
01-18-2012, 07:49 PM
Ya doubt the water will work it'll prob just bust off the gas cap or something nd it'll leak

Thorpe
01-19-2012, 05:22 PM
yes, a big knee dent. if i cant get padded vise grips, can i used somethin else?
you can kinda see the dent in this pic. it doesnt look too bad in this picture

That dent would pop real nice with the vise grip trick....

Thorpe
01-19-2012, 05:25 PM
Thorpe
The dent is on a bend which is prob. restricting flow. What type of tubing whould be best.
I am going to stop by the muffler shop today to see if the have any scrap bins of bends or elbows. Going to try to piece in a section. My concern is that the stock exhust is pretty thin walled and exhust tubing is a little thicker any problems with that?
Thanks

I would measure the o.d. of the pipe, and buy the appropriate bends in a d.o.m. tube... I buy mine from the guys at http://www.heartthrobexhaust.com/
I have bought lots of tubes for small motors to big diameter long tube headers for big block motors... All it takes is a little patience, cut and splice, and a few welds...

rodeofan5656
01-25-2012, 09:57 AM
That dent would pop real nice with the vise grip trick....

these are the only vise grips i got available at the moment. but i think theyre too short. not sure if the loooong ones will fit in there due to the hump where the frame backbone is...

STiForester
01-25-2012, 09:54 PM
I hve an exhaust for a 250sx of you need