PDA

View Full Version : Intake help

ZacH_GrifF
01-10-2012, 01:15 AM
My 83 185s has a small crack in the intake boot btween the carb and the head would that in any way keep the trike from starting? I just got it a and i finally got it to get a spark and now im trying to get it to crank and it wont. Any help is appreciated.

STiForester
01-10-2012, 01:29 AM
yes it will cause it to lean out and possibly do motor damage if you run it that way... get new boot... clean all grounds and connections and you should get spark.. new intake boot and fresh connections everywhere and a thorough carb cleaning you should be great

ZacH_GrifF
01-10-2012, 01:35 AM
I cleaned my carb all ready and replaced just about all the electronics on it and i know i have a spark so just for right now if i put some jb stick on the crack would it try to crank?

ZacH_GrifF
01-10-2012, 04:04 AM
On a side note will a loose header pipe affect my cylinder compression test

STiForester
01-10-2012, 07:14 AM
It will affect your back pressure so I would said yes but no I would replace the boot all together. I went through that with my Tecate and even touched it up and it ran like sh****t. Gotta get the new boot and tighten those pipes up. You should be golden after that. Every little thing counts. Too much air =no firing

Thresher
01-10-2012, 10:19 AM
Is the plug wet after trying to start it? Is the fuel fresh? Valves will affect compression if they are out of adjustment, but should still start, will be rough. Sounds like fuel is not getting to cylinder, use electrical tape around the cracked boot temporarily until you get a replacement, if it is sucking air through the crack and not through the carb, then no gas! Make sure the air filter is clean.

STiForester
01-10-2012, 10:53 AM
This goes against everything I stand for but permatex the boot for now and check for a wet plug. I always adjust valves and timing on a motor when I get it if it doesn't start second kick. If you adjust the valves and it starts first kick than you know that was mainly if not your only problem. Buy new boot though. If you can't find one in a trike junkyard or new than there are a few people who have used parts and there are some that remake discontinued parts on here

ZacH_GrifF
01-10-2012, 06:58 PM
Thanks guys my pull rope broke so once i get a new one on i will tape it up and see if it trys to crank. I was going to check the plug for wetness but when my rope broke i got fustrated and forgot to do it while it was fresh.

STiForester
01-10-2012, 11:13 PM
yea sounds good... while your waiting for a new pull start spend the $50 on a new boot buddy.... well worth it

hoosierlogger
01-11-2012, 06:30 AM
I have an intake boot that will fit it. PM me if you are interested.